WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Poll: Do you consider it cheating to call in animals to photograph them?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Images

I rubbed bacon grease on my friends pack to get some sweet shots of a bear

was that wrong???
    If you find yourself in a fair fight; your tactics suck.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Turtle Feet View Post
    OK, don't flame me for this but...

As part of the 'no trace' ethics, it's not acceptable to create a disturbance that would cause an animal to do anything out of it's normal course of activities, ie. getting close enough to a bull moose to get him to look up from his aqua grass to catch that awesome shot.

I enjoy viewing wildlife and I do feel guilty if in the process of photographing or just viewing, I've created that disturbance and they fly, run, or crawl away. That's just me.

I feel like my walking through their world is intrusion enough, I try my best not to interfere. But cheating? Not sure that's what I would call it, more like lacking respect for them.

I'm just sayin' ....

TF
    rules rules rules http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f1e9Matf19k
    If you find yourself in a fair fight; your tactics suck.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by kayak karl View Post
    here hiker, hiker, hiker. here hiker, hiker, hiker. i got a snicker bar.
    Where? Snickers....show me the Snickers!
    "Going to the woods is going home" - John Muir

"Only by going alone in silence, without baggage, can one truely get into the heart of the wilderness" - John Muir

Default Not stuffed

Quote Originally Posted by Alligator View Post
    Well if they are stuffed like in a museum then you aren't calling them anyway. Whoever stuffed that cat did an awesome job. The photo is nice too.
    The mountain lion in the picture was very much alive. The Desert Museum in Tucson has a lot of live desert animals in very realistic displays.

Shutterbug

Quote Originally Posted by Shutterbug View Post
    The mountain lion in the picture was very much alive. The Desert Museum in Tucson has a lot of live desert animals in very realistic displays.
    I was just kiddin' ya. You take nice photos, I like the Rainbow Lake one in particular.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

haha aaron

it's too bad i didn't get a picture of two coyotes twenty feet away from me. don't ask.

As One of only two "others" in this poll, I call it "stupid".
    "Take another road to another place,disappear without a trace..." --Jimmy Buffet

Its not cheating if the animal has a chance to be themselves and act natural. You often see this in National Parks when a buck gores an idiot who turned his back after getting close so his family could take a photo with the friendly wildlife who were just following their nature.

El Sordo
    Images

I'm with Restless, only I didn't vote.
    Dyslexics Untie!

It would only be cheating if you were to call the animal in for the shot and then claim that you did not.

No wait, that's lying.

I guess it would be cheating if you called two animals and told each of them that they were your one and only photo opportunity...

Yes, it's lieing and cheating to photograph animals by calling them in first! How dare you! That's just wrong!

I don't think its cheating, how do you think most wildlife photographers find certain types of animals. they normally use calls to get a reaction either a territorial warning call, or a feeding call. Most TV nature shows have a guy walking around making animal noises tilll he gets an anwering call then they move in to stalk and photograph it. Staging which it is frowned upon in most photograph contests. Is seting up an animal either using trained animals or food type baits to get close up dramatic shots of either natural or exaggerate actions.

Quote Originally Posted by ATBuddy View Post
    Do you consider it cheating to call in animals to photograph them?
    I was reading something about wildlife photos and it reminded me of this thread. Turns out that most of the wildlife photos on things such as calenders are staged at zoos and such. The great shots you see on nature shows even have some staged shots intermixed with actual wildlife shots. And many times there are expeditions that comeback "empty handed". Some animals are tougher than others a good example here in north america is the wolverine, very tough to get a pic of; I read about one expedition whose only shot was of one in which you could barley make it out, looked like a little brown dot on a white field of snow.

So, I wouldn't worry about "cheating" Here's another example of cheating (without the quotation marks) http://www.treehugger.com/files/2010...photo-fake.php

Lesson learned.... A few years ago, four of us were sitting around the campfire in the backyard of our woodsy cabin. Off in the distance we heard an owl's call. We answered with our "who cooks for you?" several times. Here and there over the next half hour we'd respond as we heard it circling our valley.

An hour or so later, we were all just about asleep, lulled by the flames of our dwindling fire. Out of nowhere, that owl gave the loudest "whoo, whoo, wawhoo!" .... from a branch right behind us.... scared the bejeepers out of all of us!!

That was the first and last time I called in any wildlife.

hunters should only be allowed to hunt with a bowie knife
    rabbits,bears,moose, etc... no exceptions :-)
    Last edited by CrumbSnatcher; 09-17-2011 at 00:05.

I'd like to know how you'd lure in wild animals for a pick besides putting out food and waiting....and that's just crazy But if you could lure, take a picture!

You could always get them drunk

Swedish Moose Found Stuck in Tree

STOCKHOLM – A seemingly intoxicated moose has been discovered entangled in an apple tree by a stunned Swede.

Per Johansson says he heard a roar from his vacationing neighbor's garden in southwestern Sweden late Tuesday and went to have a look. There, he found a female moose kicking about in the tree. The animal was likely drunk from eating fermented apples.

With the help of police and rescue services, the 45-year-old Johansson later managed to set the moose free in part by sawing off tree branches.
    But the animal appeared confused and wandered into Johansson's
    garden, where she was still resting Thursday.

Other neighbors in the Goteborg suburb Saro had seen the animal sneaking around the area for days. Johansson said the moose appeared to be sick, drunk or "half-stupid."

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2011/...#ixzz1YDfL9ZuA[/COLOR]
    [/h]

Open the link and you'll see one of the best wildlife photos ever

In this case cheating is against the law. There's also a video on the link http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/sideshow...192317791.html

Marine biologist could get 20 years in prison for feeding whales

A California marine biologist is facing up to 20 years in prison and half a million dollars in fines for allegedly feeding a group of killer whales and then altering footage of the incident and lying to authorities.

In addition to her carrying out maritime research, Nancy Black operates the popular Monterey Bay Whale Watch tours and has been featured on PBS, National Geographic and Animal Planet. But on Wednesday, Black was charged with four violations of the Marine Mammal Protection Act. Black's attorneys say she was only doing scientific research.

If she's convicted, Black could face up to 20 years in prison and half a million dollars in fines. She could also be fined up to $100,000 for each whale feeding charge, which also carries a year in prison sentencing term.

Black is accused of feeding killer whales during a 2005 research trip, which was investigated by the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) and the U.S. Department of Justice. She had previously worked with federal agencies to help study whales, including the National Marine Mammal Laboratory, which is part of NOAA.

Black was asked to provide video of the October 2005 trip, and authorities say they believe she edited the video illegally. "She was out whale-watching with a full complement of passengers and spotted a humpback whale. It was a friendly whale, which loves to come up close to a boat and breach and frolic," said Black's attorney Lawrence Biegel. "There's video of this, which she turned over, of this whale doing exactly that, literally going from one side of the boat to another."
    Biegel says the killer whales were feeding off of gray whale blubber already in the ocean and that Black did not feed them.

"In the specific incident in question, Ms. Black used an underwater camera and filmed the eating habits of killer whales who were feeding off free floating pieces of blubber from a gray whale that had been killed by a pack of killer whales," Biegel said.

"She was never hiding what she did or how she did it. In fact, she was acting with the knowledge of other marine mammal scientists, some of whom work for agencies of the federal government," he said. Biegel said Black had a permit granted by the federal government to conduct the research.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++