WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Eagles Nest Outfitter's hammocks

I am thinking about getting an Eagles Nest Outfitters singlenest hammock with the bug shield and rain tarp. I will be using it for short hiking runs. What do you think of this brand, and using a hammock instead of a tent?

Images

But a Double Nest which will will allow you to sleep on a diagonal, allowing a comfortable, flat hang. The ENO hammock is a good piece of starter hammock gear.

Avoid the slapstraps, and the undersized and overheavy tarps at all costs. They are NOT good items. Look at polypropylene webbing (which will not stretch like the nylon slapstraps) and MUCH lighter and larger tarps from Outdoor Equipment Suppliers, Speer Hammocks, or Warbonnet Hammocks for only slightly more cost.
    If people spent less time being offended and more time actually living, we'd all be a whole lot happier!

I absolutly love my ENO. I have used it on many occasions for multiple nights. Only regret, I wish I would of went with the double nest ( typically more room for the same price). The single nest is fine for me and after a long day of hiking or activities fell right asleep and woke up feeling like a millon bucks ready to go. This however is a biased reply because I have only ever used an ENO ( except the old netting type hammocks). After looking over Bearpaws forums i may be looking into these Warbonnets after the ENO is retired. I have no complaints with the slap straps they may stretch a little but hang it high enough youll be fine. The Rain fly is another issue i purchaced the profly for most coverage, But the take down and storage is kinda of a pain when u want to get up and go. Kinda like a tent.

Images

I have an ENO double complete system, which includes the bug net and DryFly Rain Fly. This is my first venture with hammocking. I needed one that could handle my weight, which is one of the reasons I went with ENO. SlapStraps are okay. I can testify to their stretching. When camping in Gulpha Gorge campground in Hot Springs NP in Arkansas, it rained some. I stayed dry, but the straps obviously got wet and stretched. At one point, I was just a sliver from the ground and any movement that cause a little bounce sent me touching the ground. At one point, I had to readjust my straps to compensate. But, when the straps dried, they also retracted and pulled the entire system very taut to the point that it was a bit of a physical challenge to pull the straps back towards the tree in order to re-lower my straps. The straps pulled so tight that my hammock turned into a straight line. So, not only do the straps stretch when wet, they retract once they dry. When the straps are dry the whole time, the stretching is not that big a deal. That was my first experience with the straps getting wet. Overall, I like the ENO set-up. Once I wear it our, or not, I may look into another brand. It seems that most, that are serious about hammocking, use other brands.

SMSP

Images

For winter camping, I still sometimes take my ENO versus my Warbonnet Blackbird. Even when the netting on the WB is pulled back, it often attracts some frost.

When I pack up, the frost dampens the rest of the hammock. Not a big problem, but it is a bit annoying.

With my ENO, I love the simplicity it offers and it is easy to set up.

I've made a number of modifications. For starters, I've changed the carabiners and slapstrings for SMC rappel rings and polypropylene webbing from slapstraps.

I've also added a ridgeline, which makes it possible to get pretty much the same amount of sag that I prefer each time in the hammock. This sag allows me to turn to a diagonal and get an almost flat lay in the hammock.

It also creates attachment points for my underquilt and my watch and headlamp.

The only reason I still sometimes take my Warbonnet in non-buggy weather is because the footbox allows me the flattest lay I have experienced in any hammock.

But with some easy, minor modifications, the ENO is a beautifully serviceable hammock.
    If people spent less time being offended and more time actually living, we'd all be a whole lot happier!

Images

I used to use a ENO hammock. at first I loved it but only in ideal conditions. the rain fly is not long enough just being as long as the hammock it self. thus itll keep mild showers at bay but riding out a storm is another. when the trees started to sway my hammock riped in two and the rain fly departed me with 6 stakes in the earth and tied to the trees. and despite others advice i could ever deal with "the cold spot" on my back. but for clear weather you cant beat the comfort

Grizz, are you familiar with www.hammockforum.net ? Great site lots of info and help

Images

I have a Eno Doublenest (same color as one shown in above pictures) that is my favorite lounging in the yard hammock and take on trips to visit mother in law so I can hang out in back yard while wife is visiting her mom. As it is very buggy around where I live I use my Blackbird for camping because of the built in bug net and double fabric bottom keeps the skeeters at arms length.
    Hammock Hanger by choice

Warbonnet BlackBird 1.7 dbl

www.neusioktrail.org

Bears love people, they say we taste just like chicken.

Quote Originally Posted by Bags4266 View Post
    Grizz, are you familiar with www.hammockforum.net ? Great site lots of info and help
    actual link should be www.hammockforums.net

cool advice guys - thanks

Images

I have a Singlenest and got the ENO tarp, but decided it did not offer as much coverage so I got a MacCat tarp from OES. I love that combo and have slept dry in some nasty weather.

The ENO is my first hammock, and I am sold. I quickly learned that you need an underquilt or pad, as my back got cold and I spent a rather uncomfortable night in mine.

