WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Default Know any good hikes around Asheville, NC?

I'm looking to find some good day hikes around Asheville, do you have any suggestions?
    HABAKKUK 3:19
    Yaweh my Lord is my strength; He makes my feet like those of a deer and enables me to walk on mountain heights!

Registered User Tennessee Viking's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

You are in a prime hiking region for Asheville. You have multiple possibilities for the AT; Erwin, Sams Gap, Hot Springs, Max Patch, and the Smokies. Then bit longer to the Nantalhalas and Roan area. Linville Gorge. You have the Mountains to Sea Trail along the parkway. You have the Art Loeb from Brevard to Waynesville. Mt Mitchell, South Mountain, Gorges State Park.
    Last edited by Tennessee Viking; 10-10-2010 at 00:46.
    ''Tennessee Viking'
    Mountains to Sea Trail Hiker & Maintainer
    Former TEHCC (AT) Maintainer

Quote Originally Posted by sidebackside View Post
    I'm looking to find some good day hikes around Asheville, do you have any suggestions?
    Day hikes around Asheville NC ? Are you kidding? Books are written about hiking around Asheville! It's not too hard to do a little research yourself by doing a quick SEARCH by typing in the 8 letters: hiking nc. You'll find the info you desire.

Images

You should check out the Biltmore Estate too.
    Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit, and as vital to our lives as water and good bread.
    -Edward Abbey

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    Day hikes around Asheville NC ? Are you kidding? Books are written about hiking around Asheville! It's not too hard to do a little research yourself by doing a quick SEARCH by typing in the 8 letters: hiking nc. You'll find the info you desire.
    Dogwood I hear ya on doing research myself, in fact though, I've done some. My question was for "suggestions". I guess I should've asked "what would you recommend?"

Quote Originally Posted by Luddite View Post
    You should check out the Biltmore Estate too.
    Luddite I have been to the Biltmore Estate. You're right, it's awesome!
    Yaweh my Lord is my strength; He makes my feet like those of a deer and enables me to walk on mountain heights!

There really are so many possible hikes around Asheville and when you start considering day hikes the choices are endless. Besides what Tennessee Viking has mentioned anything near or off the Blue ridge Pkwy would be good, as well as the loop around and up to Chimney Top in Chimney Top SP. Linville Gorge is nice. Nanthala is good. The AT is good. Mt Mitchell is good and you can take in the fall scenery along the Blue Ridge PKWY at the same time etc etc etc

Images

There really are so many possible hikes around Asheville and when you start considering day hikes the choices are endless. Besides what Tennessee Viking has mentioned anything near or off the Blue ridge Pkwy would be good, as well as the loop around and up to Chimney Top in Chimney Top SP. Linville Gorge is nice. Nanthala is good. The AT is good. Mt Mitchell is good and you can take in the fall scenery along the Blue Ridge PKWY at the same time etc etc etc
    You're right, there are so many options. I guess that's the problem..or rather, the reason for not being able to make a decision. Have you personally hiked any of those trails? I'm looking for something within 15-20min of Asheville.

You're right, there are so many options. I guess that's the problem..or rather, the reason for not being able to make a decision. Have you personally hiked any of those trails? I'm looking for something within 15-20min of Asheville.
    Yes. I've done all the hikes mentioned so far other than the entire Art Loeb and MTS trail. I've only done sections of those two trails. I have done the Art Loeb Tr from the Blue Ridge Pkwy to Shining Rock, about 10 mile RT. Nice Fall foliage hike.

As long as it's not a weekend day hike you desire or you don't mind sharing the trail with others I think the Chimney Tops Loop in Chimney Tops SP or Linville Gorge would make great day hikes. Both places can get crowded on weekends though.

If you have access to a vehicle you could also do several short hikes over the course of one day too. Don't discount that worthy idea out! The Blue Ridge Pkwy in the Fall would be ideal for this type of scenario. For example, for a FULL day of hiking in multiple locations off the BRP you could summit Mt Pisgah(good view!) and/or hike to the Frying Pan Lookout Tower. These are both short RT hikes, 3 and/or 7 miles respectively. You could add to that the short(less than 2 miles if I remember right) but scenic hike through the Rhododendrons on the Craggy Garden Trail. And, for a longer quad busting Great Fall foliage hike, you could hike by itsellf or add to other short day hikes, you might consider summiting Mt. Mitchell and from the observation platform take the Deep Gap Tr over several other high peaks.

