WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Mora Knives

Default Mora Knives

A while back I picked up one of the Classic Mora knives to carry with me backpacking. The knife is a really nice knife as well as light weight. Then I saw the Mora Clipper 840 and thought I wouldn't mind trying it out too (Thanks Jason Klass... ) So, on a recent trip I stopped in at a knife store and found one. It too is a sweet knife. I believe that I have found the backpacking knife for me.

Here is an initial review I posted on the knife:

http://stick13.wordpress.com/2010/10...a-clipper-840/

Images

why is it a "classic" knife?

Panzer

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Panzer1 View Post
    why is it a "classic" knife?

Panzer
    because stick thinks so......

El Sordo
    Images

perhaps you noticed that he capitalized the word classic. as in that's the style or name of the knife. sort of the same way he capitalized Clipper.
    Dyslexics Untie!

Quote Originally Posted by STICK View Post
    A while back I picked up one of the Classic Mora knives to carry with me backpacking. The knife is a really nice knife as well as light weight. Then I saw the Mora Clipper 840 and thought I wouldn't mind trying it out too (Thanks Jason Klass... ) So, on a recent trip I stopped in at a knife store and found one. It too is a sweet knife. I believe that I have found the backpacking knife for me.

Here is an initial review I posted on the knife:

http://stick13.wordpress.com/2010/10...a-clipper-840/
    They are really good knives, I use mine to baton wood, ect. They are actually the bushcraft knife of choice. I haven't treated mine gently, but it is in great shape. With that said, you want to carry a folder too, a small pocketknife. I only carried the pocketknife on my thru, as you don't need the larger blade.

Default Mora knives

Ray Jardine has a kit available that includes a Mora blade and pieces of wood with which you make your own handle. Jardine also sells a leather sheath kit. Check out www.rayjardine.com.

generoll, that is correct. Classic is part of the name for the knife. I would assume that this name was given partly because it is a knife that has been around for a long time as well as the simple design. Classic.

Anyway, here is an insert from the description of the knife, which verifies what I already said:

The Frosts Traditional "Mora Series" Knife is a classic - recognized the world over for its strength, durability and craftsmanship. This is a very popular survival and outdoor knife. The Morakniv™ Classic 1 has a 4 inch (99 mm) Carbon blade length and 8 inch (200 mm) overall length. The tradition can be explained by the knives - with their classic red wooden handle, they are pleasant to work with and have just the right feel. Features Traditional Red Birchwood Handle, Carbon Steel Blade, Black Plastic Sheathe.
    This is quoted from this site:

http://www.swedishknives.com/morakniv.htm

Trailbender, I have a Gerber Paraframe folding knife that I have been carrying for a few months. Even though I picked the Mora knife up before my last triip, I still carried my Gerber too. Actually, I wanted to attach the Mora to my pack strap, but I don't believe that it will work out. The Mora knife is 8.5 inches long which makes it a little hard to attach it too my pack strap.

lbbrown, thanks for the link. I will have to look into that.

Check into "forcing" a patina on the blade. I used vinegar for my Mora Carbon Clipper- soaked the blade in a cup of vinegar for 20 minutes. Not a speck of corrosion after 1 year.

Thanks for the tip on the vinegar. I had read that you can stab a potato and let it sit in the potato for a while, as well as using mustard to force a patina. I will probably try one of these methods, but first I want to try and have the small rust spots polished out first.

Quote Originally Posted by lbbrown View Post
    Ray Jardine has a kit available that includes a Mora blade and pieces of wood with which you make your own handle. Jardine also sells a leather sheath kit. Check out www.rayjardine.com.
    I noticed that Cody Lundin guy carries one around his neck on that Dual Survival show.

The Mora knives are great camping knives. Crazy cheap at around $10 to $20 but built solid. The only thing you got to watch is rust on some models. If I get one I might try Mr. Dribbles vingar trick.

Yea, the carbon steel will rust pretty fast from what I understand. But Mora also uses other types of steel also on some of their knives. The Mora Clipper is also offered in a stainless steel blade. The SS blades are the Mora Clipper 860's and the CS blades are the 840's.

Quote Originally Posted by mr. dribbles View Post
    Check into "forcing" a patina on the blade. I used vinegar for my Mora Carbon Clipper- soaked the blade in a cup of vinegar for 20 minutes. Not a speck of corrosion after 1 year.
    I did the same thing with similar results a couple of years ago. I soaked the blade after I cleaned the coffee maker with white vinegar.

Images

Both of those knives are a good balance between function, weight and cost. If you break it or lose it, it would be easy on the pocket book. You could buy 3-4 Mora's for the price of one of the Big Brands, which would be hard to find in that weight range.

SMSP

Images

i've been using my mora for 4 years now. no worries yet
    " It's what people know about themselves inside that makes 'em afraid." ~Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter

The knives are a great value. Check the length of the tangs. I wouldn't baton the knives with the shorter tangs, but for 12 bucks I'll use it well and not shed a tear if it breaks.

Quote Originally Posted by mr. dribbles View Post
    The knives are a great value. Check the length of the tangs. I wouldn't baton the knives with the shorter tangs, but for 12 bucks I'll use it well and not shed a tear if it breaks.
    I batoned with mine for years with no issues.

Mr.Dribbles, thanks for the link. From what I understood I thought the Moras were all at least 3/4 length tangs if not full. I don't see myself needing to do much batoning, but was looking forward to being able to use these successfully if needed to do so. I will have to take them out and try it out here at home sometime. But I am like you, at $12 they cannot be beat...

Looking through that link, I saw that someone x-rayed the knives to see the esact length of the tangs. That was pretty cool. So, I sent both of my Moras with my wife to work tonight and she is going to xray them and hopefully put the pictures on a cd for me. I will let everyone know once I see them.

El Sordo
    Images

carbon steel tends to take and hold an edge better then SS. You can always clean the rust off a blade, getting one to take an edge is sometimes more of a challenge.
    Dyslexics Untie!

Those are a few of the reasons that I wanted the CS over the SS. Now I just gotta figure out how to sharpen them myself...

I just bought one of these knives, why should you soak it in vinigar though?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++