WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Images

I'd say to join a Scout Troop somewhere - you have instant "trail-cred" since you are a thru-hiker. Don't want to go every week? Be a Merit Badge counselor - any and all outdoor type Merit Badges: Backpacking, Hiking, Wilderness Survival, etc. Volunteer to lead a small(ish) group of Scouts on a week long section hike of the AT near you. Check with your college - will they give you credits for the hike as life experience? If not, try to change the policy so that they could and will.
    Old Hiker
    AT Hike 2012 - 497 Miles of 2184
    AT Thru Hiker - 29 FEB - 03 OCT 2016 2189.1 miles
    Just because my teeth are showing, does NOT mean I'm smiling.
    Hányszor lennél inkább máshol?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lion King View Post
    things to do at college to take your mind off it:

Get laid
    Drink
    Get laid again
    Now your talking ...

Quote Originally Posted by Luddite View Post
    You should quit school and go hike the PCT or the CDT.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lion King View Post
    things to do at college to take your mind off it:

Get laid
    Drink
    Get laid again

Be careful of what you ask for here on WB because this is the kind of stuff you will get! LOL! They may not be entirely wrong either! LOL!

One way I take the edge off boredom and anxiety between hikes is by doing what was advised by RamBunny, OldCranky, Blissful, and Pilgrim. I share what I've learned on my hikes with others during that time. If your life's hiking experiences have brought you new perspectives, love, wisdom, laughter, etc they are worth sharing with others. Volunteering is a great way to accomplish this!

I am also deeply passionate about my career as a Landscape Designer when I'm not hiking. I throw myself into that by incorporating what I've learned while hiking into my designs, work ethics, and attitude on the job!

Before you went on your thru-hike, it was probably the biggest thing on your mind. You were filled with excitement and anticipation. Now that it's over, your left with emptiness. JohnnyBGood and Lilred are dead-on; start planning the next adventure.

Default Congratulations Hollywood

Hey Hollywood, congratulations on completing your thru hike. I enjoyed spending time with you on the southern part of the trail. I have been wondering, did your shoes make it all the way?

Boomhauer

Quote Originally Posted by Aggie hiker View Post
    Hey Hollywood, congratulations on completing your thru hike. I enjoyed spending time with you on the southern part of the trail. I have been wondering, did your shoes make it all the way?

Boomhauer
    I got to Harper's ferry, they had around 1700 total miles on them(sections before my thru, ect). Merrell sent me a new pair in Harper's Ferry. I repaired them with parachute cord, same as the old ones. I still wear them.

You might try and see if you can present your experience as a slide show or backpacking presentation to groups in the community. I've done it a couple of times and it really was fun and made me feel good.

Sounds like you also need to do more. 9 hours of class isn't much. Can you get a job or join something? I found after my hike I really liked super boring repetetive jobs. I could think about the trail and my experience while I worked. I sort of eased back into "artificial" life like that.
    Some knew me as Piper, others as just Diane.
    I hiked the PCT: Mexico to Mt. Shasta, 2008. Santa Barbara to Canada, 2009.

Quote Originally Posted by amac View Post
    Before you went on your thru-hike, it was probably the biggest thing on your mind. You were filled with excitement and anticipation. Now that it's over, your left with emptiness. JohnnyBGood and Lilred are dead-on; start planning the next adventure.
    I admittedly hike a lot, but after a long hike, like 3-5 months, I HAVE NEVER EVER FELT LIKE I WAS LEFT WITH EMPTINESS!!! After a thru-hike I feel a deep and lasting sense of gratitude. I think of all that I have learned on my hikes that has helped me in my non-hiking life - the new friends, memorable and unique experiences, the greater appreciation for the environment/wilderness, etc that I will carry inside of me for the rest of my life and that I can share with others to possibly also enrich their lives. After a thru-hike, I do feel like I'm switching gears, taking on new perspectives, and defining my life differently than before each previous hike! BUT, just because we have a tendency to switch lanes after a hike DOES NOT mean we are still not behind the wheel! It just may mean we see ourselves in a different vehicle on possibly a different road! LIFE still has purpose, excitement, and meaning for me after finishing a hike!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    Be careful of what you ask for here on WB because this is the kind of stuff you will get!

I am deeply passionate about my career as a Landscape Designer when I'm not hiking. I throw myself into that by incorporating what I've learned while hiking into my designs, work ethics, and attitude on the job!
    Some people who think through hiking is a life might learn from those who have found one!

Images

snap out of it
    If you find yourself in a fair fight; your tactics suck.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Blissful View Post
    If you are bored, help some youth in your community get out and enjoy the outdoors. Get involved in Big Brothers, Scouting, etc Do things for others instead of thinking of your woes - it does help. And be glad you had the experience you did.
    Hi Blissful,

It was great to meet you on the trail today. I was part of that motley looking bunch of section hikers (and post-thru hikers) near catfish fire tower. The words you posted above were reflected in the conversation among us. BTW - We had a scout leader in our "gang" along with some very active AMC group leaders. You are truly an awesome person and an inspiration. Hang in there we're with you in spirit!!

