WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    GAME 2000
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by GolfHiker
    I too am researching Sealskinz, and find these posts most helpful.. My real concern is having warm feet in camp and in my bag on winter hikes.. Feet get cold, sleeping is hard. So my question is about warmth. I have not read anyone commenting on Fleece socks for warmth... I read a little about 200 polar fleece socks, which seem like a good possibility. Any thoughts? thanks.
    For sleeping, I usually use liner sock, plastic bag and then fleece sock. This is pretty warm and you can layer as necessary. I have used the Sealskinz to sleep in and they are also warm, I would guess they are equivalent to the sock, plastic bag and fleece sock combo. Thick means warmth, a vapor barrier helps alot and SealSkinz are just reduced efficiency vapor barriers. Beware of sleeping ONLY in hiking socks that have thick and thin parts (like thick heels and toes)... the thin parts are lacking in insulation and result in cold feet when sleeping.

Youngblood

Default Warm tootsies in camp

I've heard many more kudos for down booties than any sort of socks. So far, I've not felt the need.

Images

Mainly I don't hike with these on because they produce too much sweating. I do use them when creek crossing in winter and not for long distances. I will wear them in camp over some liner socks if it really wet. If it is really cold in camp, I wear some Wigwam wool socks under them. I have never worn them to bed.
    SGT Rock
    http://hikinghq.net

My 2008 Trail Journal of the BMT/AT

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide
    -----------------------------------------

NO SNIVELING

Images

Talking Sealskinz

I too am researching Sealskinz, and find these posts most helpful.. My real concern is having warm feet in camp and in my bag on winter hikes.. Feet get cold, sleeping is hard. So my question is about warmth. I have not read anyone commenting on Fleece socks for warmth... I read a little about 200 polar fleece socks, which seem like a good possibility. Any thoughts? thanks.
    I used Sealskinz this past weekend and they do keep your feet dry but not warm from the snow. I do recommend them, I used a wool sock, sealskinz and a toasty toes in my regular leather boots and did great in 6 hours of snow.
    I use down booties to sleep in which is great if you have cold feet.
    I bought my sealskinz at the Outfitters in Hot Springs but you should be able to find them online www.danalco.com
    Going out today and my sealskinz are going to, thar's sno in them thar hills!
    TN Bandit
    SMHC
    Localhikes.com

American Idiot
    Images

Good point, down booties are worth their weight in gold while winter camping. Mucking about in thick socks and overboots is a slippery proposition
    How many more of our soldiers must die in Iraq?

Great. Now that I have successfully turned this post into a forum on warmth, forgetting Sealskinz, I'm very interested in down booties. Pencil Pusher & others, do you have a favorite brand.... I'm assuming these compress down to nothing. I did see some MH Down Booties @ REI, but they had a rubber sole, which has advantages, but also disadvantages. Thanks for replies..
    "How can something this hard be so much fun".

Great. Now that I have successfully turned this post into a forum on warmth, forgetting Sealskinz, I'm very interested in down booties. Pencil Pusher & others, do you have a favorite brand.... I'm assuming these compress down to nothing. I did see some MH Down Booties @ REI, but they had a rubber sole, which has advantages, but also disadvantages. Thanks for replies..
    It's nice to have booties that you can at least go out of your shelter with, so a solid sole is a good idea IMO.

Default Down Booties

It's nice to have booties that you can at least go out of your shelter with, so a solid sole is a good idea IMO.

It's nice to have, but I wonder how much do they weight? What is the actual warmth given compared to a setup such as a sealskin sock, wool sock and a VLB over the foot. All three of this setup can be used at any time of the day depending on the weather and trail conditions. However, the Booties, while they might be nice, they can only be worn on dry, cold nights. If there is mud from the night before, then even using them to sleep in your bag is going to take some time to clean them off, unless you also bring crocks to wear as well.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++