WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

It won't be long before Internet enabled devices (beyond a cell phone) and high speed wireless are widely used on the AT. iPad, Kindle and others will be carried by many.

Images

What is an iPad???? I keep hearing about but still haven't seen one.

I think the Kindle only makes sense for backpackers. I might look into getting one if they're light enough and have a long battery life.
    Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit, and as vital to our lives as water and good bread.
    -Edward Abbey

Images

Nevermind....the kindle is huge and fragile looking.
    Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit, and as vital to our lives as water and good bread.
    -Edward Abbey

The Kindle itself is about the size of a steno pad and very lightweight. The battery life is phenominal (talking days here, not hours, as long as you don't have the wifi turned on). That said, I'd never take my Kindle along because the protective cover for mine weighs a ton. I'll stick with a paperback.

Quote Originally Posted by Luddite View Post
    What is an iPad???? I keep hearing about but still haven't seen one.
    Basically a big iPod Touch - http://www.apple.com/ipad/

Quote Originally Posted by Luddite View Post
    Nevermind....the kindle is huge and fragile looking.
    There are two models, one is huge, the other is just a little bigger than a paperback, weighs less, and has great battery life, especially with the wireless off.

As for fragile, not particularly as gadgets go, but I wouldn't call it rugged either.

As this is a thread about Internet access, I will point out that the Kindle's Internet access software is really awful. Yes, you technically get unlimited Internet with it, but it's painful to use it.

I still say screw all those fancy phones and little devices that overpriced with not so many options! For all the capabilities of a laptop, get a small lightweight netbook,plus they have a long battery life (6-8hrs avg). I love my laptop but when it comes to hiking the netbook is the way to go... Mine has been field tested and has survived in a ziploc bag and packed within my clothes. I hike in the PA Wilds so I dont have internet access and use mine for purposes other than internet such as photo storage, music, and writing.... but you know once your in towns your going to pick up wifi.

Here are some examples: http://www.cnet.com/topic/netbook.html

I know DELL has some nice ones that come in all different colors!

Quote Originally Posted by greenmtnboy View Post
    Computers should be banned on the A/T, there should be specific guidelines with regard to what is acceptable, what is permitted, and what is not.
    I'll bite. Why? And try to answer without inferring that you know what's best for anyone other than yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by hellomolly View Post
    I'll bite. Why? And try to answer without inferring that you know what's best for anyone other than yourself.
    good luck with that

Images

Quote Originally Posted by SoSuttle View Post
    Just wondering the best way to keep up with my email while on the trail. Can I bring a small internet capable laptop or just rely on my cell phone? Is wifi or broadband available while on the trail? Any help would be appreciated.
    I think that a lap top will take up too much space in your pack and may get broken. Something like an IPhone 3G or 4G would be ideal.

Panzer

An interesting device - Books, Internet, long battery life... getting there

http://www.pcworld.com/article/20215...html?&tk=hp_fv

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Man View Post
    An interesting device - Books, Internet, long battery life... getting there

http://www.pcworld.com/article/20215...html?&tk=hp_fv

Via xkcd:

Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

I keep my lap top right next to the canned food to balance the pack nicely.

Images

It won't be long before Internet enabled devices (beyond a cell phone) and high speed wireless are widely used on the AT. iPad, Kindle and others will be carried by many.

That time is already here. Tons of electronics in use at the hostel. So many devices are being recharged, I am surprised a circuit breaker doesn't pop !!!
    Order your copy of the Appalachian Trail Passport at www.ATPassport.com

Green Mountain House Hostel
    Manchester Center, VT

http://www.greenmountainhouse.net

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
    That time is already here. Tons of electronics in use at the hostel. So many devices are being recharged, I am surprised a circuit breaker doesn't pop !!!
    Sure, but perhaps I wasn't clear. I was referring to fully web enabled devices that doesn't leave you wanting to get on a PC at the library or wherever. Many devices do parts of that, but they are not quite there yet, IMO. YMMV

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
    Sure, but perhaps I wasn't clear. I was referring to fully web enabled devices that doesn't leave you wanting to get on a PC at the library or wherever. Many devices do parts of that, but they are not quite there yet, IMO. YMMV
    and battery life is a significant part of the untethered equation - getting there, but not yet

"I was referring to fully web enabled devices that doesn't leave you wanting to get on a PC at the library or wherever. Many devices do parts of that, but they are not quite there yet, IMO. YMMV "
    Are you the Tin Man that hiked the AT this year with Sweet Potatoes and Half Pint, aka the croquet boys? Just curious --- based on your join date and his age, I'm guessing not ...

