WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default GSMP: water and bears

Hello:

We are headed out to the Smokies, reservations made, etc, beginning our hike on Sunday.

We're looking for any water conditions that might be troublesome and helpful to be aware of and are wondering if there is bear activity significant enough to warrant "bear spray" (recommended by a buddy). Seems like overkill to me, but the Smokies are not a stretch we've hiked yet and I don't want our last thoughts to be "guess, I should have bought the spray...crunch, crunch, crunch..."

Images

no need for bear spray, Issues with black bears in the smokes are rare, unless you feed them or leave your food laying around. Not sure on the water situation, hasn't really rained here lately, and we are in a drought

Quote Originally Posted by gumball View Post
    Hello:

We are headed out to the Smokies, reservations made, etc, beginning our hike on Sunday.

We're looking for any water conditions that might be troublesome and helpful to be aware of and are wondering if there is bear activity significant enough to warrant "bear spray" (recommended by a buddy). Seems like overkill to me, but the Smokies are not a stretch we've hiked yet and I don't want our last thoughts to be "guess, I should have bought the spray...crunch, crunch, crunch..."
    Bear spray is never warranted anywhere on the AT.
    "If you don't know where you're going...any road will get you there."
    "He who's not busy living is busy dying"

Images

Quote Originally Posted by gumball View Post
    Hello:

No need for the bear spray. There has been a pesky little bear hanging around Cosby knob shelter, but he's small and you can take him. If you are heading NOBO, then make sure you bring plenty of water. There are hardly any options for the first 15 or 16 miles. I hiked the park back in late august and was thankful for a good thunderstorm which allowed me to collect water off the roof at Mollies Ridge. I didn't need water at Russell field shelter but it was running decently at Spence Field. The rest of the trip, the water was fine and I suspect you shouldn't have any problems either.
    Soli Deo Gloria

Journal Entries
    Images

I just returned from the NF Gap - NOC section and water is good except for Stecoah Gap between Brown Fork & Sassafras Shelters if your venturing out of the Smokies South. Also I saw lots of bear scat but no bears.
    Take Time to Watch the Trees Dance with The Wind........Then Join In........

We are most grateful for your responses. Thanks everyone!

Registered User Transient Being's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by wornoutboots View Post
    I just returned from the NF Gap - NOC section and water is good except for Stecoah Gap between Brown Fork & Sassafras Shelters if your venturing out of the Smokies South. Also I saw lots of bear scat but no bears.
    So there was water in the southern portion of the GSMNP? Can you give any locations?

++ New Posts ++