WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Brother, can you spare a dime?

Meet a thru-hiker soliciting "donations" to finish his thru-hike. He was standing with a sign near the entrance to the Gorham, NH Wal-Mart. I gave him 5 bucks.

See, that is what happens when you don't budget enough money for a thru-hike. Hope his ticket home is pre-paid or he could be stuck in Maine for the winter!
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

We have 'solicitors' outside our WalMart more often than not...varied signs, varied stories. But they haven't yet used an AT-thru on their story boards...perhaps because it's Missoula. If tapping the backpacking community becomes a new source maybe I'll see a CDT sign pop up but it's kinda late in the season.

FB
    "All persons are born free and have certain inalienable rights. They include the right to a clean and healthful environment..."

Article II, Section 3
    The Constitution of the State of Montana

Section Hiking Knucklehead Hooch's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    Meet a thru-hiker soliciting "donations" to finish his thru-hike. He was standing with a sign near the entrance to the Gorham, NH Wal-Mart. I gave him 5 bucks.

See, that is what happens when you don't budget enough money for a thru-hike. Hope his ticket home is pre-paid or he could be stuck in Maine for the winter!
    There's a great place to get funds to finish a thru-hike. It's called a job.
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

Some people just have no sense of self respect.

I gave him 5 bucks.
    Haven't you ever heard that you shouldn't feed the "wildlife"

Images

There's a guy out here that's real proud of the fact that he left Springer with $200 and is now about to finish his thru hike by relying on the "generosity" of others.

Images

I got hustled by a little kid one time in a walmart parking lot . I think his mom put him up to it. I pushed him down and kicked his stand over. There ain't no princess padgets in January. . . . . So at least this guys not out there roaming the earth for crack or anything aye?

Quote Originally Posted by Hooch View Post
    Standing in front of a business where it's not too hard to get a short term job with a sign about how you lack sufficient money does seem rather questionable, indeed.

Images

I really hope that doesn't happen to me. I'll probably have enough money to make it but I might be homeless until I find a job after my thru-hike. I don't think I'd ever pan handle though...I think I'd rather go hungry.
    Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit, and as vital to our lives as water and good bread.
    -Edward Abbey

extra-ordinary hiker Roughin' It's Avatar

I bet him trailname was Stryder, a young kid with curly hair.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Hooch View Post
    That's pretty harsh. Here is this guy wanting hope AND change (especially change) and you want him to work?
    I'm not really a hiker, I just play one on White Blaze.

When I was doing my hike there was a guy who hiked with a ukulele. He was really good. He was just minding his business strumming out near the grocery store waiting for his friends to finish shopping and someone gave him $20. I suggest that busking may be a little more respectable than panhandling.
    Some knew me as Piper, others as just Diane.
    I hiked the PCT: Mexico to Mt. Shasta, 2008. Santa Barbara to Canada, 2009.

Section Hiking Knucklehead Hooch's Avatar
    Images

Yep, and if he was any kind of man, he'd want to work, too. Of course, it's much easier to throw your dignity in the crapper and beg for handouts and depend on others for something instead of working hard for it.
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

Images

Default Rainbow Gathering

There was a guy in the same place a couple weeks ago with a sign (Anything Helps), He had worn and ripped clothes and no shoes, He did have a little duffle bag which probably had his 3 piece suit in it(just kidding), He said he needed money to get to The Rainbow Gathering at the New Hampshire/Vermont Line.

Quote Originally Posted by john gault View Post
    Some people just have no sense of self respect.
    He will fit right in with todays society.

Images

Slo go'en, he got $5 more from you than he would have gotten from me.

Images

Default jerks

that was prolly him posting.. still stuck in New Hampshire I see.

maybe he gots himself a jobby job at that there Wal Mart, I tell you what.
    I broke a mirror in my house. I'm supposed to get seven years bad luck but my lawyer thinks he can get me five.

Quote Originally Posted by jesse View Post
    Slo go'en, he got $5 more from you than he would have gotten from me.
    Ah well, sometimes I'm in a charitable mood.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

You know he spent it on MD 20/20.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by max patch View Post
    You know he spent it on MD 20/20.
    Or Wild Irish Rose.
    Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit, and as vital to our lives as water and good bread.
    -Edward Abbey

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++