WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Default Nat Geo map software

I ordered some trail maps from National Geographic this morning and noticed they have all kinds of trail mapping software.

Can anyone recommend a version of their software for trails in the southern Appalachians - or is it best to stick with maps?

i have this and i love it. same price as buying 4 maps but you can edit your trip and highlight your trail for most of the southern appalachians. create your own map so to speak.

http://shop.nationalgeographic.com/n...ns-explorer-3d

Quote Originally Posted by kanga View Post
    i have this and i love it. same price as buying 4 maps but you can edit your trip and highlight your trail for most of the southern appalachians. create your own map so to speak.

Maps are better, geek.

PS. No, that looks like a great program!

Kanga, thanks for sharing this. I just began to get into the digital maps. Since I downloaded Google Earth, I've became hooked. I like the idea of printing out your own custom maps.. This is cool!!
    "So what if theres a mountain, get over it!!!" - Graywolf, 2010

Quote Originally Posted by Sly View Post
    Maps are better, geek.

PS. No, that looks like a great program!
    notageek!!

in fact, somewhat computer retarded. it took me awhile (still is) to learn all the nuances of the program, but i have the basics down. i really bought it because i wanted the maps that go with sgt rocks bmt guide but saw absolutely no point in buying 3 maps when i could get them all and personalize them for just a little over the three map cost. and if i tear them up, i can just print new ones. i did get some generic adventure paper too and it made all the difference. i have used a couple of maps several different times, even in rain, and they are still good to go!

Quote Originally Posted by Graywolf View Post
    Kanga, thanks for sharing this. I just began to get into the digital maps. Since I downloaded Google Earth, I've became hooked. I like the idea of printing out your own custom maps.. This is cool!!
    ha! google earth is what gave me the courage to try this out!

I saw the software after I purchased 4 maps!

I hate it when that happens! Check your account status and see if your order has been completely processed. You still may be able to call the nat geo store and cancel.

I hate it when that happens! Check your account status and see if your order has been completely processed. You still may be able to call the nat geo store and cancel.
    I'll keep the maps and put the software on my Christmas list.

And that is a great idea!

I use their TOPO software for printing up USGS quads, and would not consider going out on the trail with anything less.

Other maps (delorme, others) make a nice compliment, but you can't beat the basic utility of a topo map when you are on the trail.

Images

I like the So. Appalachian software, BUT the resolution is not as good as the paper maps....still a nice resource and worth the money. And yes buy some waterproof printer paper (i use the iGage paper and it work well, and is cheaper than natty geo paper)

Quote Originally Posted by humunuku View Post
    I like the So. Appalachian software, BUT the resolution is not as good as the paper maps....still a nice resource and worth the money. And yes buy some waterproof printer paper (i use the iGage paper and it work well, and is cheaper than natty geo paper)

mine was just as good as the paper maps!

I was in back in Wilmington working last week and Great Outdoor Provision had this software for 30% off!

I bought a copy and just loaded it this morning - this is really a nice tool to have for sure.

++ New Posts ++