WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast

Thread: The Doyle

i like the doyal a lot.
    matthewski

Default this much,

oxoxoxoxoxxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxox oxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxox oxoxoxxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxooxoxxxoxoxoxxooxoxoxoxoxox ooxoxoxooxoxoxooxoxxxxoxoxxooxoxoxoxoxxoxoxoxoxoxo xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxxoxoxox oxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxox oxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo xooxoxxxoxoxoxxooxoxoxoxoxoxooxoxoxooxoxoxooxoxxxx oxoxxooxoxoxoxoxxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxox oxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxox oxoxoxoxoxoxxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxooxoxxxoxoxoxxooxoxox oxoxoxooxoxoxooxoxoxooxoxxxxoxoxxooxoxoxoxoxxoxoxo xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxx oxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxox oxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxxoxoxoxoxo xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo xoxoxoxooxoxxxoxoxoxxooxoxoxoxoxoxooxoxoxooxoxoxoo xoxxxxoxoxxooxoxoxoxoxxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxox oxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxox oxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxooxoxxxoxoxoxxo oxoxoxoxoxoxooxoxoxooxoxoxooxoxxxxoxoxxooxoxoxoxox xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo xoxoxxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxox oxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxxoxo xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo xoxoxoxoxoxoxooxoxxxoxoxoxxooxoxoxoxoxoxooxoxoxoox oxoxooxoxxxxoxoxxooxoxoxoxoxxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxox oxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxox oxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxooxoxxxox oxoxxooxoxoxoxoxoxooxoxoxooxoxoxooxoxxxxoxoxxooxox oxoxoxxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo xoxoxoxoxoxxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxox oxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxox oxxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxooxoxxxoxoxoxxooxoxoxoxoxoxooxo xoxooxoxoxooxoxxxxoxoxxooxoxoxoxoxxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxxoxoxoxoxox oxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxox oxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoox oxxxoxoxoxxooxoxoxoxoxoxooxoxoxooxoxoxooxoxxxxoxox xooxoxoxoxoxxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxox oxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxox oxoxoxoxxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxooxoxxxoxoxoxxooxoxoxoxox oxooxoxoxooxoxoxooxoxxxxoxoxxooxoxoxoxoxxoxoxoxoxo xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxxoxox oxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxox oxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxxoxoxoxoxoxoxo xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo xoxooxoxxxoxoxoxxooxoxoxoxoxoxooxoxoxooxoxoxooxoxx xxoxoxxooxoxoxoxoxxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxox oxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxox oxoxoxoxoxoxoxxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxooxoxxxoxoxoxxooxox oxoxoxoxooxoxoxooxoxoxooxoxxxxoxoxxooxoxoxoxoxxoxo xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo xxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxox oxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxxoxoxoxo xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo xoxoxoxoxooxoxxxoxoxoxxooxoxoxoxoxoxooxoxoxooxoxox ooxoxxxxoxoxxooxoxoxoxoxxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxox oxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxox oxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxooxoxxxoxoxox xooxoxoxoxoxoxooxoxoxooxoxoxooxoxxxxoxoxxooxoxoxox oxxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo xoxoxoxxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxox oxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxxo xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxooxoxxxoxoxoxxooxoxoxoxoxoxooxoxoxo oxoxoxooxoxxxxoxoxxooxoxoxoxoxxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxxoxoxoxoxoxoxox oxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxox oxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxooxoxxx oxoxoxxooxoxoxoxoxoxooxoxoxooxoxoxooxoxxxxoxoxxo
    matthewski

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    maybe. bottle beer wasn't. i don't drink draft, especially that overrated yingling schwag
    Well, maybe it is overrated but its still pretty dam good.

Panzer

the experience 25 years ago was better
    Everything I've heard about the Doyle is that it truly is a great AT experience. Lone Wolf, you sound like one of those guys living in the past.
    "I told my Ma's and Pa's I was coming to them mountains and they acted as if they was gutshot. Ma, I sez's, them mountains is the marrow of the world and by God, I was right". Del Gue

Images

The Doyle is a great place to get a hot shower, cold beer, & good food. Pat & Vicky have been the best thing for that place since they bought it (8yrs ago, i think?).

Quote Originally Posted by double d View Post
    Everything I've heard about the Doyle is that it truly is a great AT experience. Lone Wolf, you sound like one of those guys living in the past.
    the doyle is just a bar

Images

anyone know if there is public transportion from the Doyle to Harrisburg? Hiking there next week and want to to take the train back to Baltimore.
    Thanks
    Would you be offended if I told you to
    TAKE A HIKE!
    CowHead

