WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Replacement for Nalgene water bottle?....

Trying to trim some ounces...I like the durability, but think I can save a few ounces here....is there a good, durable, lightweight water bottle. I also like have one with a squirt spout instead of lips on the lid....

Journal Entries

Recycle a 1 liter/1 quart sized Gatorade bottle. I find them to be functional, durable, and light.

Images

Might also consider a bladder with a squirt-top lid. As you drink, you also gain space in the pack. (Of course, you fill it right back up.....)

Garlic
    Images

Gatorade bottles are fine and plentiful. Don't worry about durability because you can find replacements at nearly every road crossing and parking lot. The wider mouth is good too.

Not sure why you want a squirt spout. If it's for a make-shift shower, you can carry an extra lid with small holes drilled in it.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

Default No, will plan to be out for 9 days without resupply...and

Quote Originally Posted by garlic08 View Post
    Gatorade bottles are fine and plentiful. Don't worry about durability because you can find replacements at nearly every road crossing and parking lot. The wider mouth is good too.

Not sure why you want a squirt spout. If it's for a make-shift shower, you can carry an extra lid with small holes drilled in it.

I try to keep the lid of the water bottle cleaner and don't want lips to touch so opten...

Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Wildman View Post
    DITTO. Hands down the best option for a water container, nothing else comes close. Carry an extra 2 liter Platy for camp, folds down to take up no space in your pack while on the trail. Nalgenes are heavy and Gator Aid bottles are clunky and heavier. No brainer really.
    "If you don't know where you're going...any road will get you there."
    "He who's not busy living is busy dying"

Images

I use quart Aquafina water bottles as they are slimmer than Gatorade bottles and slide into the side pockets of my $30 Walmart pack easier.

I try to keep the lid of the water bottle cleaner and don't want lips to touch so opten...
    When using iodine or bleach for water purification leave the bottle cap on loose and let the solution leak around the threads. I also manually wipe down the threads and inside the bottle cap, a form of mechanical decontamination.

The Platypus Soft Bottle is great for carrying extra water at the end of the day or to get through dry sections of trail. Rolls up small until needed and weighs very little.
    Appalachian Trail Online Course
    http://at-trail.blogspot.com
    Information and resources for the A.T. hiker

Follow @section_hiking on Twitter
    http://Twitter.com/Section_Hiking

Yep, Gatorade bottles are fine. Check out the 1.5 liter Smart Water bottles- nice, tall, durable, and small diameter to fit your outer pack pocket better.

I also carry a platy with a hydration tube inside the top of my pack for convenience.

Images

Gatoraide 24 oz bottles have a squeeze top.

^ From my experience, they are not that durable though and would honestly be scared bringing that hiking with me. I swapped my Nalgene bottles out for Gatorade bottles about a year ago and am very happy with the results (fyi the gatorade bottles are DEFINITELY lighter, no matter what anyone says).

One recommendation, if you do decide to go with gatorade bottles, make sure you do not buy ones with clear plastic tops as they become very easy to lose. Personally, I use 2 bottles w/ orange tops w/ one extra cap in my FAK for that 'just in case' accident.
    Smile, Smile, Smile.... Mile after Mile

Images

Smart Water Bottles work great also
    Conquest: It is not the Mountain we conquer but Ourselves

To add to my post, if you want a simple way to not lose your cap while on the trail. Tie a small piece of rope around the neck of the bottle, drill a hole into the top of the lid, put the rope through and tie a knot on the underside. Now your lids permanently attached! You may have to put some silicone on the lid though where you drill to prevent water from leaking. Have not done this before but have thought about doing it many times.

Or you could just keep an extra lid with you! haha
    Smile, Smile, Smile.... Mile after Mile

An idea I have been working on or at least thinking about for some time is to carry two wide mouthed and not too tall metal cannisters with sealable lids that can double as both water carriers and cook pots/mugs. Ideally about 700-1000ml each. So far the wide mouthed jobbies on the market are not quite there yet, but are getting there. I've tried retrofitting sealable lids to large aluminum beer cans but haven't gotten it done yet.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by JAK View Post
    An idea I have been working on or at least thinking about for some time is to carry two wide mouthed and not too tall metal cannisters with sealable lids that can double as both water carriers and cook pots/mugs. Ideally about 700-1000ml each. So far the wide mouthed jobbies on the market are not quite there yet, but are getting there. I've tried retrofitting sealable lids to large aluminum beer cans but haven't gotten it done yet.
    You mean like this:

This is how it looks alongside the 1 Liter bottle I usually carry:

Skids

Insanity: Asking about inseams over and over again and expecting different results.
    Albert Einstein, (attributed)

Images

I just carry 1 liter water bottles since they fit nicely into the pack pockets and only weigh 1 oz or so. I usually wrap 1 layer of duct tape around the middle to keep them from splitting if I drop it, plus you never know when you might need some duct tape!

Cerveza - AT 2010; PCT 2011 StormBird's Avatar

I swear by the 1 liter Vitamin water bottles. I like that it's not as fat as the Gatorade bottle and can slide into my side pockets but it still has a wide drinking mouth.
    Trail Name: Cerveza

Quote Originally Posted by nawlunz View Post
    Trying to trim some ounces...I like the durability, but think I can save a few ounces here....is there a good, durable, lightweight water bottle. I also like have one with a squirt spout instead of lips on the lid....

I use Two 20oz Gatorade Bottles attached to my Shoulder Straps with Zpacks.com Shoulder Pouches and Two 1 liter Platypus Collapsible Bottles. Whole thing weighs in at 4oz.

Had one blow out with the bladder system, SUCKS, and have been on trips where others developed leaks and had to share water.

The whole eggs in one basket saying applies her for me.
    "May the Road Rise to Meet You"- The Wolfe Tones

I use the widemouth 1L Nalgene Cantene with my steripen and a widemouth 1.5L Nalgene Cantene and or gatoraid bottle.

Platy's are great and durable, but I was never a fan of the narrow top.

I like pepsi or coke bottles myself. The smaller opening allows for easier access for water from small seeps, streams. They are making them lighter than ever anymore. Years ago, (1989) my friend did the whole AT with only one. Now, i think it would break somewhere along the line but easy (and fun) to replace.
    Personally, I would hike with an old fashioned wide mouth nalgene until after the Smokies.
    I say this because I sleep cold and like to fill it up with boiling water, put a sock over it and throw it in my sleeping bag with me overnight and I just don't trust the coke bottles enough to try it on a cold night.
    After Hot Springs, not necessary unless you are out there in March or before.
    I really don't see why people even bother paying money for a water bottle when the best ones known to man are free and don't leak (and the store bought ones often do)
    just my 2 cents.
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++