Best Regards,

Bob
    Simple is good.

Images

Two words: TRAIL CLUB. Locate the nearest AT Club near you. They will have projects on weekends, week-long crews, and available AT sections for you to "own". You can live the AT forever and make it a better trail in the process.

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    I admittedly hike a lot, but after a long hike, like 3-5 months, I HAVE NEVER EVER FELT LIKE I WAS LEFT WITH EMPTINESS!!! After a thru-hike I feel a deep and lasting sense of gratitude. I think of all that I have learned on my hikes that has helped me in my non-hiking life - the new friends, memorable and unique experiences, the greater appreciation for the environment/wilderness, etc that I will carry inside of me for the rest of my life and that I can share with others to possibly also enrich their lives. After a thru-hike, I do feel like I'm switching gears, taking on new perspectives, and defining my life differently than before each previous hike! BUT, just because we have a tendency to switch lanes after a hike DOES NOT mean we are still not behind the wheel! It just may mean we see ourselves in a different vehicle on possibly a different road! LIFE still has purpose, excitement, and meaning for me after finishing a hike!
    Excellent. Yes. Lot depends on your outlook, and being positive is a huge key.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Carbo View Post
    Hi Blissful,

It was great to meet you on the trail today. I was part of that motley looking bunch of section hikers (and post-thru hikers) near catfish fire tower. The words you posted above were reflected in the conversation among us. BTW - We had a scout leader in our "gang" along with some very active AMC group leaders. You are truly an awesome person and an inspiration. Hang in there we're with you in spirit!!

Best Regards,

Bob
    It was great to meet you all too.

Talk about positive people with smiles and great attitudes was this group of people from all walks of life, many who had done thru hikes in different years, together enjoying a hike and life. Great to see.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Post-achievement depression is pretty common. It varies considerably from person to person and with the relative degree of achievement.

Best thing seems to start something new... The depression, once experienced, doesn't often return after the next achievement.

Images

Hollywood,

I'm sure you don't remember me, but I was section hiking when we met briefly just outside the DWG on the NJ side. I remember your trail name because you had something (sunscreen?) on your face... hence, reminded me of the "hollywood makeup".

Your boredom and depression is just your mind getting ready for the next "adventure". Passion has a way of ebbing and flowing throughout our lives. You can't "force" your way out of this period, the passion and enjoyment of life will return sometimes is very unexpected ways. Try new things, meet people, go places where you normally wouldn't go, stay connected with those you know. It will get better.

Good luck & take care!
    Simple is good.

I just finished hiking the trail this year also. Lately I've been getting restless.

My plan lately has been selling everything I own. If I'm not selling something, I'm working on selling it. Getting smaller and smaller by the minute. Things feel like they did back when I was in Georgia. Impossible or overwhelming but you have to be patient and put one foot in front of the next. Keep putting in the hours and you'll get there.

That's what I keep telling myself...one step at a time...my plan is to rid myself of all these anchors and then hit the road. I feel excited every time I get closer to being free.

Get a job and pay off your bills...one dollar at a time.

I saw this quote at the tattoo shop in Baltimore on my way home...

Good things come to those who wait, everything else goes to those who hustle

boring and deppressed before my thruhike im not able to do.
    matthewski

Default boring and depressed after my thru

As John Milton said in "Paradise Lost":

"The mind is its own place, and in itself
    Can make a heav'n of hell, a hell of heav'n."
    You can create a good life through doing good. If you are depressed, you will feel a lot better if you can help others less fortunate than yourself, join a hiking club, outdoors groups, a church where you can enjoy the give and take of such groups.

As you are going to school part-time, you could probably find part-time work at a temp agency. I have worked for property owners doing yard work, and for temp agencies and labor pools doing day work. It is a way to connect with others who are in need of what you have to offer.

As for the person who advised "getting laid" as some sort of solution to being bored and depressed, without a real commitment, this is just awful advice. If you have a commitment, fine, but I have seen over and over how promiscuity causes emotional hurt ultimately--you can't fool nature and she will exact her pound of flesh in the end. In conservative groups, dating happens through the father of the girl. The father checks out the guy in terms of his character, and how he would provide for his daughter or how the relationship will develop long-term. Fleeting pleasures come with a price tag. Think of your parents and siblings and how they learned from their life experiences. Responsibility has rewards, irresponsibility and shiftlessness has penalties. Society judges people according to their "status", this may be unfair, but people want to know what you do for a living in order to earn their respect.

I'm glad you are admitting that you feel unfulfilled in some way. It is a step toward progress and I wish you well as you make progress through submitting to others with greater life experience.

white blazes, magic places northernstorm's Avatar

It is quite difficult adjusting back into society. I also know this feeling.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++