WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Default Solo hiking safety tips

I think most of us would agree that solo hikng (on the AT at least) is relatively safe.

With that in mind, I was wondering if you would like to share any solo hiking safety tips with other hikers who may be reticent of hiking alone.

Here's what I keep in mind as I hike:

Never step on anything I can step over or around.

Next?

I hike alone fairly often. I provide my planned hike and timelines to my wife, along with emergency contact numbers. I also carry a cell phone (turned off while hiking).

Images

ALWAYS prepare to hike alone. partners are known to bail, hike ahead or fall behind
    but most of all carry a map and learn to read it.
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

1. Trust your instincts. If something/someone makes you feel uncomfortable...keep on moving.
    2. Do not camp close to road crossings.

Images

Step carefully when walking over rock scrambles, making sure the rock you place your foot on isn't loose.
    Getting lost is a way to find yourself.

Images

Default NOW you tell me!

Quote Originally Posted by johnnybgood View Post
    Step carefully when walking over rock scrambles, making sure the rock you place your foot on isn't loose.
    blew my MCL in 2008 coming down into Deep Gap. mossy, loose rock + foot was not a good combination
    My name is Tabasco and I approve this message.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by onesocktwin View Post
    1. Trust your instincts. If something/someone makes you feel uncomfortable...keep on moving.
    2. Do not camp close to road crossings.
    I'll be bold enough to give a number to "close". For me, it's don't camp within a mile of a road crossing. Seems a good round figure.

Also, make sure someone knows your itinerary, including where you plan to camp (even if it's a range).

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

Don't stray off-trail (or at least off-route if you're bushwhacking) without a lot of forethought. The risk of injury increases exponentially in an untravelled area unknown to you, plus the challenge of rescue finding you increases dramatically.

It can be remarkably difficult to find your way back to the blazed trail if you've gone deeper into the woods (say, to find water, gather firewood, check out a land feature, find a place to poop, whatever). Keep track of your path so you can easily backtrack, and even think about leaving "breadcrumbs" to show you how to get back.

When crossing a road, I make every attempt to do so without calling attention to myself from passing cars or locals.

Don't be caught in the dark, in a storm, without light to find your way to a viable campsite.

If uncertain of where the trail goes, take the time to pull out the guidebook/map and figure out which way to go.

If uncomfortable with a situation, just move on.
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

Images

since I was almost hit by falling tree, I watch out for that.

When passing by a standing dead tree never put your hand on it because it mght just be enougt to push it over on you. If you're alone this would not be a good thing.

Panzer

Images

Quote Originally Posted by kayak karl View Post
    ALWAYS prepare to hike alone. partners are known to bail, hike ahead or fall behind
    but most of all carry a map and learn to read it.
    This past week, I was with a group of Scouts and adult leaders (14 total). Since I rolled my ankles 3 times in 15 minutes the second day, I was always last coming in to camp by at least an hour. I was first out in the morning, but was passed by noon. I made sure to have my maps of the trail with me, to make sure everyone who passed knew how far we were going and that if I was found face down on the trail, to grab my wallet first! As long as I could grab glimpses of the surrounding terrain (sort of hard from Standing Indian to the NOC), I knew about where I was.

I also kept an eye out for places to camp, just in case I couldn't make it as far as the team. I had all the gear I needed and wasn't sharing with anyone, so I had food, water and shelter.
    Old Hiker
    AT Hike 2012 - 497 Miles of 2184
    AT Thru Hiker - 29 FEB - 03 OCT 2016 2189.1 miles
    Just because my teeth are showing, does NOT mean I'm smiling.
    Hányszor lennél inkább máshol?

Garlic
    Images

Give your itinerary to two people: One you love, and one you trust.

Stick to your itinerary.

Take every step as if your life depended on it. In some places, it does.

Keep your insulation dry at all costs.

If/when things go wrong, stop and think about it before you act. Your brain is the most important tool you have.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

Default Essential 10

Quote Originally Posted by 10-K View Post
    I think most of us would agree that solo hikng (on the AT at least) is relatively safe.

With that in mind, I was wondering if you would like to share any solo hiking safety tips with other hikers who may be reticent of hiking alone.

Here's what I keep in mind as I hike:

Never step on anything I can step over or around.

