Images

Default Winter Pack Size?

During the summer I use an Osprey Kestrel 48 (46L because I have the small) which fits my gear perfectly. I'm looking into starting winter hiking and that size bag won't fit my winter gear. I'm pretty sure I want to get the Gregory Deva, but would 60 or 70L be better? My 0* bag is much bulkier (packs to 9x17, I bought a compression sack but it hasn't arrived yet) than my 30* summer bag and I'm assuming I'll go through more food and also have bulkier clothing to keep warm.

I was thinking about 65L would be good, but since the Deva is only 60 or 70 liters, go up 5L or go down 5L?

Images

It's not just the sleeping bag -- add your winter clothing, including dry base layers for sleeping, down jacket, extra hat and gloves, maybe down booties in deep cold, etc. Extra food and fuel are very important - gotta feed the furnace in the winter. A second sleeping pad, or a thicker winter pad, takes up yet more room. And depending on which sleeping bag you have, they can take up a lot of room inside a pack.

All this is a long-winded way of saying, probably the 70. But it would be great if you could take all your gear to the outfitter and try it inside. (Or order it from REI so you can return it for a different model.)

You might also look at the Ariel 65 or 75.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Images

Also the ULA Catalyst...
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Journal Entries

A 65 L will work for you. Iam taking a 4600 cuin McHale full dyneema pack which is same size as a 65L. I will use it for the AT thru hike in 2012. It will hold all my Winter gear. Base weight is 18lbs and my Summer weight will be around 12lbs. Your 29 and should have no problem with a heavier base weight. Good Luck!

Quote Originally Posted by EJC View Post
    During the summer I use an Osprey Kestrel 48 (46L because I have the small) which fits my gear perfectly. I'm looking into starting winter hiking and that size bag won't fit my winter gear. I'm pretty sure I want to get the Gregory Deva, but would 60 or 70L be better? My 0* bag is much bulkier (packs to 9x17, I bought a compression sack but it hasn't arrived yet) than my 30* summer bag and I'm assuming I'll go through more food and also have bulkier clothing to keep warm.

I was thinking about 65L would be good, but since the Deva is only 60 or 70 liters, go up 5L or go down 5L?
    It's funny when people ask these questions about packs and wonder how big they need to go for a "winter pack size" and yet fail to mention how many days they'll be gone without resupply. Is it one night? Is is a 20 day trip w/o resupply?? Hard to tell. Anyway, I think a 100 liter pack (6,000 cubic inches) is about perfect for long winter trips as then you have room for a bulky down parka, crampons, four season tent and extra pegs, extra fuel, extra gloves and hats and a beefier sleeping bag and pad. Plus, you can load it up with 15 days + of food and not think about coming home until the snow thaws.

Winter pack? Depends. Artic winter or your standard AT cold weather? The Mountain Crossings cold weather gear list comes in at only about 16lbs. base weight.

Images

Trips usually range from 4-10 days, probably never more than 14. There should be at least 1 resupply on all over 10 days. And no artic treks or anything, mostly standard AT winter weather along with possible trips on both coasts, so nothing horribly extreme. Just looking for a rough estimate of size. I know the 46 L will be too small and i want a larger more versatile pack.

---
    I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=39.964097,-76.683371

Images

Does anyone know how to get the location thing off the bottom of my messages?

---
    I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=39.964097,-76.683371

++ New Posts ++