I used my three-year-old smartphone on the trail this year, and rarely had the urge to seek out a library or hostel "real" computer. Just a couple of things were easier to do with a full-sized screen and in some cases faster access (though when I had fast wi-fi, my phone was fairly fast too). I do carry a separate folding bluetooth keyboard, and used the same combination on the PCT in 2008, so --- depending on the quality of experience you're looking for --- I think we've been "there" for quite some time.

Now, my AT&T coverage was weak in the south, great in from Penn to Vermont, and non-existant in NH and ME, but I almost always found wi-fi in towns somehow to upload journal entries and photos, read (and infrequently reply) to emails, etc.
    Gadget
    PCT: 2008 NOBO, AT: 2010 NOBO, CDT: 2011 SOBO, PNT: 2014+2016

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BrianLe View Post
    Are you the Tin Man that hiked the AT this year with Sweet Potatoes and Half Pint, aka the croquet boys? Just curious --- based on your join date and his age, I'm guessing not ...
    No, I don't think so either.. Sweet Potatoes, Half Pint and Tin Man and I were within a few miles of each other all the way from Gorham to Kathadin. I managed to pass them once but they passed me back and I trailed them the rest of the way. Uncle Frank, Reckless and Boomerang were in the same pack as well - I spent a fair amount of time with them.

My husband got an IPad this Spring. He LOVES it. It is funny this topic is here as I asked him yesterday if he'd want to pack the thing in his backpack. He said yes (of course). It weights just over 1 lb so it's not a lightweight. I personally would NOT pack one...too much weight for me...all the necessities are heavy enough as it is. He's got books on that thing, spreadsheets, etc...it pretty much does as much as a laptop and it is definitely lighter than one (for those of you thinking of taking a laptop).

I went out in May from Hogpen Gap to Winding Stair Gap with a Verizon phone (very small little flip phone) and an IPhone. The Iphone was almost useless for lack of an AT &T signal for most of the trip...particularly the farther north I got...but I had a some music and audiobooks on it for entertainment at night in my tent before going to sleep. Otherwise I did not use it much at all. The Verizon phone worked every place except Big Spring Shelter near Albert Mtn. I was too tired to walk back up the hill to the fire tower to try there so I did not call home that night.

The couple of nights the IPhone did have a signal, it was Edge...not 3G...but I was able to check my email and answer a couple short ones. Once I was on the internet on it...but it was slow as I remember.

It turned out to be a good idea to take both phones as when one worked the other would not....at least for folks that really need to stay in touch with the outside world...as I must.

Quote Originally Posted by BrianLe View Post

I used my three-year-old smartphone on the trail this year, and rarely had the urge to seek out a library or hostel "real" computer. Just a couple of things were easier to do with a full-sized screen and in some cases faster access (though when I had fast wi-fi, my phone was fairly fast too). I do carry a separate folding bluetooth keyboard, and used the same combination on the PCT in 2008, so --- depending on the quality of experience you're looking for --- I think we've been "there" for quite some time.

Now, my AT&T coverage was weak in the south, great in from Penn to Vermont, and non-existant in NH and ME, but I almost always found wi-fi in towns somehow to upload journal entries and photos, read (and infrequently reply) to emails, etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by 10-K View Post
    No, I don't think so either.. Sweet Potatoes, Half Pint and Tin Man and I were within a few miles of each other all the way from Gorham to Kathadin. I managed to pass them once but they passed me back and I trailed them the rest of the way. Uncle Frank, Reckless and Boomerang were in the same pack as well - I spent a fair amount of time with them.
    Correct, not that Tin Man... usually people confuse me with Anti-Gravity Tin Man. I really need a new name. Sigh.

Brian, Glad you are 'there' with your internet experience on the trail. I would need more than what your phone gives you. But then, I don't want any when I am on the trail. It is fun seeing where this is all going though...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++