WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    Images

Default Bear attack in campground at Yellowstone

Images

Another reminder of the inherent dangers of camping in bear country.
    Anybody been to this campground (Soda Butte Campground in Yellowstone)?

My condolences to the family of the deceased and a speedy recovery for the injured.

They indicated that improper food storage was not an issue.
    It would interesting to hear from other eye witnesses, if any.

SMSP

The subject Soda Butte campground is not in Yellowstone National Park. It is outside the Park's boundaries and is a Gallatin National Forest campground.

FB
    "All persons are born free and have certain inalienable rights. They include the right to a clean and healthful environment..."

Article II, Section 3
    The Constitution of the State of Montana

Quote Originally Posted by Fiddleback View Post
    The subject Soda Butte campground is not in Yellowstone National Park. It is outside the Park's boundaries and is a Gallatin National Forest campground.

FB
    About 2 outside the boundary

I see thay caught the prepetrator, it was a sow with 3 cubs that returned to the campground this morning. She will be put down and the cubs kept in capitivity.

It was reported that all food in the campground was properly stored in the campground's bear proof food lockers. Nothing the campers did wrong, just an agressive bear.
    "If you don't know where you're going...any road will get you there."
    "He who's not busy living is busy dying"

Quote Originally Posted by bulldog49 View Post
    Nothing the campers did wrong, just an agressive bear.

Aren't bears just bears? As in... sometimes aggressive, sometimes not? Mother bears with cubs are particularly protective. And the campers were in bear country. Don't bear encounters come with the territory? As in, they took that risk by camping there?

I just don't see why this bear is being put down.

Quote Originally Posted by hellomolly View Post
    Aren't bears just bears? As in... sometimes aggressive, sometimes not? Mother bears with cubs are particularly protective. And the campers were in bear country. Don't bear encounters come with the territory? As in, they took that risk by camping there?

Perhaps because she also killed a man in the attack?

Quote Originally Posted by TIDE-HSV View Post
    Perhaps because she also killed a man in the attack?
    So if she attacked but the person was just mauled and survived, she should be allowed to live? Do you think the bear has the wherewithall to think to itself, "hmm, I better stop mauling this person before I kill them... just want to give them a little swat to remind them not to hang out on my turf?"

Bears kill things... they're carnivores and predators, and the man camped there was in bear territory. 2+2=4, you know? It's not rabid or abnormal behavior for a bear to attack and/or kill something in its territory. It's actually pretty common, whether that "something" is another bear, some other creature or a human.

It killed a man who was sleeping in his tent with no food to attract the bear. It mauled two other people, also asleep in their tent with no food. These people were in no way threatening to the bear, it attacked at 4 am, it was not a situation of a mother protecting her cubs. This bear sought out it's victims.

So, yeah, it needs to be put down.

It killed a man who was sleeping in his tent with no food to attract the bear. It mauled two other people, also asleep in their tent with no food. These people were in no way threatening to the bear, it attacked at 4 am, it was not a situation of a mother protecting her cubs. This bear sought out it's victims.

So, yeah, it needs to be put down.
    I disagree. How do you know the bear did not feel threatened by the humans? How do you know she sought them out (which I think is complete bull, btw). They were in the space where she lives and she probably did not know who or what they were. This unknown entity most likely appeared threatening to her and, as a mother, she was in ultra-protective mode. Her behavior does not seem unusual to me at all. She was/is a protective mother bear doing what her instincts told her was the best course of action when encountering an unknown threat. What she didn't do was think to herself, "Huh, what jerks these campers are, hanging out on my territory. I think I'll show them a lesson." She was simply doing what cames naturally to her.

If you went swimming in shark-infested waters, would you be surprised if a shark tried to eat or attack you? Even if you weren't pouring chum in the water and shooting at the bear? I think not.

I disagree. How do you know the bear did not feel threatened by the humans? How do you know she sought them out (which I think is complete bull, btw). They were in the space where she lives and she probably did not know who or what they were. This unknown entity most likely appeared threatening to her and, as a mother, she was in ultra-protective mode. Her behavior does not seem unusual to me at all. She was/is a protective mother bear doing what her instincts told her was the best course of action when encountering an unknown threat. What she didn't do was think to herself, "Huh, what jerks these campers are, hanging out on my territory. I think I'll show them a lesson." She was simply doing what cames naturally to her.

