WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

My miniature hommade Amateur Radio Transceiver. A hiker named SloGoin designed it and I built it. It weighs about 2 oz and fits into a little altoids tin. I was able to lay in my sleeping bag with my morse code key in my hand and earbuds in my ears and communicate with friends all around the United States while the other hikers bunked right next to me heard nothing at all and thought I was sleeping. This rig also won me the top prize in the Hommade Gear Contest at Damascus Trail Days 2005.

AT hiker 2005
    trail name MacGyver
    my alias: Beartrack
    Last edited by beartrack1; 01-02-2006 at 01:00.

There are several of the kit morse code radios for altoids tins out there including the rock mite, the pixie, etc. Probably the best small CW rig is the AT Sprint III, but I don't think it's usually put inside an altoids tin.

http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/4758

Images

got to say the hubba at 3 lbs and the kettle at 4 oz. and the black dimond ion hedlamp, about 1 oz

I've got two favorite items.

1st, my Kavu Chilba hat. Looks like is should be in the fields in vietnam. It is great for shade, and even better when it is raining. It is like wearing an umbrella.

2nd, my 900 ML Evernew Titanium cookset. Weighs 4 oz and is big enough to pack just about any stove you have inside it. $40 at REI

1. Jagbag silk liner in a silk stuff sack. Smaller than a hard roll. 4.7 oz.

2. Super Cat alcohol stove. .38 oz.

3. Stainless steel 2 cup pot with knobbed lid. 4.8 oz. Fits perfectly on Super Cat. $1 at Yankee Dollar.

#1 My 7.2 oz Gore Tex Bivy Sac from Mont-Bell. There is NO better shelter than one that does not need to be staked, tied or assembled at the end of a long day of hiking. Ya I love my HH, but not like my bivy.

#2 Photon micro light. Very lite with plenty of light to do camp chores. No, I do not hike at night.

Images

I love my montbell Thermawrap 8.8 oz and of course my HH ULBA with the JRB quilts
    :datz May the four winds blow me safely to Maine.

www.trailjournals.com/cheesewhiz

real thin microfiber socks picked up at Wallyworld. Without which I blister like a slab of bacon on the sun. BTW I'm not an UL hiker, but these socks weight next to nothing.

Default the worlds lightest...............

burdon lifted apon touching the A T on my birthday 3/ 4/ 06 ?.....negetive one billion tons. black diamond ion headlamp?......... .8oz

Images

Quote Originally Posted by mweinstone
    burdon lifted apon touching the A T on my birthday 3/ 4/ 06 ?.....negetive one billion tons. black diamond ion headlamp?......... .8oz
    marching forth on March 4th, eh? pretty neat!

Savoring Happy!

Quote Originally Posted by Peaks
    I think that a lexan spoon is lighter, and certainly much cheaper.
    Might be true but you can't use the lexan for an emergency tent stake like you can the Ti....Yea I'm ashamed to admit I did it, but it worked.

Images

Aqua-mira for treating the water. Ounces instead of pounds (no filter carried). Protection instead of taking a risk of not treating at all. Many hikers last year sent their filters home and switched to Aqua-Mira. Costly however, it lasts a long time. It may take a few minutes to clean, you mix the two chemicals and wait 7 minutes to activate, put in water and wait 20 minutes until you can consume, so what! Walk the 20 minutes if you can not wait, do two quarts at a time to drink along the way. every pound counts in the long run. See you up the trail, WB (class of 05)

The Miox water treatment, also weighs ounces, and all it needs is some water and a few pebbles of rock salt( which lasts a long time)
    Throwing pearls to swine.

And if the water is cold it takes like 4 hours to decontaminate it.

Default stuff sack mittens

My favorite lightweight gear now are two mismatched silnylon stuff sacks that I use for waterproof mittens during the day and as vapor-barrier style socks on really cold nights. I got the idea when I was considering buying the "gram weenie" silnylon sock-mittens from Dancing Light Gear. I realized I was about to pay 22 bucks (with shipping) for something I already owned. The only difference between my tube-like stuff sacks and the DLG product was that they had drawcords at the cuffs instead of elastic.

It's true that the stuff sack that came with my tent is gray and comes all the way up to the elbow and the stuff sack that came with my Micropuff jacket is wine colored and just barely covers my hand to the wrist, but when I'm walking down the trail in a cold rain I don't care. And that look has got to be pretty much the definition of hiker chic, doesn't it?

Mapman I like your style.

Ditto Map Man. One cold wet snowy day my hands got quite cold and the felt mittens soon became soggy. My hands were crying out for your invention! I found a pair of MSR mitten shells, but they were like $40.

Also, do not underestimate not only the waterproofness, but the weight savings from silnylon stuff sacks. I made a large one that replaces the need for garbage bags or compactor bags to line your pack. Also, check out even lighter (in weight and color) .7 oz. silnylon similar to Granite Gear white sacks:

http://thru-hiker.com/MaterialDetail...Coated+Ripstop

Images

My Gossemar Gear Fingertip toothbrush and GG Lightrek Hiking Poles..<3 ozs. per!
    JRB quilt..

Default Hmm, I wonder?

I would have to say my favorite piece of lightweight gear is toilet paper, even though it is a luxury item, I still carry it.

Frogg Toggs!

A hiker said I look like I just came from surgery. Ok, they're not GQ.

But completely windproof, rainproof. No condensation inside. Very breatheable.

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
++ New Posts ++