"If at first you don't succeed......Skydiving is not for you" Zen Isms

I once was lost, then I hike the trail

Images

Quote Originally Posted by CowHead View Post
    anyone know if there is public transportion from the Doyle to Harrisburg? Hiking there next week and want to to take the train back to Baltimore.
    Thanks
    i've hitched to harrisburg from the doyal before; wasn't that hard.
    "The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions, that I wish it always to be kept alive." -TJ

the doyle is just a bar
    Just not so. Can't play down everything, LW. The Grand Canyon is not just a canyon and the Doyle is not "just a bar". And as a practical matter, it also rents out rooms. So it is, in fact, and in practice more than just a bar.
    Yahtzee

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Yahtzee View Post
    Just not so. Can't play down everything, LW. The Grand Canyon is not just a canyon and the Doyle is not "just a bar". And as a practical matter, it also rents out rooms. So it is, in fact, and in practice more than just a bar.
    The town of Duncannon and the Doyle made for one of my favorite town visits during my thru hike. In many towns you spend your so called 0 day walking from place to place all over town to get everything done in preparation for your return to the trail. In duncannon You can get all town chores done with out ever walking more than a block or 2. This is in part due to Pat and Vicky arranging for the grocery store to come right to the doyle and pick you up. And what could be better than walking right past the liquor store on the way to town. I only wish more trail towns were this convenient. I try to stop by the doyle every time I am in that area, and I cant help driving from end to end on the AT through town. I can not forget to mention that Vicky loves hikers and does everything she can to help hikers with anything they need. The Doyle is more than just a bar and duncannon is more than just another trail town.
    Pootz 07

Quote Originally Posted by Pootz View Post
    The town of Duncannon and the Doyle made for one of my favorite town visits during my thru hike. In many towns you spend your so called 0 day walking from place to place all over town to get everything done in preparation for your return to the trail. In duncannon You can get all town chores done with out ever walking more than a block or 2. This is in part due to Pat and Vicky arranging for the grocery store to come right to the doyle and pick you up. And what could be better than walking right past the liquor store on the way to town. I only wish more trail towns were this convenient. I try to stop by the doyle every time I am in that area, and I cant help driving from end to end on the AT through town. I can not forget to mention that Vicky loves hikers and does everything she can to help hikers with anything they need. The Doyle is more than just a bar and duncannon is more than just another trail town.
    And TA Mary is there as well!
    E-Z---"from sea to shining sea''

just a bar to me

One thruhiker this year described the Doyle as a "spectacular dump." I thought it was very fitting! The rooms are terrible, the bathroom's a mess, the food is fantastic and the people are great. Sounds about right to me, lol

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

The rooms are cheap. Get what you pay for. And for a hiker, its nice.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Not sure where the "dump" part comes from. Reputation, I guess. But if you can step away from all the talk, it is a beautiful building. Yes, the bathroom is merely functional, but what else do you need from a bathroom. As for the rooms, I have never stayed at the Doyle when the room hasn't been clean or the bed hasn't been made. Methinks the whole reputation thing precedes it. It is a great great building, a fine bar and hotel that gets better with each passing year. Add to that Pat and Vicki and you have got an institution.
    Yahtzee

Images

Not sure where the "dump" part comes from. Reputation, I guess. But if you can step away from all the talk, it is a beautiful building. Yes, the bathroom is merely functional, but what else do you need from a bathroom. As for the rooms, I have never stayed at the Doyle when the room hasn't been clean or the bed hasn't been made. Methinks the whole reputation thing precedes it. It is a great great building, a fine bar and hotel that gets better with each passing year. Add to that Pat and Vicki and you have got an institution.
    well said! i thought the place was great a decade ago; and look at how far it's come since then!
    pat & vicki have done so much with so little, it's truly amazing.
    "The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions, that I wish it always to be kept alive." -TJ

The dump part probably comes from how it's generally kinda dirty and run down in the rooms. You must have had a good experience because when I stayed there, there was dirt all over the floor and the floor in the bathroom was wet and rotting.

I'm not saying this to insult the place - it was just my experience, factually. I enjoyed my time there a lot. Had a bed and a shower and some GREAT food from very nice people. And the balcony porch thing is great to hang out on. Blissful is right - you get what you pay for. It's cheap and functional. That's it.

I stayed there on May 31st of this year. I thought the bar was great, the food fantastic, the owners first rate, the company in the bar delightful, and the room I stayed in was clean, as was the bed. Granted, no air conditioning but still better than any shelter I've ever seen. I saw nothing wrong with the bathrooms. I mean the toilet worked, the shower had plenty of hot water, and there was even a scale. The laundry facility was one flight up.

What's not to like?

I've stayed at the Doyle at least a dozen times. None of the rooms I stayed in had anything new in them, but none of them were dirty. Martha Stewart types will enjoy other places more. I look forward to my next visit to this historic stop on the AT.

Images

Sorry for not mentioning Trail Angle Mary in my post. I have not run into her in Duncannon, but have witnessed her great work.

I think it is hard for anyone that has not thru hiked or encountered these places on long section hikes, to really appreciate places like the Doyle and trail towns in general.

This post has me thinking about jumping on the bike and heading to the Doyle.
    Pootz 07

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast
++ New Posts ++