WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Images

Lightbulb Hiking Poles Holder Loops on Backpack

Hiking poles are GREAT ... much of the time. But other times, they are a nuisance when you need to do other things with your hands as you hike along. What to do with them? Here's one answer I saw on a new pack at REI recently, which I came home and copied onto my REI UL60 Cruise pack. Worked so well, I intend to do the same to my other packs, even if I have to sew on loops.

After modifying my Cruise, I took it on a hike. Used the hiking poles on the uphills and downhills, but on the level areas, I put my poles away and walked along with my hands free to operate my camera, wipe sweat off my head, drink some water, ... whatever!

1. The first photo shows the loop I added to the bottom left of my pack. I used white shock cord from REI and some clear vinyl tubing from the hardware store. Just looped the shock cord around the existing webbing loop for the horizontal stabilizer belt strap, ran both ends through the tubing, and tied them off on another existing fabric loop on the back of the pack.

2. The second photo shows the black shock cord loop (with spring-loaded thumb tensioner) which I add to my shoulder strap.

3. The third photo shows me sliding the poles into the lower strap, with my hand inside the loop to hold the loop open and to more easily guide the tips through the loop, sight unseen.

4. The fourth photo shows the black shock cord around the pole handles, at my shoulder strap.

5. The fifth photo shows the poles in place through the bottom loop.

6. The sixth photo shows the poles in place, with my arms down. I was pleasantly surprised that the poles were not in the way and did not force my arms/elbows out from my sides at all.

As I like to take lots of photos, I often had to operate the camera with one hand and hold the poles in the other hand. No longer.

RainMan

[I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

Springer to Elk Park, NC/Andover to Katahdin
    Images

I'll bet it was an Osprey Exos that you saw in REI. I have the 34 and the 46. Both have this feature and you are right. It is great. Stow on the Go.
    I am not young enough to know everything.

Clever, clever... I might use that idea. Any reason you used shock cord instead of some zing it?

Images

Finally a place to carry my machete?????
    .....Someday, like many others who joined WB in the early years, I may dry up and dissapear....

Quote Originally Posted by Toolshed View Post
    Finally a place to carry my machete?????
    lol, good one don't forget the hockey mask!

Images

Very innovative. Beats sticking the poles in the pack in day. This may prevent accidentally leaving poles behind too.

Quote Originally Posted by Rain Man View Post
    .....I saw on a new pack at REI recently......RainMan.
    Yep, my Osprey Exos 46 has that and I thought about modifying my ULA Circuit since I really like the Stow and go feature. It's good to see that you did it and it looks great.

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

How much did you find the poles bouncing as you walked along?

Also, what's that grey fuzzy stuff on your neck below pictures 4 & 6?
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

What a great idea Rain,I am looking at how to attach something similar to my pack as we speak.Thank you.
    Onward through the fog

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Bags4266 View Post
    Clever, clever... I might use that idea. Any reason you used shock cord instead of some zing it?
    Hmmmm ... just copying what I saw? I recommend experimenting and see what works best on your pack. (and let us know?)

By the way, I have yet to use the "thumb tensioner" (can't remember the "real" name for those little spring-loaded black plastic clamps), so not even sure it's necessary. The shock cord works well enough alone.

RainMan

[I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

Images

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Kerosene View Post
    No bounce at all.

Also, what's that grey fuzzy stuff on your neck below pictures 4 & 6?
    That's some kind of fungus that grew on my face and neck on my hike last Columbus Day weekend. When I got home, my wife told me to leave it. So, I said, as all good husbands do, "Yes, Dear" and it's been there ever since.

My eldest is getting married over Labor Day weekend and I asked her if she wanted me to shave it off, and she said no.

My face must be really ugly, eh?! They want to hide it.

P.S. Thanks for not mentioning pics 3 and 6!

RainMan

Last edited by Rain Man; 08-10-2010 at 10:49.

Images

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by DBT fan View Post
    This may prevent accidentally leaving poles behind too.

I had the same idea, as I've read of more than one time that that has happened to hikers.

RainMan

Wow, thanks Rain for the idea. I was recently searching for a method of doing this. Today I went to the dollar store and picked up a pack of small thin bungee cords that I think will work.

Images

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Tamah View Post
    Wow, thanks Rain for the idea.
    You are more than welcome, Tamah! And with your very first WB post being a "thank you" to me, I'm sure your existence on WB will be blessed by that good karma!

RainMan

Thanks for the idea! I just did this to my Golite lite-speed, and took it for a test drive this weekend. It worked great.

I, too, didn't notice any bouncing. In fact, I kept one of my poles in it for pretty much an entire 15 mile day, and didn't really notice that it was there.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by lustreking View Post
    Thanks for the idea! I just did this to my Golite lite-speed, and took it for a test drive this weekend. It worked great.

I, too, didn't notice any bouncing. In fact, I kept one of my poles in it for pretty much an entire 15 mile day, and didn't really notice that it was there.

Yep. I've done two of my packs now and am very happy with the new "feature." Used it on my last AT section hike. Very nice to get the poles out of my hands occasionally. Glad you liked the idea.

RainMan

Images

I think this is a super duper idea Rain Man . I have a Osprey Talon that I'm gonna try to modify with a few shock cords and those " tensioner thingys ".
    By not always hiking with poles I have to remember to look back when I break camp. I have before walked off a short distance and then returned to where I had stuck them in the ground .

I was at REI a few weeks and an Osprey pack there had a stow & go feature that I saw.
    Getting lost is a way to find yourself.

I've got 'em on my Osprey and they work great...can stow-n-go the poles in just a second or so...

I usually carry my poles or use the ice axe loop on my backpack since I don't use an ice axe. Your idea seems to work well too.

Dennis

Can't seem to find the photos referenced in your post.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++