WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: "Hoarders"

Images

yeah, older woman in detroit died in a fire because the firemen couldnt get to her with all the junk she hoarded. plus the usual suspects, old furniture and magazines/newspapers, make great kindling
    I broke a mirror in my house. I'm supposed to get seven years bad luck but my lawyer thinks he can get me five.

Such interesting people on this show.

Images

But that tiny house costs $516 per square foot. My 2700 square foot home cost me about $61 per square foot. I firmly believe in profits, but, yikes!! It's a wooden camper.
    Old Hiker
    AT Hike 2012 - 497 Miles of 2184
    AT Thru Hiker - 29 FEB - 03 OCT 2016 2189.1 miles
    Just because my teeth are showing, does NOT mean I'm smiling.
    Hányszor lennél inkább máshol?

Precisely why I wouldn't do it their way. I love the principle of their products, but past that point my ideas start to diverge...

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Old Hiker View Post
    But that tiny house costs $516 per square foot. My 2700 square foot home cost me about $61 per square foot. I firmly believe in profits, but, yikes!! It's a wooden camper.
    Pretty much. And a camper/travel trailer is a lot cheaper. The designs are pretty slick too. Lots of convenience built into very low square footage, dual power options(propane, electric) on most of the appliances, fresh water storage, convenient hookups, etc.
    Skids

Insanity: Asking about inseams over and over again and expecting different results.
    Albert Einstein, (attributed)

My sis suffers from this. It's a serious mental disorder.

Don't get me wrong, I chuckled at everybody's jokes above. But if you know somebody who suffers from it you'll realize it's way more intense than just collecting things.

If you go in somebody's house and it looks like a cave with tunnels through the stuff, there you go.

She had to move back home with my mom to battle breast cancer. It took us almost a month to clear out her condo, which was only two bedrooms. Now, her room at my mom's house is almost filled to the ceiling with crap. Her car also. My poor mom is about to tear her hair out.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by sherrill View Post

Don't get me wrong, I chuckled at everybody's jokes above. But if you know somebody who suffers from it you'll realize it's way more intense than just collecting things.

If you go in somebody's house and it looks like a cave with tunnels through the stuff, there you go.

She had to move back home with my mom to battle breast cancer. It took us almost a month to clear out her condo, which was only two bedrooms. Now, her room at my mom's house is almost filled to the ceiling with crap. Her car also. My poor mom is about to tear her hair out.
    Hope you all can get her the help she needs. But remember to put your own and your mom's lives before hers. The disease has already claimed her to some extent - don't let it ruin your lives as well.
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroLozen View Post
    Such interesting people on this show.
    Ya' ain't seen nothin', yet.

FB
    "All persons are born free and have certain inalienable rights. They include the right to a clean and healthful environment..."

Article II, Section 3
    The Constitution of the State of Montana

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Fiddleback View Post
    Ya' ain't seen nothin', yet.

FB
    OOOoooo, there's gonna be pictures?!? Can I be first to be offended? Huh? Can I??? PLEEEEEEZZZZEEEE???
    Old Hiker
    AT Hike 2012 - 497 Miles of 2184
    AT Thru Hiker - 29 FEB - 03 OCT 2016 2189.1 miles
    Just because my teeth are showing, does NOT mean I'm smiling.
    Hányszor lennél inkább máshol?

Quote Originally Posted by sherrill View Post

Seems like hoarding is almost always triggered by some traumatic loss (or sense of loss) in the victims life.

I have a friend who's ex-wife fell victim to the disorder after the death of their young child. It's truly devastating, but what I found interesting with his case, is that he failed to get her therapy. He complained, tried to hide it from family (basically no one was invited to visit anymore), but couldn't bring himself to get her therapy (I think he was in denial to some extent too). In my mind by not confronting her, in a sense he was enabling her.

The cases they show on 'Hoarders', by their own admission, are the extreme (9 or 10 on a 1-10 scale). There are plenty of 1, 2, or 3's out there that most of us just look at as 'messy housekeepers'.

Sorry to here about your sis Sherrill , hope you can get her the help she needs, for everyone's sake!

TF
    www.postholer.com/Turtle Feet
    Follow me as I crawl the A.T.
    Life is an adventure or nothing at all ~ Hellen Keller

Default "Hoarders"

As with alcoholism, there are support groups for people who are affected by other people's problems. De Nile isn't just a river in Egypt....

The most serious hoarding problem I knew was a former Cuban landlord. He and his wife were both hoarders, fiercely protective of their hoards. They were both "disabled" major leaches on the government, and also made large use of doctors and other professionals to help them feel better. I rented a small cottage on their property above a garage. I tried for a while to get them to clean out the garage, which they grudgingly permitted by dribs and drabs. We found a dead raccoon there, which had been reduced to a mere hide. Their house was in utter squalor, they tunnelled through the newspapers and other debris to get to their rooms. They refused to pay income taxes on significant income.

It took me quite a while to recover from the pain of renting from these people. I did report the issue to the state health department--the town health department was also in denial, enabling the situation, or afraid of the wrath of the Cuban if they took action. A psychologist can understand these situations.

Hiking did me good in helping heal from the situation.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++