WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    You can't help but notice it.... My dad hikes with a Jack Russel and I hike with a black Lab mix. even when we are walking around the farmer's market the result is the same. Due to the fear of big dogs IE. Pit Bull drive by news teams in cities, there is a resumed fear of all dogs that are large 60 pounds or more. Adult behavior fairs worse sometimes than kids, It kind of mirrors the frequent posts about bears and other large animals on the AT and for those of us that have been there, we are immune to that overreaction. As I enjoy hiking alone instead of a with a group - I am glad I don't have to DEAL with immature adult over-reactions.... Well how would you describe some people? I have had small dogs and cats all my life. Three years ago I put my foot down and said I would be responsible for a 70 lbs Lab. Sometimes people are unbelievably awkward.

What do you do to address poor Tenderfoot behavior?

Personally I kill them with kindness and talk quietly about hiking as if the dog wasn't there ... sometimes it doesn't work. I am look here for good suggestions.

if you haven't read the forum rules -

As the Brits say "piss off" before posting. I have a well trained dog.

Leashed
    Now that you made a point of it I do think that people have a general fear of large dogs. My dog, Sally, is about of medium build with good markings and lean, about 50 lbs. We really never meet serious trouble on or off of trail, she is about the most loved dog in town here and when we are hiking most hikers that she encounters like her right from the gate........

Lone Wolf's in down right in love with her........

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Baggins View Post
    Had an incident this weekend - on Sunday. 5 of us ladies were coming nobo on the AT nearing Keys Gap. The lady in front of suddenly screamed and jumped and I saw something huge flying at us, so of course I screamed and jumped back as well. Turned out to be very big golden retriever charging down the trail at us. He was not angry - just waaaay too exuberant. Turned out there were 2 of them. The owners glared at us for our reaction and said "oh they're just young and we're trying to train them to come back when called" - NOT ON THE TRAIL!!!!!! They had leashes and hooked them on the dogs but they clearly resented our reactions and didn't want to leash the animals. THIS is why I despise dogs and their owners on the trail - the owners that will NOT keep them leashed because they don't believe their dogs are a problem. I'm betting as soon as we passed by, those leashes came off again.
    So two happy, excited dogs are a nuisance? Did they act aggressively? Did they jump on you? Or is it just the presence of dogs you don't know being around you, and the idea that a Golden Retriever may attack you?

Just re-read your post and saw that you wrote the dogs were not aggressive. That is what I don't understand, the dogs probably didn't even acknowledge you. If they did, being Golden's, I'm sure it was with a wagging tail. Perhaps they were so exuberant they clumsily bumped into you?

My dog is usually off the leash and, being slightly timid, actually avoids other hikers; despite hiking about 15 feet ahead of me. He will take a wide arch, slightly off the trail even, and calmly walks on by. But yet I still seem to get glares of angst. What's the big deal?

Journal Entries
    Images

Well Dan thats the pysc I am talking about - some people flip out, run backwards, pick up their poodle (what a wrong thing to do!), glare at you, put their arms out...and other stupid stuff. And "Hi how are you? isn't making much of a difference. I have noticed some ethic groups are even more fearful from watching media that dog attacks are on the rise. One wonders if they cannot handle a dog what happens when they run into a wild animal?
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Well Dan thats the pysc I am talking about - some people flip out, run backwards, pick up their poodle (what a wrong thing to do!), glare at you, put their arms out...and other stupid stuff. And "Hi how are you? isn't making much of a difference. I have noticed some ethic groups are even more fearful from watching media that dog attacks are on the rise. One wonders if they cannot handle a dog what happens when they run into a wild animal?
    I know exactly what you're talking about. Those people are ridiculous. Ran into one yesterday actually. In my neighborhood there's a pond I take my Chocolate Lab as he naturally loves water retrieval. It was a Monday, around noon (no children or people around anywhere). The pond is about 100 yards from the road and sidewalk where this woman was walking her Bichon Frise. All of sudden I hear her yelling:
    Woman- Excuse me! Is that dog on a leash!?
    Me- No, he's swimming.
    Woman- Well he needs to be on a leash so I can walk over there.
    Me- You can walk over, he's not going to to anything.
    Woman- He needs to be on a leash!

Not wanting to make a big deal about it I ignore her, and walk back to my house with my dog by my side to get a leash. As I pass by her, 50 yards away, she picks up her dog and turns her back to me and yells again, "put him on a leash!". I had to ignore the woman to keep myself from going off on her. As I'm walking away I she didn't even go near the pond. She was worried about me and my dog minding our business, a hundred yards away from her and her dog. Get real.