If you went swimming in shark-infested waters, would you be surprised if a shark tried to eat or attack you? Even if you weren't pouring chum in the water and shooting at the bear? I think not.
    That second to last sentence should end in "shark," not "bear." Sorry!

Bears kill things... they're carnivores and predators, and the man camped there was in bear territory. 2+2=4, you know? It's not rabid or abnormal behavior for a bear to attack and/or kill something in its territory. It's actually pretty common, whether that "something" is another bear, some other creature or a human.
    Actually, this is very abnormal behavior for a sow with cubs. If a sow with cubs senses danger, i.e humans, other bears, wolves, she will rapidly leave the area rather than risk an encounter. She will only attack if she believes her cubs are in imminent danger. This is very bizarre behavior, more typical of a young male griz.

Images

That second to last sentence should end in "shark," not "bear." Sorry!
    So yeah your line of thinking does not compute. A bear in the middle of the night killed a man, and mauled two others. The bear regardless of why it did it, has now killed a man and tasted human blood. Best thing for everyone is for the offender to be put down.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by mtnkngxt View Post
    So yeah your line of thinking does not compute. A bear in the middle of the night killed a man, and mauled two others. The bear regardless of why it did it, has now killed a man and tasted human blood. Best thing for everyone is for the offender to be put down.
    Wait, wait, wait... have you ever tried human blood? It's terrible. Way over rated.
    Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur.

I disagree. How do you know the bear did not feel threatened by the humans? How do you know she sought them out (which I think is complete bull, btw).
    She went from tent to tent, ripping into them and attacking the sleeping occupants inside. That's how I know she sought them out.
    Last edited by Alligator; 07-29-2010 at 15:31. Reason: TOS #2

Actually, this is very abnormal behavior for a sow with cubs. If a sow with cubs senses danger, i.e humans, other bears, wolves, she will rapidly leave the area rather than risk an encounter. She will only attack if she believes her cubs are in imminent danger. This is very bizarre behavior, more typical of a young male griz.

Ok... I've read/heard otherwise, but assuming you're correct, perhaps she believed her cubs were in imminent danger.

She went from tent to tent, ripping into them and attacking the sleeping occupants inside. That's how I know she sought them out.

How do you know she did not come across the sleeping campers unexpectedly and, upon encountering them, felt threatened and feared for her cubs? Oh wait, you don't.

Best thing for everyone is for the offender to be put down.
    Everyone... who's that, camper who is already dead? What about the cubs, which will now be raised in captivity without their natural mother? What about the bear, whose line of "thinking" (I hestitate to use that word but for lack of a better term) led it to believe it was threatened and attack, who is now being killed for, as far as we know, just doing what came naturally to it?
    Last edited by Alligator; 07-29-2010 at 15:33. Reason: TOS #2

Ok... I've read/heard otherwise, but assuming you're correct, perhaps she believed her cubs were in imminent danger.

How do you know she did not come across the sleeping campers unexpectedly and, upon encountering them, felt threatened and feared for her cubs? Oh wait, you don't.

Everyone... who's that, camper who is already dead? What about the cubs, which will now be raised in captivity without their natural mother? What about the bear, whose line of "thinking" (I hestitate to use that word but for lack of a better term) led it to believe it was threatened and attack, who is now being killed for, as far as we know, just doing what came naturally to it?

Your responses show you know nothing about "normal" bear behavior. I've explained why a normal sow with cubs would not react that way. No point in continuing this.
    Last edited by Alligator; 07-29-2010 at 15:33. Reason: TOS #2

Your responses show you know nothing about "normal" bear behavior. I've explained why a normal sow with cubs would not react that way. No point in continuing this.
    Well, I've read and heard otherwise, so therefore, my own knowledge leads me to disagree with you. And if you think there's no point, stop posting.

I know it's real difficult considering the positions taken, but try not to be disagreeable.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

So if she attacked but the person was just mauled and survived, she should be allowed to live? Do you think the bear has the wherewithall to think to itself, "hmm, I better stop mauling this person before I kill them... just want to give them a little swat to remind them not to hang out on my turf?"

Can't argue with that. Don't intend even to try...

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++