WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Schaghticoke Mountain Campsite in CT

Just an FYI that there is no water there at present. I camped there two nights ago and the 'reliable water source, except in very dry years' was dry. If you are heading SOBO, the next water is at Ten Mile River lean-to.

Is Thayer Brook still running? I didn't go that far north on this trip.
    Sometimes I feel like I am walking in my own shadow.

Water is also very bad in Mass. right now. Yesterday the stream below Shaker Campsite is the lowest I've ever seen even in drought years. It's still usable but not by much. It's supposed to start raining for a few days tonight.

white blazes, magic places northernstorm's Avatar

nice to see some fellow NY'ers in my area. i really enjoy connecticutts south gate for some reason. very beautiful.

and yes thayer brook is still running.

Good to know. I decided to turn back when the other water source was dry, because I wasn't sure what was available ahead.

I've just started hiking NY and CT--mostly overnighters until I get in better shape.

Quote Originally Posted by tlap View Post
    Good to know. I decided to turn back when the other water source was dry, because I wasn't sure what was available ahead.

I've just started hiking NY and CT--mostly overnighters until I get in better shape.
    from NY 301 to bulls bridge conn is a nice little section with a couple chances to re-up your supply if you need. bulls bridge has a nice little grocery stor with picnic tables out front to sit and wait for your ride. they also let me use the phone for free. in a historical aspect, legend has it that george washington himself and his carriage crew had to layover there due to technical problems. its the oldest cover bridge in the u.s. if i remember correctly. watch out for the bears! i got charged just before the road there. still dont know if cubs were in the area or not. you'll hike along a beautiful river for a while prior to bulls bridge. if you take it leisurely, it should take maybe 3 days to finish. cant be any more than 30-35 miles.

north of bulls bridge has PLENTY of water sources. especially getting into mass. springs, springs, and more springs. the worst place for water has to be PA in my opinion. new england is abundant. damn i cant wait till march.

This is very helpful info. I will do an overnight at Schaghticoke Mountain Campsite in the near future and was planning on using that water source.
    Nothing says roughing it more . . . than titanium tent pegs.

shagiticoke is nice. lots of rattlers if you're out there during the summer. watch where you step. i almost stepped on one a couple years ago.

shaghiticoke has its own H2O supply. Mt algo shelter is only 3 miles away from there if you decided you wanted a shelter.

i forgot to mention that the water at shaghiticoke is a challenging little trek to get to.

Images

Helpful stuff - thanks, everyone.

Tlap:

I hope you get a chance to get to the NW CT/SW MA Taconic plateau, from 41 just north of 44 in Salisbury to 41 north of Jug End. Lots of fine views, pretty falls. It's a pretty gradual climb from 41 via Lion's Head. Undermountain from 41 just south of Mass line to AT to Bear is more of a workout, and Race Brook Falls to AT to Everett is pretty strenuous. There's lots of good hiking out that way.

I look forward to getting down toward Schagticoke soon. Want to experience the Housatonic Valley via the AT during peak foliage. Hope we get more rain soon!

Quote Originally Posted by Driver8 View Post

Tlap:

I hope you get a chance to get to the NW CT/SW MA Taconic plateau, from 41 just north of 44 in Salisbury to 41 north of Jug End. Lots of fine views, pretty falls. It's a pretty gradual climb from 41 via Lion's Head. Undermountain from 41 just south of Mass line to AT to Bear is more of a workout, and Race Brook Falls to AT to Everett is pretty strenuous. There's lots of good hiking out that way.

I look forward to getting down toward Schagticoke soon. Want to experience the Housatonic Valley via the AT during peak foliage. Hope we get more rain soon!
    i second this section as well.

Tlap:

I am looking forward to that section. I have done MA 23 north to MA 8 in Cheshire. Mt. Greylock can be awesome in foliage season. I've not hiked the AT on Greylock yet but have done various other trails on the mountain.
    Last edited by tlap; 09-10-2010 at 23:41. Reason: fixing a typo

Images

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by tlap View Post
    I am looking forward to that section. I have done MA 23 north to MA 8 in Cheshire. Mt. Greylock can be awesome in foliage season. I've not hiked the AT on Greylock yet but have done various other trails on the mountain.
    The AT along Saddle Ball from just south of Jones Nose junction to Rockwell Road at hairpin turn parking lot is amazing and wild. Very green and lush even in this very dry stretch we've had (I was just out there on Labor Day). Recommend it heartily. The stretch from there to summit is ragged and overhiked. I loved Greylock so much that I enjoyed this stretch, and of course I logged that mile of AT in the process, but it's kind of a guilty feeling. I think in future visits I will ascend the summit of the lovely beast, when from the south, via the Overlook trail.

Hope you enjoy those CT/MA border taconics. I hear the side trail to Frissell via Round Mountain northwestward from Bear and over to tri-state border and Brace/South Brace is somewhat strenuous but wondrous. It's on my to-do list, might be worth your time, too. Sages Ravine, on the AT, is a treasure. I'll make many repeat visits to its beauty. And if it's rained, Race Brook Falls is very much worth the mile plus detour to go take it in (the mile is close to level, the plus is pretty steep).

And bring plenty of water. I'm hearing that many usually reliable water sources are going begging in this bone dry summer we're having.

Images

Tlap:

i just did this section on thursday the 9th. hiked the under mountain trail up to the AT and then headed north into sages ravine over to the ct/mass border and out the paradise lane trail. the ravine had plenty of water but overall the area seemed rather dry. was also able to eat some of the last blueberries that were clinging to life....

Images

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by nitewalker View Post
    i just did this section on thursday the 9th. hiked the under mountain trail up to the AT and then headed north into sages ravine over to the ct/mass border and out the paradise lane trail. the ravine had plenty of water but overall the area seemed rather dry. was also able to eat some of the last blueberries that were clinging to life....
    Wow, you got blueberries that late!?! I haven't been back out that way since 8/7 but in the lower Central CT valley ground I've tromped, the blueberries long since had dried up and died, and I didn't see any the other day at Greylock. Good for you!

Just wondering how the area is now? Anyone been there lately? Headed that way next week and trying to decide on this campsite or the mt algo shelter. We will be in hammocks so the shelter isn't the problem but I will have a new hikier with me and a privy and water supply would be very beneficial.

Last year I stayed there. It is an open-air privy, with privacy provided by a thick hedge of rhododendron. Water supply is easy and close to the site. It *feels* remote...more than any site I've stayed at in CT on AT...which is why I enjoyed it quite a bit.

Thank you so much! The first open privy is always an adjustment for any new hiker, but I think it will be fine. Sounds better than Algo, being .3 miles from the road.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++