Another story, took my dog to the beach to swim around 3pm. Granted, dogs are not legally allowed on the beach until 5pm, which I was aware of. But, regardless I stupidly decided to go anyway. Jacksonville Beach can be a busy place, so I usually take him about half a mile away from the pier and crowds. Again, there was literally not a sole around. The closest people were maybe 500 yards away. That is, until the animal police saw me. Ended up with a $50 fine. I understand the legality of it. I was at the beach with my dog two hours before dogs are allowed. But at the same time, I wish more people would step back and recognize that I'm doing no harm to anything or anyone in anyway. The only person making a big deal about the situation is the animal police officer. Some people just need to relax.

Thanks for allowing me to rant.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by DBRIGGS9 View Post
    Thanks for allowing me to rant.
    Your welcome - good posts.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by rusane View Post
    Oh no!!! That dog isn't leashed! Run away!! Run away!!!
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Journal Entries
    Images

Nuts huh? wait - I plan to get a sholder HD video cam... The utubes will be wonderful.

Woo

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

To misrepresent Samuel Langhorne Clemens:

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the hikes you didn't take your dog on that the ones you did.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Journal Entries
    Images

You arn't misrepresenting him - he was way out there.... recently his Autobiography is being remastered and ready for release for the first time.

Woo

Journal Entries
    Images

Hey where are you doggie lovers - this thread is old!

Woo

I hike a trail near home that is used by many horseback riders and joggers. There is nobody on the trail more worried about dogs than mounted riders. And their fears are well warrented since a spooked horse is very dangerous.
    When I see a rider or jogger comming the other way I call my dog to "heal" and have her "sit" or "down" on the edge of the trail to allow the other person to pass. If it's a rider I will usually use a "down" and sometimes position the dog facing away from the horse to emphasize a non-threatening posture. For joggers, a simple "sit" is enough to show they are safe to run past.
    In escense, I am demonstrating that my dog is under control and the other party is free to safely go about their business. I am usually greated with a "thank you" or "nice dog!".
    I don't worry if they are afraid or not. They have every right and opportunity to avoid my dog without being harrassed, pestered, or barked at. Their fears are not my problem as long as I(we) have acted responsibly.

On the contrary, I am more concerned with PROTECTING MY DOG from foolish, clueless people. I have very often "healed" my dog, off leash, around another with the owner desperately struggling to restrain their unrulely dog.
    I have sometimes made the excuse "she's not feeling well today" to avoid letting overexcited children pet her. I have told people she is on a "special diet" to stop them from shoving treats in her face. That just promotes begging, and who knows what people will try to give the dog?

My answer to meeting people on the trail is the same as on the street. I will PROVE my dog is well mannered, well trained, and under control. Everyone hates an unruley dog, everyone loves a well mannered dog. If you don't like my dog, you're free to move on. I(we) will not interfere with you, and you will NOT touch, feed, reprimand, scold, kick, or otherwise handle my dog without my permission...thank you!
    If my dog is not beside me, it's my problem. If me dog is beside me, leashed or not, your fear is your problem.
    Of coarse all this is under the condition that the dog is TRAINED, TRAINED, TRAINED! It's my belief that a properly, reliably trained dog is the answer. Trained is trained, on the street or on the trail.
    I think it's our responsibility as dog owners to ensure our dogs are trained before hitting the trail. If they are, then we wouldn't have to listen to all the crap and we wouldn't need these threads. Make your dog a good ambassidor, happy hiking!

Not committing until I graduate! Sassafras Lass's Avatar
    Images

You nailed it this is what I am trying to avoid as that "talk" sucks and this is why I started the thread..

Intoduce the person to the dog.. saying the dogs name...I like that!

I participate almost daily on Y! Answers - Dog Section, and here is what I suggested to another large breed owner to alleviate fear in strangers (this lady in particular had rottweilers).

I told her to teach her dog to "wave" at people - how many people can pass up a dog that is waving at them? It's just a simple targeting behavior (more like shaping the natural begging that dogs will do).
    Formerly 'F-Stop'

If you don't like the road you're walking, start paving another one.

~ Dolly Parton

Journal Entries
    Images

Hey he kind of does that already, yea I can get him to do that.

Woo

Here's my Chocolate Lab, taking in the view.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++