WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Registered User Different Socks's Avatar
    Images

Default Another question on dehydrating....

For those of you that have a Harvest Maid machine, what's the easiest method to remove the small items from the mesh screens? Anyone that had a brain storm idea? I find that when removing peas, corn, beans, that I have to do 1/2 the pile by hand, then carefully pick up the-screen and pour the reaminder into a baggy or container. How do you do it?

pretty much the same way. if you come up with something better, please let me know!

Cooking in the Backcountry LaurieAnn's Avatar
    Images

I lay a piece of parchment paper, paper towelling or clean tea towel on the table and invert the tray over top of it. Then I pick up the paper or towelling and let it sag in the middle creating a channel. I can simply pour the ingredients into the ziplock then. I do this for most things... makes life a bit easier. Picking the little pieces up by hand would be too time consuming with all the drying I do.

Registered User Different Socks's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by LaurieAnn View Post
    I lay a piece of parchment paper, paper towelling or clean tea towel on the table and invert the tray over top of it. Then I pick up the paper or towelling and let it sag in the middle creating a channel. I can simply pour the ingredients into the ziplock then. I do this for most things... makes life a bit easier. Picking the little pieces up by hand would be too time consuming with all the drying I do.

Awesome idea!! Thanks.

Images

I actually learned that from my Dad. He was a chef for the railways. When he was measuring flour for things he'd dump it on a piece of parchment paper and weigh it. Then he'd let it sag as he lifted it and pour the flour into his mixer. It kept things nice and neat and Mom didn't complain about flour everywhere... lol.

I bought one of those huge aluminum throw-away cooking pans like for a turkey or something big. I just shake the dehydrater rack over it and it catches all. then I pour through one of the corners.

Images

That's a good idea... I have a lasagne pan that would work perfectly for that! Thanks.

My trays fit nicely into a large stainless mixing bowl that I have. I tend to make mainly dinners and once in a while a lunch size. I weigh these off on my kitchen scale which has a square bowl and they go into either ziplocks or vacuum bags.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

++ New Posts ++