WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Southbound at the end of Aug!?

hey everybody, how's it going? me and a buddy of mine have been planning a thru-hike for quite some time and recently things have kind of fallen together where we want to leave ASAP. The plan is to move southbound starting Aug 29th. I know this isn't anywhere near the traditional method of doing things and i also know this means winter and COLD temperatures...but it also means beauty and solitude. Most people i have talked to look at me like i am a nut job but what i am looking for on here are any opinions, knowledge, advise, suggestions, input, or some encouraging words on how to make this a successful trip. Is this a good idea? As much input as possible. One of the big questions i have been contemplating is shelter. i have my eno double wide hammock and am wondering with the proper set up and the use of trail side shelters when the weather was really bad or cold if it would suffice on this journey or if i am better off getting a tent or bivy sack? thanks guys!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by StStephen View Post
    One of the big questions i have been contemplating is shelter. i have my eno double wide hammock and am wondering with the proper set up and the use of trail side shelters when the weather was really bad or cold if it would suffice on this journey or if i am better off getting a tent or bivy sack? thanks guys!
    i ONLY hammock. you better learn about under and top quilts. your fine down below zero if you know what your doing.
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

Images

Given the shorter day length as you get into winter, figure you'll be finishing up mid to late February. Not too bad, since you'll be in the South by New Year's Day or so. Be prepared for some snow and some cold temperatures, but the trail in the South is great in the winter -- few people, no bugs, and wonderful views from the ridge lines.

You'll get different responses on shelter. In the winter I like staying in the trail shelters. It's colder than using a tent, but much faster than setting up and breaking down a tent or tarp. Easier to get on the trail at first light that way. I do carry a tarp and a breathable bivy sack (not Goretex) -- the tarp in case I want or need to camp along the trail, and the bivy for extra warmth and weather protection for my down sleeping bag. The total shelter weight is less than 24 ounces. The trail shelters are almost always empty in the winter for some reason....

Hammocks are great, but Kayak Karl is right about learning how to use one in cold weather. I only hammock in the summer when I am solo (which isn't all that often), because I don't want to buy or carry everything I need to be warm in the winter. But yes, it can be done, and done well.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Images

Default SOBO Sept-Feb

That's exactly when I go, if I didn't have this pesky job and being a boss and all. Simple solution might be a Black Diamond Firstlight tent, freestanding and "breathable" - small footprint can be used in a shelter when it gets really cold.

I would also go with a gortex bivy sack and 8 X 10 tarp. For the most part, you will be staying in shelters. The bivy sack will give you a few extra degrees on your bag and keep it dry when rain/snow blows into the shelter. You can also use the trap to help block the wind. If you do have to camp trail side, you can still do that.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

AT 2012

i'm another vote for winter hammocking -- you'll find that many nights there won't be anyone but you and your friend in the shelter and you can just hang your hammock there. it is awfully nice not to get your tarp wet, to be out of the wind, and to have a faster setup. look for Martha "four leaf" here on WB -- she did a winter southbound and, well i hate to put words in her mouth, but i think she loved it.
    Lazarus

AT 2012

sorry, but had another thought for you. if you use any of the light weight inflatable pads for part of your hammock bottom insulation system you can always just sleep on the shelter floor as an option. if you're not a hardcore hammocker you may like having that flexibility.
    Lazarus

thanks everyone!...for under and top quilts, do i have to buy something specific or can i use small fleece blankets or what? can i use a bivy sack in my hammock as well?

Images

thanks everyone!...for under and top quilts, do i have to buy something specific or can i use small fleece blankets or what? can i use a bivy sack in my hammock as well?
    better get an underquilt for under, but a sleeping bag will work as over. if you don't want to invest the time and money into hammocking, ditch the idea now!

Images

Small fleece blanket? Maybe to start, but you'll be getting pretty cold in the winter. You'll likely get some single digit temps even in the South.

Jacks R Better make quilts for hammockers.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Images

Quote Originally Posted by bigcranky View Post
    Small fleece blanket? Maybe to start, but you'll be getting pretty cold in the winter. You'll likely get some single digit temps even in the South.

Jacks R Better make quilts for hammockers.
    we had frost in august last year in maine. gets cold quick up there.
    a lot of companies make quilts https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?...EE&hl=en#gid=3
    you will see single digits, but you can still get quilts, tarp and hammock below 5 lbs.

Backpacker
    Images

Just do it and you'll figure it out along the way. You're not nuts. Nuts is working in a crappy factory or something for 25+ years and never seeing the world.

you guys rock, thanks. are moose gonna be a problem during the fall season? how much snow do you think i will actually see?

Images

you guys rock, thanks. are moose gonna be a problem during the fall season? how much snow do you think i will actually see?
    it will be rutting season?
    snow, you can see as much as 3 ft or none. we nor the weather people have a clue.

Last year we saw a lot.
    Most late starters who made it w/o having to get off for awhile due to weather were avg. mid 20s the whole way and finished before Christmas.

I am comtemplating a southbound thru as well around the same time frame(starting late august-mid sept) next year, is it worthwhile to pack snowshoes the whole way, or to have them mail droped later on? Or can you generally get by without them in most areas once winter really starts to hit?

Quote Originally Posted by Ironbelly View Post
    I am comtemplating a southbound thru as well around the same time frame(starting late august-mid sept) next year, is it worthwhile to pack snowshoes the whole way, or to have them mail droped later on? Or can you generally get by without them in most areas once winter really starts to hit?
    No, do not carry them the whole way. We didn't get bad snow until Dec. , well into Virginia.

Watch out for hunters!

I love the smokies in the winter. I do have to say though, i was on a trail right next to the AT on the TN NC border on jan 1 this year, I got cold in my 0 degree down bag and a neo air. Best guess was somewhere in the sub -10 range.

Keeping UL will definitely be an issue, but if taking a little longer is good for you then I cheer you on, have fun in the snow fellas!

oh, and no gd bears. i hate bears. eat my water bottle for no reason.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++