WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Franconia Notch

Images

Default Franconia Notch

Just got back from a week vacation in the NH White Mountains with the Wife and 11 month old boy. We had a fantastic time. Stayed in Lincoln NH and spent most of our time in and around the Franconia Notch.

*We did a 9 mile hike on Franconia Ridge: Started at Lafayette Campground, went up the waterfall trail to the top of Little Haystack, then up Mt. Lincoln, then up Mt. Lafayette, then past the greenleaf hut, then down the bridle trail. This was probably an over ambitious hike for the wife and 11 month old but it was worth it! Picture of my son on Mt. Lincoln...

*We did a 6 mile bike ride through the notch: Saw the basin and the old man(or whats left of him).

*We did a 3 mile hike up to Lonsome Lake, checked out the hut and hiked around the lake.

*We also took the auto road up to Mt. Washington on a day where the weather was horrible.

The park staff was incredible. Very friendly and helpful.
    We didn't see any moose, but saw lots of tracks and droppings.
    It was a fun trip. I enjoyed introducing the Whites to my wife and young son and they seemed to enjoy the trip!

Looks like the family and you had good weather. Good to hear you had such a great time. Is that kid wearing an AT Rocker on his sleeve? Future thru-hiker in the making! 11 months old too!

The shortish easy side trip in the opposite direction to Mt Liberty summit is well worth it too because the view is just as awesome with less crowds.

Franconia Notch in nice weather is a must-do hike in the White Mountains. AWESOME!

No wonder it was on the front cover of Backpacker mag.

I got that wrong. I think it's Mt Lafayette to the left.

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Looks like a great time was had by all - nice weather too.

The Whites are breathtakingly beautiful, but I don't call that hiking. I wouldn't take anything for the experience I had hiking there and I don't think I'd take anything to hike there ever again!

Images

Starting Aug. 15th my wife and I hiked Franconia Notch to Crawford Notch, what a great trip! The day we crossed the Franconia Ridge the wind was howling, the temperatures were cool to cold, and visability varied between 100 feet and 100 yards as the clouds blew over the ridge. I felt like I was taking part in a Natioanl Geographic expedition that day. Another day we came face to face with moose right on the trail as it was muching on some leaves. Got to the top of Garfield Mt. after dark and lost track of the trail, so as a matter of safety we did some cowboy camping under a perfectly clear sky. On the clear days the scenery was fabulous, on the rainey days the rocks were sometimes slick and dangerous. All in all we had a great trip too. Then we spent a couple days playing touist. Went up Mt. Washington on the cog railway and found that conditions at the top were 37 degrees and the wind 37 MPH gusting to 50. Visited a couple of quaint New England towns, and drove a big circuit around the area to get a taste of it. Glad to hear you enjoyed the area too.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by LIhikers View Post
    Starting Aug. 15th my wife and I hiked Franconia Notch to Crawford Notch, what a great trip! The day we crossed the Franconia Ridge the wind was howling, the temperatures were cool to cold, and visability varied between 100 feet and 100 yards as the clouds blew over the ridge. I felt like I was taking part in a Natioanl Geographic expedition that day.
    Too bad you didn't have any views off Franconia Ridge because they are fantastic. We got the same horrible weather on Mt. Washington. Couldn't even see the train from the observatory.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    I got that wrong. I think it's Mt Lafayette to the left.
    Not sure what you mean by left Dogwood but Mt. Lafayette is north of Mt. Lincoln and Mt. Liberty is South of Mt. Lincoln and Little Haystack.

We didn't go to the top of Mt. Liberty because we didn't take the AT to the top, we did a loop that didn't include Liberty.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by 10-K View Post
    Looks like a great time was had by all - nice weather too.

The Whites are breathtakingly beautiful, but I don't call that hiking. I wouldn't take anything for the experience I had hiking there and I don't think I'd take anything to hike there ever again!
    10-K...i hear you...the climb up to the ridge is indeed taxing, but to me, the ridgewalk is well worth it!

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jersey joe View Post
    10-K...i hear you...the climb up to the ridge is indeed taxing, but to me, the ridgewalk is well worth it!
    Yes, and I apologize if I came across as dissing your hike or the Whites in general.

Walking across Franconia Ridge without a cloud in the sky was a jaw dropping experience that would have only been better if my family had been with me too.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by 10-K View Post
    Yes, and I apologize if I came across as dissing your hike or the Whites in general.

Walking across Franconia Ridge without a cloud in the sky was a jaw dropping experience that would have only been better if my family had been with me too.
    Naw, you didn't diss my hike at all, I completely understood what you were saying...the Whites are TOUGH, GRAND mountains.

Images

Sweet ! This is the hike I plan to do the next trip to NH , either this October or early next spring. I imagine the snow melt in early spring might make for muddy trail conditions so I'm leaning towards an Autumn trip.

