WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Registered User Different Socks's Avatar
    Images

Red face

Mine is June 17. Best one was on the PCT in 1996. Sitting on the porch at KM when the store owner walks up with a 12 pack of coke on ice in a box and on a plate was 7 big muffins with one in the middle with a lit candle stuck in it. She starts singing Happy Birthday and within seconds all the hikers joined in, singing to me.

My sister had mailed the lady a check and asked her to do something special for my birthday. Guys and gals.....................I just about cried when I called her to say thanks for such a great birthday.

My birthday is March 2nd. back in the mid 70's (yes they had birthdays back then) I celibrated 3 consecutive cool night birthdays hiking/camping Ct/Mass sections

Images

A friend of mine and I were hiking for a week in the Smokies, and her birthday fell in the middle of that week. I hid away two hostess cupcakes in my pack for two days without crushing them, and then when we stopped to take a rest at Low Gap, I lit a candle in each one and sang her happy birthday. It was so simple, but she absolutely loved it.

Registered User Different Socks's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jeepocachers View Post
    A friend of mine and I were hiking for a week in the Smokies, and her birthday fell in the middle of that week. I hid away two hostess cupcakes in my pack for two days without crushing them, and then when we stopped to take a rest at Low Gap, I lit a candle in each one and sang her happy birthday. It was so simple, but she absolutely loved it.

See, that's why it was so great!!

I retired from work on the Friday in England and was on the AT by Sunday afternoon. After two weeks on the trail near Catawba I had my 60th birthday on my own in a shelter.I thought now I have officially finished work. Due to have my 66th in Maine this September.

wow, all great responses. i have been awy from a computer for a while. To come back to see all these great stories is awesome. i cant wait to get back so i can restart this thread with my own story...raining or not blisters and shin splints alike im sure itll probably be the best birthday ive had yet
    miles to go before i sleep
    miles to go

Images

6.6.6 My birthday date on the year of my hike. I just received my trailname a coupla days before In Harpers Ferry. Later, I found out It's actually the national day of recognition for my "trailname" as well, weird!

I ended up at High Point and soared like an eagle up on High Point with a few friends for an hour or two. Saw an old goat that day out in the woods.

Hiked on down to PenMar where we met a cute female Officer of the law that was recon'n the area for a section hike next weekend. Well after about 15minutes at the overlook, we yogi'd a ride to the KFC for a a coupla buckets o chik'n and 2 cases of Yuengling. Belly's full we watched the sunset and then spread out to sleep below the deck on the grass lawn. We were giggled to sleep by the discussions of several teenagers sitting 15feet above us-schmokin/drinkin/n relating stories about stealing wiid from their parents and using dldos w/ their bff's. They finally noticed us b/c I started snoring so they left and we slept in the pavilion. I think it's the only birthday I can even remember.

The next night I heard that three hikers got tickets for camping there, so if there is a party-git there-safety in numbers!!! And remember you're not sleeping--You're just 'resting your eyes'
    See ya when I get there.

I believe it is Sly's birthday today.., "Happy Birthday Bobby!"

Images

december 29th. bad day for a trail bday, kinda bad all around.. what with one present for two events as a kid, and it being sandwiched between christmas and new years, all but a few good friends manage to not forget its there. makes cleaning out my address books and contact lists a bit easier though. ill try to keep warm on my bday and enjoy the serenity, making sure to set my tent up long before the alcohol sets up camp
    I broke a mirror in my house. I'm supposed to get seven years bad luck but my lawyer thinks he can get me five.

Images

July 14th... This year I was hiking alone and was pretty depressed at Fahnsworth State Park in NY on the 13th, so I got a ride into Fishkill and checked into the Holiday Inn. I stayed a couple of days. For my birthday I treated myself to two movies and a nice Italian dinner with a little wine.

It was not the birthday I had visioned with hikers. But it got me back on the trail, instead of headed home.

Images

My birthday is tomorrow 10/8 and I am hiking the Trillium Gap Trail in the GSMNP up to Mount LeConte Lodge for lunch. I am taking my wife who has never been and really doesn't hike that much at all so I hope it goes well.

I'll be celebrating my 45th on Oct. 24 at Harpers Ferry and I can't wait. Any suggestions where to get a nice meal?

Images

I spent my 27th birthday on the trail in Colorado, the Weminuche Wilderness to be exact. Gudy Gaskill (of Colorado Trail fame) made me a large pan of sauteed mushrooms for dinner. She was also a past-president of the Colorado Mycological Society, so I figured I could trust her selection of mushrooms. :-)

Images

:banana Oct 20 on the trail

My birthday is Oct 20. I should be somewhere around Standing Indian shelter,
    I might go down to the campground & yogi a ride into town

With luck and the creek don't rise next August I'll get to spend my 64th somewhere along the trail.

I will be turning 25 on the trail this year as well. July 24. I have no idea what I will be doing or where I'll be but I'll make it enjoyable.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Tarlin View Post
    I have never celebrated a birthday while on the Trail and in retrospect, this is probably a good thing.

My birthday is the twelfth of November and I'm pretty sure I don't belong on the Trail then, at least not in New England.
    My birthday is next month (Nov. 13) and I'll be on the trail with my wife near Hot Springs, NC. It'll be cold - but I badly wanted to be hiking on my birthday this year...so I'll make the best of it. I'll have my wife with me, and with any luck we probably won't see a soul on the trail so it'll be nice to have some alone time with her (we have 3 little kids so this doesn't happen very often).

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++