WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Images

I just found some wool glove inserts for a buck a pair at a flea mkt
    I finally found a field jacket liner for a decent price(still looking for the field pant liner to go with it)
    I have been using a p-38 type canopener,not the actual military one but its made by cohglans and works well.
    I also found a military pack liner for 2 bucks ,a bit heavy but that didnt turn out to be a big problem because all of the rubber coating fell off at the same time LOL still a good ripstop stuff sack though.And lighter!LOL
    A guy at the flea mkt had military winter boots,I think they are the ones called "Mickey Mouse Boots"? They looked like good boots and were cheap .40 bucks I think,but they didnt have my size.
    "Theres is no real hope of traveling perfectly light in the mountains.It is good to try,as long as you realize that,like proving a unified field theory,mastering Kanji,or routinely brewing the perfect cup of coffee,the game can never be won." Smoke Blanchard

Images

Quote Originally Posted by SGT Rock
    Always Ready!
    Semper Paratis!

(Inside joke: Clean as you go.)
    Just hike.

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Streamweaver
    A guy at the flea mkt had military winter boots,I think they are the ones called "Mickey Mouse Boots"? They looked like good boots and were cheap .40 bucks I think,but they didnt have my size.
    Mickeys are insanely warm boots. The whites ones are espicially warm. Rubber on the outside, wool in the inside, pocket of air in the middle. The blackones were used for high altitude planes during the Korean era...they were so warm, they made some for winter use, too (the white ones). That's the general history, anyway. I am forgetting the specifics.

Could never find them in my size. I did find some Sorrel Caribous in my size for $8 at thrift store though a while back. Talk about a thrift store find. They *were* in almost new condition. Now..not so much.

Rock, do they still have the Mickey boots for military use?
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Anybody know where to get MCW/LRP rations?

Its a shame the military can't get up to date with all the modern fabrics and gear available. I have found the majority of the surplus stuff is probably OK for car or backyard camping, but not suitable for long distance travel. It seems NASA has been responsible(at least in years past) for some of our modern equip, food prep/storage, fabrics.

Default I used to wonder why they didn't jump on the polypro bandwagon

Quote Originally Posted by Ridge
    Its a shame the military can't get up to date with all the modern fabrics and gear available. I have found the majority of the surplus stuff is probably OK for car or backyard camping, but not suitable for long distance travel. It seems NASA has been responsible(at least in years past) for some of our modern equip, food prep/storage, fabrics.
    Then I read some of the reports from the British troops after the Falklands war. the polypropylene melted to their skin. I hate it when that happens!
    I came into this world with nothing, and I still have most of it left.

field jacket liners and the matching pant liners are the bomb! used to be a guy could get them tailored with elastic cuffs and buttons for dirt cheap in the p.i.

my good luck charm is my marine corps wool green watchcap. it keeps my bald head warm always!

To: Sgt Rock,

You forgot to mention the Stainless canteen cups with folding brass handle( 1950's) they serve as both a pot to heat water for quick meals. Also can find Esbit tablets, Para-cord, and old Parachutes for making your own Silnylon shelters

Mike

I smell like New Jersey... SGTdirtman's Avatar
    Images

they sell sew in zipper kits for the GI poncho liner which converts it into a nice warm weather sleeping bag or sleeping bag liner. ranger rick sells them (www.therangerdigest.com) pretty cool site and the guy is basicly insane.

The only military surplus gear i use is a 100 ounce camelback water hydration system and a polypro camo liner.

I really like the camelback, especially with it's shut off valve. The bite valve comes completely off for cleaning, but it;s a little hard to get out.

Great thread. I was in the Marines for a while, so I have a few comments and a question.

Goretex sleeping bag liner/ "bivy sack": We used these instead of sleeping bags in moderate weather. Expensive, but a great, light-weight piece of gear.

Foam sleeping pad/ iso-mat: I don't plan on getting an inflatable thing, these pads have always worked for me.

Mickey Mouse or vapor barrier boots: I was issued these in 1999, so the Marines were still using them then. They probably phased them out shortly after, though, as we got Goretex boots the next year. (Hate the Goretex boots, too heavy, I'd rather wear jungles unless it was really cold.) VB boots were incredibly warm and actually comfortable to hike in, which I never expected. My feet were never cold.

Watch cap: I always wear it when sleeping, except for summer.

Goretex: Forget cotton, when I was at cold weather training we only wore poly pro and Goretex. I still have my Goretex jacket and pants, and was actually wondering if it would make sense to take it on the trail in May when I do a section going north from PA. It could function as a rain coat... but probably too hot, right?

I'd appreciate any comments.

Images

I like getting stuff I don't have to sign for...

A good source for military surplus that I have found in Coleman's Surplus in PA. I don't have the website handy, but they normally have just about everything.

I am still in a get issued some things that are pretty good. I have noticed that the boots, jackets and gloves are getting better the longer I stay in. I still like my old camoflague poncho liner and carry it everywhere.

Default p38

Quote Originally Posted by neo View Post
    The only military gear i carry is the P-38. I'm surprised you didn't mention it.

i have carried a p-38 on my key ring for years neo
    zz
    z
    Also known as a "John Wayne"..
    x

Images

i collect military field gear neo

The polypros and field jacket liners rock. I have been warn with them on under my BDUs in alaska, south dakota, north dakota, and colorado.

I also use flyer's jacket and pants liners with the elastic cuffs and waists on the pants, and full zipper on the jacket liner. These do not loose loft after multiple compressions. Mine have help up great these last 8 years.

The poncho liner rocks! The air force has been using cool max the last few years as a standard issue option for cold weather clothing.

Cabana

Stocker & Yale compass, a very good compass, there was another issue called a Trinimun SP? that is supposed to be better but I don;t see how, the new issue poncho liner is supposed to be warmer than the older one. I like my old one in a HH. Used it two weeks ago and kept warm. Ditto on dress socks as liners, cheap enough to use a few times and throw away.

Images

Mmmmmm..... Back in the day we were given those little 5-count packs of smokes in our C-Rations (Most smoked back then). They seemed to be either marlboro, winstons, kools or newports. We were alway trading the greens to the blacks for the reds. Along with 1-instant coffee, 1-powdered creamer and 1-sugar packet.

I still carry my P-38. I think after Wildflecken, Graf, and exercises at Eglin,I amassed quite a few P-38s.
    .....Someday, like many others who joined WB in the early years, I may dry up and dissapear....

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Toolshed View Post
    Mmmmmm..... Back in the day we were given those little 5-count packs of smokes in our C-Rations (Most smoked back then). They seemed to be either marlboro, winstons, cools or newports. We were alway trading the greens to the blacks for the reds. Along with 1-instant coffee, 1-powdered creamer and 1-sugar packet.

I still carry my P-38. I think after Wildflecken, Graf, and exercises at Eglin,I amassed quite a few P-38s.
    Toolshed, when you mentioned Graf a little shiver went down my spine. Very cold in winter, and then muddy or dusty depending on the amount of rain...Lots of pigs as well. Lost a buddy there as well when he walked into the tailrotor of his Cobra while de-arming after being on the range. Not a place I would willingly go visit!!

I just went back to Hohenfels to prepare for my last deployment and it was still the same as the mid-eighties. Germany is great elsewhere

Images

Hi Buck,
    I was with the 11th Armored Cav in Fulda - Border Guards. Flight Ops - Worked with the Cobras, Hueys and '58's. Long time ago. Nice Avatar!!!
    .....Someday, like many others who joined WB in the early years, I may dry up and dissapear....

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++