That's the way to get the little ones interested in hiking --start 'em early , I commend you JJ.
    Getting lost is a way to find yourself.

Default Cold weather in the Whites.

I once lived in Mass. and had a camp in the Whites. Hiking in early spring at altitude can be very snowy and cold. In the fall snow will fall in October, especially at 3 or 4 thousand feet and above, so be prepared, clotheswise and gearwise.!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by jersey joe View Post
    Too bad you didn't have any views off Franconia Ridge because they are fantastic. We got the same horrible weather on Mt. Washington. Couldn't even see the train from the observatory.

We had great views from the top of South Twin Mt., which is also above tree line. That day there was nothing but clear, blue sky

If I may ask : what are the trails like here in the White Mountains in and near the Franconia Range ? What is the width of the path that you walk? We are in the early stages for planning a thru-hike when we retire. It will be 3 or 4 years from now. The thing is, I am somewhat fearful of heights. It spooks me to think of looking off from a mountain above the tree line. Another question please. Is a sleeping bag rated at 35 degrees sufficent for the trail if we tent and leave Spriger in late March. Thanks for your replies.

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

Overall, you should be fine if you stay on the AT. There are a few "tight" spots, but by the time you get out of Georgia you should be fine.

Here is an earlier thread on the topic.
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

Some comments on the Lafayette Lincoln Haystack Loop. The loop is best done clockwise (Up Old Bridal Path and down Falling Waters). This way you can climb up the mountain with minimal water and refill at Greenleaf Hut. Also the views from OBP are a lot better going up than coming down. Once you leave the hut, the nearest reliable water is down at the falls on Falling Waters Trail (probably 3 to 4 hours hiking time, its real easy to run out of water). Many people who do the loop counterclockwise run out of water during the hotest time of the day. The waterfalls on falling waters trail are best appreciated in the afternoon after a long hike. Another reason to go clockwise is that clouds tend to form on Lafayette first in the afternoon. There are people who run the loop, but plan on 7 to 9 hours of hiking.

The ridge walk can get windy even when it appears calm down below. You should have gear to cover all your skin from the wind. If its a nice day bring sunscreen and put it on when you leave Greenleaf hut. I also strongly encourage sunglasses.

The Greenleaf trail is a nice alternative to the Old Bridal Path, but it requires a car spot or a walk back up the bike path to get back to your car. It is less crowded and in the shade all the way to Greenleaf hut. An extended version of the ridgewalk can be doen by starting on the Skookumchuck trail but that bypasses Greenleaf hut do water managment is important. Thsi option require a car spot acn will add 1 to 2 hours. The ridge north of Lafayette is a boulder hop in spots.

This route is one of the most popular hikes in the whites especially for the next month. The parking lots get full on both sides of the parkway. Note there is a hikers tunnel under the highway so park on either side. If you want to miss the majority of the crowds start early (plus it lets you do the ascent when the weather is cool).

I hike with one person who has a fear of heights, there are one or two spots where shie is concerned but there is a wide bypass route nearby. There is a lot more exposure in other spots of the whites. For some reason Webster Cliffs Trail causes some folks concern and the climb off of Monroe (can be bypassed) also causes some folks concern.

Images

peakbagger, interesting comments. We were pretty set on doing a loop, so the alternative hiking start and end points, while intriguing, were not really options for us. The loop took us roughly 7 hours. We were open to hiking the loop either direction and the ranger in Lafayette campground convinced us to do the loop counter-clockwise. Her reasoning was that the steep waterfall trail was wet and slippery and would be much harder to go down. I think you made good points for going clockwise, but either direction makes for a good hike. Luckily for us we had temperatures in the high 60's so, the water situation wasn't really an issue. We filled up at the hut on the way down.

My friend and I were doing the Pemi Loop on Saturday, which encorpoartes that part of the AT that uou hiked. What day were you on the ridge? We saw many hikers during our trek but no little ones. You have a young natural hiker and I hope that he continues. maybe he could be the youngest to claim all of the 48 "4000" footers!

Jersey Joe, my comments werent directed at you as muhc as someone that is planning to do it based on your post. I have done it both ways this year.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by sixhusbands View Post
    My friend and I were doing the Pemi Loop on Saturday, which encorpoartes that part of the AT that uou hiked. What day were you on the ridge? We saw many hikers during our trek but no little ones. You have a young natural hiker and I hope that he continues. maybe he could be the youngest to claim all of the 48 "4000" footers!
    We were up on the ridge on Tuesday. Having a child strapped to your stomach kind of makes you stand out! I was a little surprised at how many people were actually on the trail on a Tuesday though. There were people everywhere and the lot on the other side of the road(through the tunnel) was full. The ranger we talked to said weekends are jam packed and if you don't arrive before 9am you wont get a spot.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++