Next?
    Everyone has their own "essential 10" list. Mine is:

1. Water -- You can survive a long time without food, but not long without water. I got dehydrarated once to the point of passing out. Since then, I always carry more water than I think I will need.
    2. Clothing -- In additon to what I wear, I carry an emergency poncho. It is enough to keep me dry in a sudden rain storm.
    3. Map -- I usually memorize the map, but don't actually carry paper. There have been a few times I wished I had the paper map.
    4. First Aid -- I always carry a first aid kit.
    5. Knife -- I always have a small swiss army knife in my pocket.
    6. Fire starter/matches -- Because I often fly to where I hike, I can't carry matches or a lighter. Instead, I include a flint/steel /magnesium fire stick in my first aid kit.
    7. Headlamp -- even if I plan to return before dark, I carry a headlamp and I keep fresh extra batteries in my first aid kit.
    8. Spot - When I hike alone, I carry the Spot Satellite Messenger. It allows my family to track my progress and compare it with my plan. I have never had to use the "911" feature, but it is a comfort to know it is available.
    9, Sun Protection -- What I do for sun protection depends on where I am hiking. When I hike in the Grand Canyon, I use lots of sun screen. When I hike in the Northwest, I generally just wear a hat with a brim.
    10. Compass -- I have a button compass in the 1st aid kit, but I rarely use it. My survival training taught me to navigate without a compass. Still, it can be useful to verify. One time I really needed it -- snow storm.

Extras:
    1. Tyvek sheet -- I usually cary a 3X6 sheet of tyvek. I provides a clean, dry place to sit down.
    2. Camera -- I never hike without a camera. One of my motivations for hiking is to get pictures of wildlife.
    Shutterbug

Images

Default re: Solo hiking safety tips - Logs, TrailPhone, TrailNote

Just finished a 2-week solo section hike, so here's my take:

1. Sign the log books. Take time at every shelter and the other spots where trail logs are found to sign the book. I always put the date and time. If someone needs to find you, log book searches are one of the first things rangers and others will do. With a known location and rate of travel, you can be found reasonably quickly.

2. Read the log books. Often if there is a hazardous situation the details will be in the log book.

3. Use TrailNote. This clever utility will alert others if you don't report in and turn off your trip plan. For a thru-hike, you could set serial TrailNotes.

4. Use TrailPhone. I used TrailPhone mostly for my spouse's sake. I also had an experienced hiker monitoring my updates to ensure that a critical/safety update was not misunderstood, etc. Each TrailPhone update is shown on a Google Map so damily and others know your approx. location.

5. Carry complete emergency info on you. I carry a small notebook for trail journaling. Inside the cover is my emergency contact information, blood type, allergies, meds, and other personal info including the address and phone of my preferred funeral home, should I do something really stupid or have really bad luck. [Note: I'm a former military emergency manager]

The advice of the others is also very good. On my way up Raven Rock, I noted a solo male hanging around a parking area near a trail crossing. May have been nothing, but I decided to hike up the trail and listen for sounds of anyone coming behind or cutting through the woods. Enjoyed much piece of mind minutes later when I had some distance and a good view of the trail below.

The AT is fairly safe, but pay attention.
    Appalachian Trail Online Course
    http://at-trail.blogspot.com
    Information and resources for the A.T. hiker

Follow @section_hiking on Twitter
    http://Twitter.com/Section_Hiking

Be willing to slow down or turn back or stop and make camp when sober reflection tells you that an unhappy choice like that is really the right choice --- that even if you overriding goal is to do more miles that you'll more reliably do those miles by making the more sane choice. For me this year that included bailing and hobbling back down to town last month when I strained my quad muscle in the Whites. My inner 18-year-old was urging me to "just deal with it" and push on albeit at a slower pace, but bailing and resting in this particular case was the right choice.

For me perhaps the highest trail wisdom is knowing when to listen to your body and when to tell it to shut the hell up !
    Gadget
    PCT: 2008 NOBO, AT: 2010 NOBO, CDT: 2011 SOBO, PNT: 2014+2016

When in doubt, stop and have a cup of tea.

Make sure you know how to read a map and make sure you are heading in the right direction. I thought I knew a trail and walked 8 miles in the opposite direction. Thank goodness, my wife was close by with a car.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by crazyonelost View Post
    Make sure you know how to read a map and make sure you are heading in the right direction. I thought I knew a trail and walked 8 miles in the opposite direction. Thank goodness, my wife was close by with a car.
    Is that how you got your trail name ... just sayin'
    Getting lost is a way to find yourself.

I been known to do alot of stuff without thinking,but this was mild compared to what i usually do.right trail started on wrong side from the road.

Lots of good suggestions here. I can only add this:
    1. Know your abilities and hike within them.

Don't eat out of anyone's food bag........

.....care for some GORP?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++