I still do not have an UQ, but I use a pad and it is a decent and cheap solution.

Bearpaw - did you make that UQ? Do you have a pattern or would you be willing to share some tips? I am thinking of making one from Primaloft to start, and once I have figured out what I am doing I will take those lessons learned and make a down version...
    "If trees could talk, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? Maybe....if they screamed all the time, and for no good reason" - Jack Handey

Images

Quote Originally Posted by grrickar View Post
    Bearpaw - did you make that UQ? Do you have a pattern or would you be willing to share some tips? I am thinking of making one from Primaloft to start, and once I have figured out what I am doing I will take those lessons learned and make a down version...
    My wife and I sat down with a pattern from Kickass Quilts after the company shut down. The full pattern is here. The pattern is specifically designed for a Hennessy A-sym, but it works well on both my ENO and Warbonnet as well.

Most of the time to make it is in measuring, cutting, and fray-stopping the edges of the nylon fabric. My wife bore the brunt of most of the work. I used 5 oz primaloft sport for insulation. All the materials together cost me about $90. It weighs about 21 ounces and is good down to about 25 degrees.

I have a great 11 oz underquilt from Warbonnet, the Yeti. I use it a lot. When deep cold hits the southern mountains, I'll use my Speer Snugfit in a toasty down. But in fall, when deer season is on and the temps are dropping, I reach for my DIY with the blaze orange side turned out for all to see. It's just a great quilt.

El Sordo
    Images

I use the ENO for hammocking and have two additional items to increase my comfort. I bought the biggest Etowah Outfitters syl/nylon tarp I could find. 10X10 I believe. I also use the Walmart blue pad for under insulation and to spread out the hammock a bit so it doesn't try to squeeze you together.

One other thing I've done is to finally locate a center zip sleeping bag which is easier to use in a hammock. I've been camping and hiking since I was 10 and will be 65 in a few days. I have NEVER twinned my sleeping bag with someone elses and the side zips are just a gimmick in my view.
    Dyslexics Untie!

Bearpaw, would you be interested in making one that I could purchase from you?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by wright975 View Post
    Bearpaw, would you be interested in making one that I could purchase from you?
    I can ask my wife, who did the lion's share of the work. But she is still getting adjusted to a new school in a new district, so I suspect she may not be as interested as she was a couple of years ago.

The same underquilt is available from Arrowhead Equipment right now, the Potomac Underquilt. They have a better selection of stealth colors than I would be able to order from current suppliers in small colors.

Quote Originally Posted by Bearpaw View Post
    But a Double Nest which will will allow you to sleep on a diagonal, allowing a comfortable, flat hang. The ENO hammock is a good piece of starter hammock gear.

Avoid the slapstraps, and the undersized and overheavy tarps at all costs. They are NOT good items. Look at polypropylene webbing (which will not stretch like the nylon slapstraps) and MUCH lighter and larger tarps from Outdoor Equipment Suppliers, Speer Hammocks, or Warbonnet Hammocks for only slightly more cost.

I just have a quick question reguarding sleeping diagonal, I have been hammock camping for about a year and I have found that hanging my hammock extremly tight allows me to lay plenty flat. what is your take on that? do you feel as if it will put a good amount of wear on my eno or what? just curious? I tried the sleeping diagonal and i just couldnt get comfey but now that i pull my hammock to the tightest it can go I sleep great.

-jay boo

Images

Quote Originally Posted by jayboo View Post
    I just have a quick question reguarding sleeping diagonal, I have been hammock camping for about a year and I have found that hanging my hammock extremly tight allows me to lay plenty flat. what is your take on that? do you feel as if it will put a good amount of wear on my eno or what? just curious? I tried the sleeping diagonal and i just couldnt get comfey but now that i pull my hammock to the tightest it can go I sleep great.

-jay boo
    I tried the tight pull when I first starting hammocking. I'm a big guy and I did not damage the ENO Hammock, but it put a good bit of stress on my knees as they were locked back a good bit.

Sleeping diagonal (which I find very difficult in a Singlenest - just not big enough- but easily doable in a Doublenest) to be flatter than with a tightly pulled hammock. I rigged the ridgeline so I could consistently get that "sweet spot" of sag. Too much sag or too little sag can mean you won't fell that best flat lay.

Hey Bearpaw, good work on the KAQ clone, looks good Did you add some differential to the shell layer? Looks like it has some room to breath
    Arrowhead Equipment -- Hammock and Backpacking Accessories & The Home of Kick Ass Quilts! http://arrowheadequipment.webs.com/ Visit AHE on Facebook

Images

bought the ENO Pronest from REI ($49.95 in red), less weight. Awesome bit of kit. I'm 5' 8" and fits inside comfortably. I actually think the ENO slap straps PRO work really well but I've heard ENO's other products are pretty useless.
    "Trees are my temples and Forests my cathederals" - Mikhail Gorbachev

++ New Posts ++