WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

When I make trail shakes, I use a DIY funnel to pour the powder cleanly into the water bottle. I cut the top off a 16oz water bottle and you have an instant funnel. If you screw the lid back on it, you have a scooper.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by leaftye View Post
    Got any tricks for getting that powder into your drink bottle? I disliked my powdered meals when it was windy or raining. My method was to use a 1/3 cup scooper to transfer the powder from a ziplock freezer bag to my mixing bottle.

I think something like those icing dispensers with the bag and a nozzle, but I have no idea how I'd reliably close off the nozzle, and that's if the powder even goes thru the nozzle well enough.
    You could use ziplock snack bags for individual servings and just cut off the corner. Make it just large enough to fit in the bottle top and you'll have no problem getting the powder in.

BTW, that's one of the two cheap ways to make an impromptu piping bag, the other is to make a cone out of a sheet of parchment and cut the tip off that.

Images

I currently put a full days worth of powder in each bag. Cutting a corner off the bag may work, but I need to come up with a secure way of sealing it back up.

The bottle funnel/scooper might not help much because I'm trying to prevent the powder from blowing away, getting soaked in the rain or getting sand blown in it. Also, eliminating the scooper would reduce the risk of contaminating my food.

Images

I think you're not getting what I am saying, use smaller bags (snack size ziplocks) with one portion. if you're worried about weight or waste, use non zip sandwich baggies (thinner and lighter) and tie them closed with one serving inside.

Here's a "shake" recipe I've discovered. A generous portion of chia seeds combined with a packet of lemonade or other refreshing drink. Let the seeds soak in the water for at least 15 minutes. They turn into a slush sort of similar to boba (bubble) tea. I have not tried it with cold milk tea, but I bet it would be great!
    Some knew me as Piper, others as just Diane.
    I hiked the PCT: Mexico to Mt. Shasta, 2008. Santa Barbara to Canada, 2009.

Quote Originally Posted by leaftye View Post
    Got any tricks for getting that powder into your drink bottle? I disliked my powdered meals when it was windy or raining. My method was to use a 1/3 cup scooper to transfer the powder from a ziplock freezer bag to my mixing bottle.

I think something like those icing dispensers with the bag and a nozzle, but I have no idea how I'd reliably close off the nozzle, and that's if the powder even goes thru the nozzle well enough.
    Unless you're trying to save the bag, could you just snip one of the bottom corners of the and pour it in?

TF
    www.postholer.com/Turtle Feet
    Follow me as I crawl the A.T.
    Life is an adventure or nothing at all ~ Hellen Keller

Images

Mix instant breaksfast in the oatmeal...
    Do one thing everyday...that makes you happy...

Images

Quote Originally Posted by mister krabs View Post
    I think you're not getting what I am saying, use smaller bags (snack size ziplocks) with one portion. if you're worried about weight or waste, use non zip sandwich baggies (thinner and lighter) and tie them closed with one serving inside.
    There are advantages with that too, but preparing that many baggies prior to a thru-hike would be excruciating. It'd be at least 500 baggies versus the ~100 I prepared for this years thru hike. I may ask my supplement provider if he can package my custom blend of powder in small rip-open packages. Actually, I think he already does...

"Cutting a corner off the bag may work, but I need to come up with a secure way of sealing it back up."
    When I was doing protein shakes and breakfast shakes, what worked for me was a double quart ziplock bag. Double seemed to be important to keep shake powder from getting on other stuff. To pour it's just a sort of knack to hold the inner ziplock in such as way as to form a little pour spout and tap the bag to encourage powder to flow at a reasonable rate. I poured this stuff into a 20 oz gatorade bottle, i.e., something with a decently wide mouth, which also helps a lot.

And, I normally opened my tent and poured outside the tent ... no matter how good you get at this it seems like it's always possible to have a little powder go astray. In high winds I might just decide to defer the shake to another time (!).
    Gadget
    PCT: 2008 NOBO, AT: 2010 NOBO, CDT: 2011 SOBO, PNT: 2014+2016

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++