WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Water Filtration

What do people use for ultra light filtration?

I saw the Bota Outback water filters which is essentially a filter built into a water bottle. Since you need a container to carry your drinking water and a filter system I thought this would be a good choice. I think it would taste better than iodine.

Has anyone used this? What do you think?

Suggestions?
    https://tinyurl.com/MyFDresults

A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world. ~Paul Dudley White

Images

It would work for 85% of spots but when its dry, some sources are a trickle that are impossible to dunk and it'll take some work ta fill. Couple companys have this type but i never see them out there. And aquamira dont taste like anything imo.
    "I drank what?" Socrates

Garlic
    Images

Many ULers use Aqua Mira, some use chlorine bleach, and a few use nothing at all. A few use in-line gravity filters with no moving parts. (Mechanical pumps have reliability and maintenance problems which really become a problem after a few hundreds of miles.)
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

Most thru's use AquaMira.

My older son and I got Bota of Boulder bottles eight years ago - never had a problem with them - the replaceable filters from McNett also work with them - squeeze some water through the filters before using to remove all the excess carbon. ~ My younger son carries a Katadyne Exstream XR for backpacking. ~ I normally rely on chemical treatment, but I've started carrying an Aquamira Frontier Pro for all the other options it provides - YouTube video - "The Frontier Pro filter will connect directly to any water bottle with a 28mm opening such as a Platypus® or standard spring water bottle. Using the tube connection feature you can connect to the drink tube of your hydration system, or drink from any open container or water source. Since you drink directly from the unit there is no chance of confusing inlet and outlet tubes resulting in possible cross contamination. The Frontier Pro can also be set up in a “gravity flow” mode to filter water unattended while you pursue more enjoyable uses of your valuable outdoor time."

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

I use the McNett equivalent of the Bota Bottle, works just fine, mechanically so simple it's tough to mess up or break. Based on what I read, the biggest risk for US is big stuff like Giardia and Crypto bugs, that are readily filtered out, but not handled well by chemicals, so I choose filtration over chemical treatment. I carry the filter bottle, and for extra capacity (when I expect a long stretch without water, or for in-camp use) I use platypus bottles to refill the bottle. When the supply is a trickle or a drip, I use a cup or pot to collect water, which is how I'd handle it whether I was treating or filtering. YMMV

Images

I use Aqua Mira tablets
    NOBO section hiker, 1066.4 miles... & counting!!

what about the UV pens/lights that i see ads for? do they work?
    Onward through the fog

Images

Quote Originally Posted by coyote13 View Post
    what about the UV pens/lights that i see ads for? do they work?
    steri pen

works good, I've used mine for three years now. No problems.
    If you find yourself in a fair fight; your tactics suck.

Quote Originally Posted by Spokes View Post
    Most thru's use AquaMira.

filtration system/drops/tablets? which?

A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world. ~Paul Dudley White

Images

Drops.

I'm weird, but I like the taste of iodine.
    SGT Rock
    http://hikinghq.net

My 2008 Trail Journal of the BMT/AT

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide
    -----------------------------------------

NO SNIVELING

Images

You are weird. Iodine flavor is nasty, to me anyway. <sorry>

Aqua Mira drops have worked for me for a while. Though this summer I took a Pur Hiker filter when my wife came with me, and it worked really well on those late summer trickles they call springs down South. When you scoop up water and half of it is dirt and leaves...
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Quote Originally Posted by PennyPincher View Post
    filtration system/drops/tablets? which?
    Drops, of course.......

Images

Quote Originally Posted by bigcranky View Post
    You are weird. Iodine flavor is nasty, to me anyway. <sorry>

Aqua Mira drops have worked for me for a while. Though this summer I took a Pur Hiker filter when my wife came with me, and it worked really well on those late summer trickles they call springs down South. When you scoop up water and half of it is dirt and leaves...
    I said I was weird. The taste reminds me of unsweetened ice tea.
    SGT Rock
    http://hikinghq.net

My 2008 Trail Journal of the BMT/AT

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide
    -----------------------------------------

NO SNIVELING

SGT, you are wierd.

Images

I went with iodine tablets to save weight; however, it did not occur to me to transfer them out of their heavier glass bottle into a plastic pill baggie. I also carried the vitamin C tablets to clear the iodine and found them superfluous as Propel does the same thing.

If you're wanting a filter versus chemicals, you might check out the ultralight homemade 1 micron water filters some folks are making. There's a video on YouTube on how to convert a commercial 1 micron filter pad into a ultralight 1 micron water filter that does NOT require pumping and is still quick and easy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=is7X6JS9vUo
    Appalachian Trail Online Course
    http://at-trail.blogspot.com
    Information and resources for the A.T. hiker

Follow @section_hiking on Twitter
    http://Twitter.com/Section_Hiking

Images

I still carry an 11oz Katadyn Hiker Pro mostly because I'm OCD about my water. I don't want one grain of dirt in my water and I certainly don't want chemicals in perfectly good mountain water. I am thinking about trying Aqua Mira drops for my thru next year. Anyone try that filter in the video BigHodag posted?
    Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit, and as vital to our lives as water and good bread.
    -Edward Abbey

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Luddite View Post
    I still carry an 11oz Katadyn Hiker Pro mostly because I'm OCD about my water. I don't want one grain of dirt in my water and I certainly don't want chemicals in perfectly good mountain water. I am thinking about trying Aqua Mira drops for my thru next year. Anyone try that filter in the video BigHodag posted?
    I completely agree. A couple of times this spring that I tested out the Hiker Pro was in less than ideal water and I was glad I had a filter. Also tried putting a coffee filter over the end but it wasnt clear by looking over the filer that it was adding any value.

Images

My current water filter is hardly ultralight at 10.5 ounces, but I do like the way it works. I'm considering cutting a few ounces by replacing the water bag with a cuben version and using a lighter Sawyer inline filter.

Images

I have been using the "First Need XL" purifier for the last couple of years. I cant find a weight on it but I really don't care. It is absolutely the best in my opinion. It is a true purifier not just a filter. You can either pump with it or use it in gravity fed mode. Cartridges are good for around 150Gal.

Just my $1.50 ....

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++