WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Poll: Do you consider it cheating to call in animals to photograph them?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Default Do you consider it cheating to call in animals to photograph them?

Do you consider it cheating to call in animals to photograph them?

Journal Entries
    Images

nobody posted so far because we are all on the fence here.... It appears we are wondering how nieve you are so we can weight in our answer...

Only because this question (as you posed it) is clearly awkward.

Nothing personal.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    nobody posted so far because we are all on the fence here.... It appears we are wondering how nieve you are so we can weight in our answer...

Only because this question (as you posed it) is clearly awkward.

Nothing personal.
    First of all I only posted it 49 minutes ago, and I really have know Idea what you just said lol.

This is not an awkward question. I saw a thread once on a mountain bike forum, asking which way you hang your toilet paper, with the paper hanging in front or behind. Now that's an awkward question.

I don't carry my phone so I can't make any calls while hiking. I wouldn't even begin to know where to get their numbers anyway.

I got 4 pics in my gallery that show a little lizard eyeing a roach, snatching the roach, placing the roach in his mouth to swallow and finally swallowing.

I picked up the roach and placed on the fence for the lizard, so I guess that was cheating. But I don't have the time to follow a lizard around for hours waiting for him to eat. Maybe if someone paid me...

You really got to admire those professionals that get them really great wildlife shots, but for every shot those guys spent hours, days, weeks...of extreme paitient stalking.

I like to think of it as working smarter not harder... but yeah it's probably cheating

Let me repeat the question in English for everyone. "Do you think its cheating to use a game caller, meaning a thing that makes noise to attract predators. So Do you you think its cheating to use one of those in order to attract a predator to be able to capture of photo of one instead of just hoping to see one without bringing one to you??????

Quote Originally Posted by john gault View Post
    I got 4 pics in my gallery that show a little lizard eyeing a roach, snatching the roach, placing the roach in his mouth to swallow and finally swallowing.

I picked up the roach and placed on the fence for the lizard, so I guess that was cheating. But I don't have the time to follow a lizard around for hours waiting for him to eat. Maybe if someone paid me...

You really got to admire those professionals that get them really great wildlife shots, but for every shot those guys spent hours, days, weeks...of extreme paitient stalking.

I like to think of it as working smarter not harder... but yeah it's probably cheating
    Thank you, somebody that understands the question.

Serial Hiker
    Images

Cheating what?
    No it's not cheating to get a photo. The main issue with luring in animals is disturbing them by overdoing it. I know there are people who are against using bird calling applications (BirdJam, etc.) on iPods for instance to lure a bird in closer to get a good look at it or snap pictures of it. I think it's wrong to annoy the birds excessively, especially during mating season, but if used in a responsible way, go for it. The same can be said for other ways too I guess.

Is it cheating to use animal calls to then shoot them? Certainly not, as it's been done for centuries.

I think this is a badly worded question. Maybe "improper" is a better word than "cheating".
    perrito

684.4 down, 1507.6 to go.

"If a man speaks in the woods, and there is no woman there to hear, is he still wrong?"

Images

Some photographers see staging wildlife photos as cheating. I can see their point. How wild is it if you're interacting with it?

I don't really think it's wrong to stage shots unless you lie about it when asked. Your picture may look great because you moved around some leaves and branches, set out some food or water and made animals calls, but the photographer that can take an equal picture without changing anything is the better (or luckier) photographer.

How long people have been doing it doing make it better either. Does clubbing an animal senseless so you can take a picture of you holding it seem like a true wildlife picture? People have been clubbing animals senseless for thousands of years.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by ATBuddy View Post

Do you consider it cheating to put up a AT trail sign to lure hikers onto the AT to hike there?

Happy trails
    Arise, walk through the land in the length of it and in the breadth of it; for I will give it unto thee. Gen 13:17

It is not cheating.

My best action photos are taken at night with infrared after squirting honey on my buddy's tent when he's asleep. I don't consider that cheating.

Journal Entries
    Images

I think your poll might be better if the word "ethical" were substituted for "cheating". To my way of thinking that puts emphasis on the animal rather than on what makes your photo special.

I am not familiar with calling in game, but have called in owls using a tape recorder. If you hear one in the distance, it is remarkably easy to do. If it were not for my own ethical concerns about stressing these owls, I would probably do it more often. It is very cool to bring one in, but at a minimum I have distracted them from more productive pursuits.

Many birders will pish song birds out of the brush too, but that too can stress them out and is kind of annoying to hear. Probably ethical if its not over done, though (IMO).

I never tried calling in a turkey. Have you done that? What animals have you been successful calling in?

Good luck with your pictures. But as for your question, I don't think it is cheating, and just fine if the animal is not being stressed out. "Cheating" would be getting a close up of the bear that the Trailside Zoo, and correctly labeling the shot at having been taken on the AT with without adding further disclosure. :-)
    Last edited by rickb; 09-22-2010 at 06:49.

Images

Let me repeat the question in English for everyone. "Do you think its cheating to use a game caller, meaning a thing that makes noise to attract predators. So Do you you think its cheating to use one of those in order to attract a predator to be able to capture of photo of one instead of just hoping to see one without bringing one to you??????
    "Let Me Be Clear" One could postulate that in a theoretical world, hypothecially speaking, of couse, that the actions of one are predicated and could be interpeted as abstract in the very nature. "Now my economic team and I..." (ooops wrong series of profound vagueness)

So what was the question?
    .....Someday, like many others who joined WB in the early years, I may dry up and dissapear....

Images

This is not an awkward question. I saw a thread once on a mountain bike forum, asking which way you hang your toilet paper, with the paper hanging in front or behind. Now that's an awkward question.
    Why on Earth would you hang toilet paper off your mountain bike?!?

And just to be morbidly curious, in front or behind WHAT?

Oh, and for the OP - nah. Not unless you are advertising that you spent days, weeks, months in the wild to get the shot and as such, deserve ever so much more so money for your pictures.
    Old Hiker
    AT Hike 2012 - 497 Miles of 2184
    AT Thru Hiker - 29 FEB - 03 OCT 2016 2189.1 miles
    Just because my teeth are showing, does NOT mean I'm smiling.
    Hányszor lennél inkább máshol?

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

It takes more skill, knowledge and patience to be able to get an animal to come to you than it does to take the actual picture, so no issues IMHO. Baiting would be a different story.

Images

Most wildlife shots, that I have seen, appear to be taken at the zoo. So, using a call, if used responsibly, would be ok.

Default "cheating" implies that there are rules

In order to "cheat" there must be rules. There are none for wildlife photography.

I have a lot of wildlife photographs in my home. Some were taken on hikes, some were taken on game drives and one was taken in a zoo. The one taken in a zoo gets the most positive comments.

In photography "success" is determined by the photograph, not by what was done to get it.
    Shutterbug

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++