WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Hiking with a group.

I am going to be hiking the Through hiking the AT with three people I have never hiked with before, Camp Counselor friends. But I know all of them have hiked at a distance before.

I am curious as to what you all would say on carrying gear. I am in the thought group to carry your own gear so if we get separated for a night or two.

My other hiking friends say we should stick together and share the weight.

What do you all think? BTW I am a Hammock hiker so no matter what I won't be sharing a tent.

All carry your own gear, including shelter.
    [COLOR="Blue"]Hokey Pokey [/COLOR]

Carry all your own gear, there are too many possibilities that would add up to you not having something you need. . . you don't want to be beholden to others, or them to you, for equipment or supplies you might need. . . have a great hike. . .

Quote Originally Posted by Hikerhead View Post
    All carry your own gear, including shelter.
    I would agree with you. I haven't thru-hiked, but everything I have learned tells me to carry all my own gear, everything. You never know what will happen on a long journey like this. Partners may decide to throw in the towel, wether they want to or simply have to do to problems beyond their control. If you have all your own gear, you can choose to continue on your hike without being forced to prematurely end your journey due to not having the necessary gear you need to finish. And also make sure you have adequate funds to finish, which is even more important. At least if need be, you may be able to pick up some additional items if you have enough funds.

Garlic
    Images

Unless you're married to your partner, carry your own gear. Everyone should be self-sufficient.

If you do decide to share a stove and pot, be sure to carry stuff that can be eaten cold, like oats, instant potatoes and refried beans, ramen.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

Images

Ditto--each carry your own gear. The chance of one person finishing is about 20%. The chance of two people finishing together is about 4%. The chance of four people starting together and finishing together is about .16%.

There are many humorous (if you're not one of the people involved) stories about hiking partners breaking up. One NOBO told me he came across a pile of gear lying in the trail. The note on top said something like, "John, here's you half of the stuff. I hope I never see you again as long as I live."
    If not NOW, then WHEN?

ME>GA 2006
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=3277

Instagram hiking photos: five.leafed.clover

Images

Even if you do hike the whole distance together, you'll sleep much, much better in your own tent. You'll have dinner much sooner if you each have your own stove and food. You can hike at your own pace is you don't constantly have to coordinate plans so you meet up for meals and at bedtime.

In other words, having your own gear gives you freedom to hike your own hike.
    If not NOW, then WHEN?

ME>GA 2006
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=3277

Instagram hiking photos: five.leafed.clover

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Marta View Post
    There are many humorous (if you're not one of the people involved) stories about hiking partners breaking up. One NOBO told me he came across a pile of gear lying in the trail. The note on top said something like, "John, here's you half of the stuff. I hope I never see you again as long as I live."
    That's a good one
    The trail was here before we arrived, and it will still be here when we are gone...enjoy it now, and preserve it for others that come after us

I'm not sure anyone has mentioned this, but it has to be said: Carry your own gear.

So many trails... so little time. Many Walks's Avatar

It sounds like their stuff is heavier than yours. Carry your own and enjoy your hike!
    That man is the richest whose pleasures are the cheapest. Henry David Thoreau

Images

Just make sure you're the one carrying the booze / other. They'll find you, and if not you'll make plenty of new hiking friends with food to share.
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

Garlic
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Marta View Post
    ...One NOBO told me he came across a pile of gear lying in the trail. The note on top said something like, "John, here's you half of the stuff. I hope I never see you again as long as I live."
    I think I met John. He was hiking naked and playing the tune "Winchester Cathedral" on a tin flute. He told me he was looking for his hiking partners. I wonder why he couldn't find them...
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

I agree with the rest of the people here and carry your own gear. Hike your own pace and the group can always meet someplace for a rest time/meal time and etc. I have leave a trip due to a dislocated shoulder and there was no way I could meet up with my hiking partner to let him know. He would've been screwed big time if he had to wait on me for whatever.

Even my dog carries his own gear. Well, his kibble, anyway.

Even my boyfriend and I carry our own gear. We usually share the tent, but we've even taken our own separate tents.
    Some knew me as Piper, others as just Diane.
    I hiked the PCT: Mexico to Mt. Shasta, 2008. Santa Barbara to Canada, 2009.

Images

For a thru hike carry your own...for section only maybe share.
    halftime

Quote Originally Posted by AHolcomb View Post
    I am going to be hiking the Through hiking the AT with three people I have never hiked with before, Camp Counselor friends. But I know all of them have hiked at a distance before.

I am curious as to what you all would say on carrying gear. I am in the thought group to carry your own gear so if we get separated for a night or two.

What do you all think? BTW I am a Hammock hiker so no matter what I won't be sharing a tent.
    everbody carry their own stuff. the chances of you all making it are slim

Images

Quote Originally Posted by AHolcomb View Post

dont listen to all this non sense.....split up all the weight equally...then you can carry more stuff what could happen???

Images

Quote Originally Posted by gungho View Post
    what could happen???
    A group of friends were hiking JMT recently and one of group had to be air lifted to hosital...better for each hiker to be independent (especially in emergency).
    halftime

++ New Posts ++