WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: bibles

Images

the ray bradbury book was classic, that and Orwells 1984. not on topic, sorry.
    I broke a mirror in my house. I'm supposed to get seven years bad luck but my lawyer thinks he can get me five.

Images

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by C Seeker View Post
    Any suggestions? Thanks
    I agree with the post about separating the books, just as you might a guidebook or set of maps. "The Bible" is composed of numerous books, as I recall, 39 in the OT and 27 in the NT. Get a paperback copy of whatever version/interpretation suits you and run by Kinkos and have them slice off the spine. Then take Genesis with you to Springer and mail the rest to yourself in your drop boxes as you hike along the trail. No problem with weight to speak of and no problem going blind trying to read ridiculously small print.

Best to you.

RainMan

[I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

Here's one solution: Find a small bible with quality binding - It will be sewn together. Take the cover off and carefully disassemble it. This will leave you with each little section (use this picture as a reference: http://www.thimble.ca/images/bookbinding1.jpg ) that are all the same size. So now you can bounce them, but instead of keeping individual books for certain time periods, you will know exactly how many pages you have, and so you will have some idea how long it'll take you to read through them, allowing you to plan much better.
    Sardis Thru-Hiker Club - A 6.73 miler.

Images

I like the idea of taking a scale to the store to weigh books, and also doing mail drops along the way. Thank you everyone for you post I now have a idea of all the types of bibles out there.

id like to show how this site disallows free speech to an exstent that drives away all hope of growing larger and attracting vairied attractees.but that isnt cool. but it would be so easy useing this thread as an example. im shocked living in america the things ya cant say in the places ya cant. i mean theirs a world of understanding outside of closed minds. if only it were cool to be free. we are not free anymore in this country. i would speak of the bibles uses in emergencys and of the worthyness of carrying a full size one. but then i would want to point out all the reasons i like my bible and not others. and that might lead to wanting to compare doctorial litteretures survival gear propertys as they relate to kosher and hillal food laws and the ideas that books can be used in many ways. but that would be to insult my friends who made this site. and id rather keep liveing in a slightly off white blazed world than a world devoid of even dwindeling freedoms. my biblke makes itself magicly into :a cutting board, table, candle holder, fly swater,notebook,compass,emergency food and drink,headlamp,map,blanket,pack,mom,dad,kitchen sink. and i do belive in freedom. im just really grumpy.
    matthewski

i once killed a guy with my bible. i know its against the sites rules to speak of crime but i was released from the cop station 2 hours after the incedent and not charged and it was declared self defence with no trial or even a phone call after. i had to kill a guy in a doorway who stabbed me and i did it by smashing my hardbound wm tyndale bible down so hard on his head he broke and died. his name was matthew claude weinstone and he stabbed me in my heart so i couldnt feel love. but i killed him and now im alive and hes dead. its a wonderfull feeling. i belive in carrying a bible.
    matthewski

baltimore jack tarlin will be here in two hours. thats pritty cool. jester wake up and call in sick to yourself then ask yourself for the day off as i have then come to me my jestorial humanasist.

oh lingering breath of my last hike. oh sorrow of mashed with garlic gone by. oh calender helkel me not. my trail is mine. snot is snot.

i am matthewski an when i say stuff,......well.............ya member simon bar sinister? well,...when he said stuff stuff happened. you will obay the will of matthewski.

bible bart is a philly street artist who lives out of a small pack and walks the streets and has a bible the size of a phone book.it stops bullits he says.
    matthewski

mania is cool huh matty?

Quote Originally Posted by The Solemates View Post
    we did this same thing. i took my postal scale to the store with me, picked out the lightest version (which happened to be new living translation around 6 oz), but i decided to go with the lightest NIV, which was around 7 ounces. we read through cover to cover during our thru. it was great!
    Perhaps you should put the OT and NT on an MP3 player.
    You are never too old.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    mania is cool huh matty?
    LOL (yeah, I know - too short a reply)
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

Why don't you pray for the ideal Bible...it will come to you, if it does not, it's how God wanted it

Default Outdoor Bible

I'm planning on hike the trail this upcoming year but at the same time I want to read the bible cover to cover though this journey. But I can't find a good bible that is small and light. Any suggestions? Thanks
    I use the Outdoor Bible -- http://www.amazon.com/Outdoor-Bible-...5168176&sr=8-1

I carry only one section at a time and swap it out when I have finished. It is waterproof and fits easily in the map compartment of my pack.
    Shutterbug

Quote Originally Posted by Shutterbug View Post
    I use the Outdoor Bible -- http://www.amazon.com/Outdoor-Bible-...5168176&sr=8-1

I carry only one section at a time and swap it out when I have finished. It is waterproof and fits easily in the map compartment of my pack.
    I have one but it's to heavy for me to carry. I've got one on my phone that I carry any way.

my bible is prime. its cover is huge. the pages screem with horsepower. inside i keep the champions of all my battles. ah,...heres moses. hes a stout fellow with a staff. i belive dances with mice may have made mine and smittys in this fashion. and heres the old lady with the 2 mits. wow. shes cool. dont let her old fool you. my bible is a pound of flesh and a pint of water and sits shotgun up front by my willdriver. when i need a slap. i got a nice heavy one to do it with. lol.no phillies makes homer mad.
    matthewski

Others have posted a similar link already, but here is a waterproof bible:
    http://www.bardinmarsee.com/default.aspx
    It is available in NIV and KJV among others. It looks like a good deal.

I do like the ambiance of a worn out old paper bible, though. I am sure after over 2,000 of being hiked around it would have plenty of "ambiance and character".

I have a couple of old bibles passed down throught the generations from my ancesters. One was brought over by them from Sweden and the other from Germany. After a couple of hundred years the leather is shot and the paper is frail, but man they look neat. If only I was able to read Swedish or German! But that doesn't matter, I already know the story!

I makes me wonder how they trecked them across the world and across this continent without so much as a ziplock baggy!(?)

umm ...not to be unchristian but,...in the spirit of cammo jacks accruacy in postings,...my retort must be,.....sir, man woman child and beast have goten considerably further up the survival ladder in rungs pre ziplock, than post. furthermore, the demise of civilization sits squarely on the shoulders of thinking that conveinyence can win out over struggle. strugle got us here. conveinyence is a missing rung.
    matthewski

Weinstone, I agree and like the idea of seperating civilization into two epochs: preziplock and postziplock.

Images

I'm planning on hike the trail this upcoming year but at the same time I want to read the bible cover to cover though this journey. But I can't find a good bible that is small and light. Any suggestions? Thanks
    find a Christian book store. They should have several light weight models to choose from.
    If you find yourself in a fair fight; your tactics suck.

I commend you on your desire to read the Bible. I was going to suggest one of the 'waterproof' varieties, but it seems someone already has. I've got several translations, but find NIV and NASB to be easiest to comprehend.

If you attend church, ask a Sunday School teacher or deacon or such for a Bible study plan. They may be able to give you one that would be easy to follow whilst on the trail. Just a suggestion. Good luck.
    "You hiked up a mountain? Why would anyone want to do that?"--question posed to me by friend

Default Bibles:

Down South , some group places Bibles in all the selters .
    So , in the area where that happens , you wouldn't need to carry any ! DW

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++