WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Future I-3

Images

Default Future I-3

I just read that there is a purposed I-3 from Knoxville, TN to Savannah, GA. Does anyone if this will effect the AT? What will it do to the already trails in the GSMNP that this interstate will go through?
    "A million mile journey begins with one step"

Registered User Tennessee Viking's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

This story comes up about 1-2 times a month. Right now, there is nothing on the table. There are some possible routes. But because it comes very close to a number of national forest lands, wilderness areas and the Smokies, it is not very popular with the TN/NC/GA locals. And will be 2-3 times more expensive going through that rugid terrian compared to regular non-mountain interstate.

You can read the plans on it at: http://www.stopi3.org/
    ''Tennessee Viking'
    Mountains to Sea Trail Hiker & Maintainer
    Former TEHCC (AT) Maintainer

Images

Exclamation

Sharing, for those it may interest--

"GATC members:

"For some of you this is an old issue that has been around for several years. The Federal Highway Administration has opened a website to solicit public feedback about the proposed highway I-3. GATC and ATC have opposed this highway since its inception since it will most likely cross the trail corridor negatively affecting the AT experience. Two of the most recent routes pass through Dahlonega, Ellijay and Chatsworth or Rabun County and Natahala National Forest. Please express your opinions here: http://www.fhwa.dot.gov/planning/sec...y/feedback.cfm

"For those not familiar with this proposal, the 3rd Infantry Division (I-3) highway will most likely be a new interstate connecting Savannah, Augusta and Knoxville. Some proposed routes actually include passing through Great Smokey Mountains National Park. Ways South is a non-profit dedicated to sustainable transportation options in the southern Appalachians. More information is available at their website: http://www.wayssouth.org/2011/03/i3-...reaten-s-apps/ "

[I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

Springer-->Stony Brook Road VT MedicineMan's Avatar
    Images

Never happen. You don't build interstates when you economy has collapsed
    Start out slow, then slow down.

Baron
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by MedicineMan View Post

The Nazis did. Ever hear of the Autobahn?
    ‎"You know your camping trip really isn't going well when you find yourself hoping to stave off sepsis with a six-pack of Icehouse. "

"Age is not an accomplishment, and youth is not a sin."

Quote Originally Posted by MedicineMan View Post
    Sure they do. they call it "Stimulus".

I-3 is going to happen. Most of it is actually already there. I you look at a current map, you will see that US-441 already runs from Cherokee to Savannah GA. It is 4 lane most of the way. Cherokee to Stecoah is also 4 lane now. There is a proposal to extend this across (or under) Stecoah Gap (K-7 Plan) in the next few years. TN has already built interstate from Oak Ridge to Alcoa (near Maryville) and has plans to extend this down to the Townsend area, just outside the GSMNP. That only leaves about a 100 mile span around the Smokies that would need to be completed.

Granted, 4 lane restricted isnt like having an interstate, but it will be sufficient for the purpose that the government needs. For those that arent aware.... Oak Ridge is the original site of the Atomic Bomb factory, which is scheduled for dismantling. Savannah is the currently the largest Nuclear Waste Disposal site on the east coast. It doesnt take a rocket scientist to understand why the government wants this road, and why it will eventually become a reality.
    ----------------
    SMHC Trail Maintainer
    Volunteer in the Park (VIP) GSMNP

Images

US 441 doesn't come remotely close to Savannah, GA currently.
    Skids

Insanity: Asking about inseams over and over again and expecting different results.
    Albert Einstein, (attributed)

Images

Build a choo choo, with a hiker biker trail running alongside. We can watch the glow in the dark rail cars glide by as they haul all of the waste to savannah river plant.
    Let no one be deluded that a knowledge of the path can substitute for putting one foot in front of the other.
    —M. C. Richards

++ New Posts ++