WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Psychological effects of thru-hiking?

Just wondering if anyone has any information on the psychological effects of thru-hiking the AT? I am doing a research paper on it but i cant seem to find any information, only on the physical effects! If anyone has any information or suggestions please let me know! Thanks~ Caboose

I've never heard of any studies done on this subject. Your best bet might be an impromptu study of your own; a survey on this site, perhaps.

So many trails... so little time. Many Walks's Avatar

Search the forums and you'll find some threads that touch on the subject.
    That man is the richest whose pleasures are the cheapest. Henry David Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by emmyo22 View Post
    Just wondering if anyone has any information on the psychological effects of thru-hiking the AT? I am doing a research paper on it but i cant seem to find any information, only on the physical effects! If anyone has any information or suggestions please let me know! Thanks~ Caboose
    From what I have learned from other's, a Thru-Hike can affect everyone differently. They say some will walk away mildly affected, some profoundely affected, but no one will walk away unaffected. They say Thru-Hikes have the ability to "enlighten" people, show to them what really matters in life, causing some to abandon distressful jobs, careers, lifestyles, etc...and to instead pursue a more enjoyable, unmaterialistic , simplistic lifestyle

Images

If you're really wanting to do research, I'd say get on TrailJournals and start reading. You'll start to find changes in peoples mindset before, during, and after their hikes. Kind of cool. One of the reasons that draws me to it.

Most are nuts when they start. All are that finish :>))

Clyde

++ New Posts ++