WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast

Default how much money do you make?

I recently was involved in a discussion with a guy concerning whether people who hike the AT are people who have a lot of money. This guy said "only people with a lot of money can take off like that and not work. I agree with him, but only so far. I say the persons lifestyle dictates whether someone is able to take off for an extended amount of time. Having the house paid off and not eating out goes quite a ways in helping out. I once read about a couple in Canada who dedicate their lives to canoeing and writing about their adventures. They live in a little 20x 16 foot cabin.My wife and I make about $35,000 a year. Any thoughts?

This guy said "only people with a lot of money can take off like that and not work.

When I see statements like that I smell the beginnings of an excuse or someone who doesn't actually understand the vast economic range of hikers who somehow MAKE IT ABLE FOR THEMSELVES TO HIKE!

Prioritizing and organizing my lifestyle, which sometimes means I live outside of societal norms, are the primary reasons why I'm able to hike as much as I do.

El Sordo
    Images

working for wages, high or low limits how much time you can take off to devote to thru hiking. I'd guess that most through hikers are making no money. How they saved up for or financed their adventure probably says more about them then it does about the economy in general. FWIW, most of the thru-hikers I've met have either been just out of college or retired. Might be a few in the middle, but not many. Kids and careers tend to crowd out 6 month long departures from everyday life.
    Dyslexics Untie!

I saved up a lot of money. I was also making a lot of money while I saved it. I had an above median income, no children, no debt, no house, no car payments and was making more than the average male head of household, yet living like someone on minimum wage. Bought my clothes at the thrift store or at Macy's on sale. Went hiking on weekends (free activity). Was able to save up a whole year's worth of my salary which was actually equivalent to about 4 years worth of living expenses.

Now I make only a little more than half what I did back then, but my bank account is growing again, although slower than last time. Shop now at the thrift store and not Macy's anymore. Still no car or house payments. Managed to get a rent reduction.

Frugality is the key. Not money as much as money management. NO DEBT! Ever. There is nothing that is worth going into debt if your priority in life is freedom to hike.
    Some knew me as Piper, others as just Diane.
    I hiked the PCT: Mexico to Mt. Shasta, 2008. Santa Barbara to Canada, 2009.

i disagree with the comment the guy you spoke with, made. thats a HUGE generalization, and many hikers choose to do the hike between college and "real life". You dont have to make a lot of money to do it either...with the right prep you can do it for a few grand which just requires some saving...my gues would be that the majority are actually far from monetary wealth.

have you ever seen the PBS documentary "Alone in the Wilderness"? great doc and story of a guy who was about 50, who went to alaska, picked out a perfect spot of land and built a log cabin by hand with very few tools, no power tools at all...pretty cool...i think that would be a great way to live life, but technology also intrigues me and i dont think i could give up the life i have now. an even mix is best i think..that being said, i make quite a bit and enjoy having stability as well as flexibility to buy what i want.

Quote Originally Posted by ExosC3 View Post
    have you ever seen the PBS documentary "Alone in the Wilderness"? great doc and story of a guy who was about 50, who went to alaska, picked out a perfect spot of land and built a log cabin by hand with very few tools, no power tools at all...pretty cool...i think that would be a great way to live life, but technology also intrigues me and i dont think i could give up the life i have now. an even mix is best i think..that being said, i make quite a bit and enjoy having stability as well as flexibility to buy what i want.
    or read the book
    http://www.amazon.com/One-Mans-Wilde...ref=pd_sim_d_1

Quote Originally Posted by flemdawg1 View Post
    or that too, also great option

Just post your at-home budget, we'll get you straightened out financially

Images

I agree with SBHikes. Frugality is the key - do you need those luxuries? Like my first First Sgt told us: you run into debt and crawl out.

Pay yourself 1st, then everyone else. You'd be surprised at what you can take out of your take-home pay and not miss after a while.
    Old Hiker
    AT Hike 2012 - 497 Miles of 2184
    AT Thru Hiker - 29 FEB - 03 OCT 2016 2189.1 miles
    Just because my teeth are showing, does NOT mean I'm smiling.
    Hányszor lennél inkább máshol?

A lot of good and wise cooments made, but instead of trying to pigeon hole or characterize the avg. person, avg income, typical situation of a thru-hiker, I find it infinitely more helpful too focus on how people acheive their goals/dreams. When I notice someone who has avheived something I would also like to acheive, I look for, not someone who is in the exact same sitiuation as me, because it's highly unlikely that any two people are in the exact same situation in life, but the mindset of these high acheiving individuals. How do they get high quality things done? What does that take? How have they found solutions to their issues, AND, this does not mean they are in the exact same situation as me. I ask myself, "have I also acheived things in the past that were initially considered difficult or impossible?" These are the solution minded questions I ask of myself. What's typical of those that constantly and consistently live their dreams while at the same time contibute to the lives of others?

