WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Justice

I say bury 'em on the Creeper with just their heads sticking out and let all them kiddies run over them a couple of hundred times.

Images

hate to hear stories like this. if you dont pack a gun at least carry a knife. the beating Ponyboy Curtis was taking in "The Outsiders" seemed to stop pretty quickly after one of the guys got stabbed. Since it was a two on two they may have come out the winners even with simple fisticuffs, although the short time frame and surprise attack Im sure caught them off guard with little or no time to react. whenever I hike thats what I am sketchiest about, animals of the two legged variety. Lets hope they push for a hate crime and throw the book at them. They should charge the cameraman with all the smae charges as he was an accomplice before during and after the fact. when a murder occurs during a robbery even the getaway driver is charged with murder (or can be) as it happened during a crime they were a part of.
    I broke a mirror in my house. I'm supposed to get seven years bad luck but my lawyer thinks he can get me five.

Kudos to the police for putting the effort into putting the criminals behind bars

Images

Sounds like a modern day scene of "Deliverance".

Let's hope Justice prevails.

SMSP

I called the police dept tonite to thank them - spoke to one of the guys who did the leg work, he was cool. Told him a lot of people appreciate what they did.

Quote Originally Posted by karo View Post
    Yeah they will get justice in jail for sure, getting raped in jail is def. in their future.
    Fight crime with crime?

Images

I hiked with Jamie and Zach and really enjoyed them. I heard in Damascus that they had gone home after an incident, but didn't realize they hadn't reported it. I have tried to get in tough with them via their TJ, but haven't had any success. They are such great guys and I'm glad that the police caught the bad guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoop View Post
    I called the police dept tonite to thank them - spoke to one of the guys who did the leg work, he was cool. Told him a lot of people appreciate what they did.
    Kermit Turner. LEO, former volunteer fireman and EMT. friend of hikers. this town is blessed to have him

Images

I just can't imagine how something like this is thought up.
    The things going through some people's mind ...

I'm not going to start carrying a gun or anything because of this but it definitely will make me more aware of the people around me while I'm out hiking.

Wow ... hard to believe this happened.
    I'm naive I guess.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by vamelungeon View Post
    This is one of the reasons I'm always armed. BTW most of the people in SWVA aren't like the animals that did this. I hope they get what's coming to them.
    I would say that most people in general aren't like that. There are those bad apples, though.
    Man is only half himself,
    The other half is a bright thing.
    He tumbles on by luck or grace,
    For man is ever a blind thing.

Many people hesitate to report a crime like this one. . . they figure "what's the point? - unlikely the police will catch the perps." It is important to report though, because it might not have been the first time this happened (although in this case, it maybe was), and if the police can establish a "pattern" to the crime, they are more likely to be able to catch the perps.

The police and the District Attorney's office are likely to be more sympathetic to the victims than you realize. It's their "job description" folks: listen to the victim, then help the victim come to terms with the crime, and hopefully put the defendants in prison. Plus, many people don't know that in most states now there is a Victim's Witness Assistance (or some similar name) office. It's usually run through the DA's office. The fines paid by the defendants (in this state, at least) go into that office, and victims are able to get money to pay for medical bills, replace property lost, pay for therapy, etc. I certainly hope the victims in this case are able to receive restitution for their medical bills, trip home, wrecked dream of hiking thru, etc.

So. . . if you have a problem in any state while on the trail, my advice is to trust the law enforcement in the area (they live there, they don't like crime any more than you do, and they're likely to know something about it), report the crime, and make yourself available when court time comes.

Wink Amen

Quote Originally Posted by Trailweaver View Post
    Many people hesitate to report a crime like this one. . . they figure "what's the point? - unlikely the police will catch the perps." It is important to report though, because it might not have been the first time this happened (although in this case, it maybe was), and if the police can establish a "pattern" to the crime, they are more likely to be able to catch the perps.

The police and the District Attorney's office are likely to be more sympathetic to the victims than you realize. It's their "job description" folks: listen to the victim, then help the victim come to terms with the crime, and hopefully put the defendants in prison. Plus, many people don't know that in most states now there is a Victim's Witness Assistance (or some similar name) office. It's usually run through the DA's office. The fines paid by the defendants (in this state, at least) go into that office, and victims are able to get money to pay for medical bills, replace property lost, pay for therapy, etc. I certainly hope the victims in this case are able to receive restitution for their medical bills, trip home, wrecked dream of hiking thru, etc.

So. . . if you have a problem in any state while on the trail, my advice is to trust the law enforcement in the area (they live there, they don't like crime any more than you do, and they're likely to know something about it), report the crime, and make yourself available when court time comes.
    At the risk of coming off as a real ass......
    It's important to report the crime. If a male ego kept the brothers from doing so, they inadvertantly became part of the problem. It wouldn't have taken too much thought to realize that by not reporting this, they exposed another hiker to the same thing later on. Would you not try to eliminate any other safety hazard you came across? WE as a group got lucky with thanks to the LEO's.

Images

those hoodlums were llucky they didnt run into the wrong person. if it were my hiking buddy and i they would have been in for a rude awakening. my buddy is a seasoned blackbelt and had they tried something it would have been amusing watching these young punks bleed. i can also hold my own.. im glad the punks were caught and hopefully there will be no next time for these d-bags. why do punks like this always seem to get 3,4,5 or even more strikes b4 something is done to control the rotten behavior.....50 lashes may help!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Wrangler88 View Post
    I'm not going to start carrying a gun or anything because of this but it definitely will make me more aware of the people around me while I'm out hiking.

Wow ... hard to believe this happened.
    I'm naive I guess.
    Have to agree with you, I wouldn't go around armed no matter what. Now, having said that, if I am ever attacked the person doing the attacking better want to kill me. Because I am going to respond like my life is at risk.

I don't think you are naive, it is hard for people with compassion to think like someone without any.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    yeah. he's the only one that can turn his life around at this point. the other 2 have some bad karma comin' their way
    well i would say reedy and dean both have a chance......

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by CaseyB View Post
    Hate crime. No kidding, they should push this as a hate crime. These idiots need to go away.

Hate crimes (also known as bias-motivated crimes) occur when a perpetrator targets a victim because of his or her perceived membership in a certain social group, usually defined by racial group, religion, sexual orientation, disability, class, ethnicity, nationality, age, gender, gender identity, or political affiliation.[1]
    yes!!!!!!! i agree

Journal Entries
    Images

Our Police Department is undoubtedly the best in the state of Virginia. And I am going to see if we can get them recognized as such!

This was a hate crime, but not sure how they would prosecute it since hikers are not a protected social group, but I don't know maybe they have an all encompassing group or some other string they can pull.

To me just the fact it seemed to be intensely premeditated combined with their history are enough to give them the max sentence. Don't know how that would compare to a max sentence under hate crime law.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by TOW View Post
    Our Police Department is undoubtedly the best in the state of Virginia. And I am going to see if we can get them recognized as such!
    let's not get too carried away, wasn't your police chief caught dealing meth not that long ago?
    "The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions, that I wish it always to be kept alive." -TJ

Quote Originally Posted by canoehead View Post
    Sounds like the bashers need a good azzz kick'n
    'OR'.., a little mountain justice! Hope they get it either way. A-holes

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
++ New Posts ++