Yes. I've done all the hikes mentioned so far other than the entire Art Loeb and MTS trail. I've only done sections of those two trails. I have done the Art Loeb Tr from the Blue Ridge Pkwy to Shining Rock, about 10 mile RT. Nice Fall foliage hike.

As long as it's not a weekend day hike you desire or you don't mind sharing the trail with others I think the Chimney Tops Loop in Chimney Tops SP or Linville Gorge would make great day hikes. Both places can get crowded on weekends though.

If you have access to a vehicle you could also do several short hikes over the course of one day too. Don't discount that worthy idea out! The Blue Ridge Pkwy in the Fall would be ideal for this type of scenario. For example, for a FULL day of hiking in multiple locations off the BRP you could summit Mt Pisgah(good view!) and/or hike to the Frying Pan Lookout Tower. These are both short RT hikes, 3 and/or 7 miles respectively. You could add to that the short(less than 2 miles if I remember right) but scenic hike through the Rhododendrons on the Craggy Garden Trail. And, for a longer quad busting Great Fall foliage hike, you could hike by itsellf or add to other short day hikes, you might consider summiting Mt. Mitchell and from the observation platform take the Deep Gap Tr over several other high peaks.

Try this site Sidebackside - www.romanticasheville.com/hiking

Images

Try this site Sidebackside - www.romanticasheville.com/hiking
    Thanks Dogwood!

Registered User Tennessee Viking's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Here is a link to a basic map of Pisgah areas.
    http://www.cs.unca.edu/nfsnc/recreat...pisgah_map.pdf

The Mountain to Sea Trail runs right through Asheville following the Parkway. My favorite sections around Asheville are the Black Balsams/Graveyard Fields area, Craggy Gardens, and Mt Mitchell. There is the Bent Creek area just outside of town. I heard of some trails around the Green River Gorge area

There is Big Ivy Rec Area around Barnardsville/Dillingham area. There you hit Douglas Falls and connect to the MST/parkway @ Craggy Gardens.

Black Mountain Crest Trail in Burnsville.

Laura River Trail @ the intersection of US70/25 & NC 208 is a nice 3 mile trail along the river. River cascades and ruins of an old logging camp. Biking accessible

If you bike, there is the Point Lookout Trail around Old Fort.
    Last edited by Tennessee Viking; 10-11-2010 at 11:10.
    ''Tennessee Viking'
    Mountains to Sea Trail Hiker & Maintainer
    Former TEHCC (AT) Maintainer

Images

If you don't mind a lot of people, Shining rock will not disappoint....should be close to peak colors this weekend too

So many great suggestions, and still there are more. I live in Asheville and can't imagine a better area for hiking. If you like waterfalls then don't skip out on Dupont State Forest near Brevard, for 360 views check out Max Patch or Black Balsam, for height head to Mitchell, for history do a walking tour of the Cradle of Forestry, and for straight up convenience drive a short way to the NC Arboretum/Bent Creek or the Folk Art Center. I can give details on any or all of these if you want more info. You will LOVE the area. Enjoy!

Yeah, for a closer to suburbia type hike a fall hike through and around the Arboretum can be nice. In the middle of your hike you could stop in at the Arboretum's cafeteria for lunch!

if you mind lots of people go a bit west (i think) from shining rock and do big east fork wilderness. green ridge (or green knob) is nice and empty.

roan highlands are sick

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Thunder View Post
    if you mind lots of people go a bit west (i think) from shining rock and do big east fork wilderness. green ridge (or green knob) is nice and empty.

roan highlands are sick
    I don't think there is such thing as Big East Fork Wilderness (unless there is some new tract that I'm unaware of). The Big East Fork (river) is in the Shining Rock Wilderness. Directly to the west of Shining Rock is the Middle Prong Wilderness.

i think i got my signals crossed. you might be right about it being called middle prong.

++ New Posts ++