Garlic
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    ...Frugality is the key. Not money as much as money management. NO DEBT! Ever. There is nothing that is worth going into debt if your priority in life is freedom to hike.
    Exactly. No debt. The key for me was working my ass off for 15 years and paying the house off early. After the house was free and clear, I suddenly had little need for that much income, so I quit working and went hiking. Hiking taught me how to live even more frugally, so I haven't needed to go back to work yet.

I hitched a ride in Dunsmuir, CA on the PCT from an classy older gent in a Cadillac. He asked what I did for a living. I had just quit my electrical engineering job, so that's what I told him. He nodded and said most hikers he gives rides to (quite a few, it sounded like) were professionals on sabbatical, with lots of money, and they tended to spend money in town (he was local businessman). That was his take. I think maybe he only picked up older, professional looking people so his sample may have been skewed.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

Hike smarter, not harder.

Sometimes it's harder for people who make a lot of money to get time off. They just have too many plates in the air they have to keep spinning.
    Con men understand that their job is not to use facts to convince skeptics but to use words to help the gullible to believe what they want to believe - Thomas Sowell

Quote Originally Posted by skinewmexico View Post
    Sometimes it's harder for people who make a lot of money to get time off. They just have too many plates in the air they have to keep spinning.

True! That is why I retired in June when the opportunity arose. Live is too short to spend it always working.
    You are never too old.

Images

"only people with a lot of money can take off like that and not work."

A lot of money is a relative term. What I thought of as "lot of money" back when I was 24 does not hold true today - even accounting for inflation.

Yes, living without debt is one option. But once children come into the picture, there is a desire to give them a better life than what you have gone through. This brings up a house, a car, PSPs, XBOXs, etc. This quickly piles up. But all this boils down to priorities. What do you stand today and where do you wish to stand tomorrow.

If your priority is hiking (and it seems to be for a whole lot of WB members) then, you work hard to bring those priorities to fruition.

Thanks

avatar= bushwhackin' mount kancamagus nh 5-8-04 neighbor dave's Avatar
    Images

when ya aint got nothin', ya got nothin' to lose, you're invisible, no secrets to conceal, how does it feel?

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

I'll 3rd the "No Debt" option but it's also not a reality for most families, especially families with young children that are just getting established.

Before you can work your butt off to pay off your mortgage you have to get one. Same with the car.

The era of saving up cash to make a big ticket purchase like grandpa did is over and never coming back.

And don't forget - credit, used wisely, is an excellent tool. I use other peoples money as often as I can if it costs less than using my own. It is the irresponsible use of credit that gets people in trouble.

Things can change quickly. I'm 49 and hope to retire in the next few years. We have zero debt, own 2 homes and a nice chunk of mountian property. But the reality is that we could lose it all and be back in debt in the blink of an eye. What I'm trying to say is not to take anything for granted.

Kids don't need XBoxes. I didn't have one. Kids can do a lot with a stick and a piece of string. Or a box of old clothes to play dress-up. Or butterflies in the back yard. They don't need their crap entombed for all eternity with a diaper genie or so many crappy plastic toys you can't even see the floor.

My mother sewed my clothes and cooked from scratch. She used cloth diapers. She also worked at a legal firm. She also gave us piano lessons and dance lessons. We weren't deprived. Sure I wailed and moaned about not having cool stuff, but I survived just fine.

Even with children you have to get your priorities straight.
    Some knew me as Piper, others as just Diane.
    I hiked the PCT: Mexico to Mt. Shasta, 2008. Santa Barbara to Canada, 2009.

Registered User Prettywoman0172's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    Kids don't need XBoxes. I didn't have one. Kids can do a lot with a stick and a piece of string. Or a box of old clothes to play dress-up. Or butterflies in the back yard. They don't need their crap entombed for all eternity with a diaper genie or so many crappy plastic toys you can't even see the floor.

My mother sewed my clothes and cooked from scratch. She used cloth diapers. She also worked at a legal firm. She also gave us piano lessons and dance lessons. We weren't deprived. Sure I wailed and moaned about not having cool stuff, but I survived just fine.

Even with children you have to get your priorities straight.
    Agree 100%

Stir Fry

My option is to wait untill I retire, Oct. 2013. Starting My thur in Mar. 2014. I quit smooking 7 years ago and save what I was smoking away. $4,000 in the hiking acount now should be another $4,000 by the time I start. Wife will be fine with my retirement, and only a house payment and utilities to pay. Hope I can hike any kind of hike I want when the time comes. I like staying at B&B's and I hope my wife can visit often.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by neighbor dave View Post
    when ya aint got nothin', ya got nothin' to lose, you're invisible, no secrets to conceal, how does it feel?
    and nobody has ever taught you how to live out on the trail and now you're gonna have to get used to it.
    Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit, and as vital to our lives as water and good bread.
    -Edward Abbey

Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++