WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Not committing until I graduate! Sassafras Lass's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Spokes View Post
    I appreciate your passion.

Have you read the label of a Knorr's Sides or Mountain House meal package lately?

Cheers!
    Wait, you mean because they're loaded with MSG and other junk? Yeah - I quit eating processed food for months 2 years ago - dropped 30 lbs, DH dropped 70 lbs - then for some reason we started eating Taco Bell and crap again, put all the weight back on. We are now eating natural foods again, and I plan to keep it that way on the trail, unless our only choice is between nothing and a Slim Jim.
    Formerly 'F-Stop'

If you don't like the road you're walking, start paving another one.

~ Dolly Parton

Images

Quote Originally Posted by The_Saint View Post
    Sorry to be the one to say it, but there's alot of poor advice in this thread.

You are 90% ahead of most people in their preparation for the trail. Only after you've been on the trail for a week or two will you know what works best for you AND why.

Clothes can be the biggest weight savings or biggest burden to carry. Only when you leave and what the temperature is like at that time can determine what you need. I can tell you that most of the time you won't be hiking in heavy clothing, because you'll sweat to death.
    Thank you - I didn't post this to just hear "Oh, you're doing fine" or people just agreeing with me. I am surprised at some of the suggestions, because I consider safety and real-world use first, and it appears my and my husband's idea of safety is not the same as others'. Why would it be? We're all individuals. But thank you everyone - I appreciate all of the viewpoints
    Formerly 'F-Stop'

~ Dolly Parton

Quote Originally Posted by Gheparda View Post
    Wait, you mean because they're loaded with MSG and other junk? Yeah - I quit eating processed food for months 2 years ago - dropped 30 lbs, DH dropped 70 lbs - then for some reason we started eating Taco Bell and crap again, put all the weight back on. We are now eating natural foods again, and I plan to keep it that way on the trail, unless our only choice is between nothing and a Slim Jim.

You are going to lose weight no matter what you do on the trail. That's assuming you're white blazing and not yellow blazing....don't freak out over what you're eating on the trail as much as how MUCH you eat.

After you're off is when you need to be concerned with calories and quality of food!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by The_Saint View Post
    You are going to lose weight no matter what you do on the trail. That's assuming you're white blazing and not yellow blazing....don't freak out over what you're eating on the trail as much as how MUCH you eat.

After you're off is when you need to be concerned with calories and quality of food!
    No no - I'm not concerned with losing weight on the trail - I'll be in good shape before we go - but I am concerned with eating crap food that has no real nutritional value and doesn't provide enzymes and energy. I can feel the difference when I eat at restaurants and drink pop versus when I'm eating organic chicken and potatoes and whatnot.
    Formerly 'F-Stop'

~ Dolly Parton

1. No matter what you start with, you'll switch it in and out at least once on your trip. So don't worry about dialing everything in at the start.

2. All you need is the small knife show in a post above. Also, I advise carrying a few safety pins to lance blisters. Unless you're a non-blister person in which case I am giving you an undeserved dirty look!

3. Consider trail runner shoes instead of boots. Footwear is HIGHLY personal--everyone has differently shaped feet, sweat differently, they carry weight on their feet differently, etc, but trail runners are: 1) lighter, 2) easier on the feet, 3) dry faster. I cringe at the heel blisters I see on boot wearers who are out on their first long distance backpacking trip (not sure if this will be your first).

Also, nothing will keep your feet dry. Nothing. Well, except a car. Don't go there even once or you will go there often! If your feet are prone to pruning in wet conditions, consider the pricey but helpful Hyrdopel cream (body glide, too, if you prefer, it works on thigh chaffing and I carry both).

4. Ditch the pack towel. If the inside of you tent is wet, oh well! Wait for a time to dry it out. A thru hiker gets dirty--I like to minimize that but find pack towels don't really help.

5. For personal hygiene--consider wet wipes. I am a late convert to wet wipes and umm...when I started using them, a certain chaffing in a certain area after a certain daily donation to Mother Gaia, went away. I love me my wet wipes now.

6. Aqua Mira over filter. Filters are volume and weight and effort. I carry an extra mixing cap so I can brew up two loads of purification at the same time.

7. Ditch the nalgene. Gatorade bottles (or your brand of choice) are the way to go.

8. Sleep systems are highly personal too, some folks need more than others. I know this past year I found the AT shelter floors very hard on me whereas five years earlier, I had no problems with them--so my ground padding went UP in weight and volume.

9. Oh--almost forgot: FOOD. Pack less than what you think for the first 3 or 4 days. Almost everyone overpacks food. Your food bag is often the heaviest thing in your pack, don't stuff it full to start. Please please trust me on this one!

Generally speaking, minimize everything you can, not just for weight reasons. The less you take, the less you worry about, the less you keep track of, the less you sort through, the less you unpack and the less you pack back up. It's also less volume which means your pack fits and moves better.

Fight the thought process that says, "You'll be in the woods, you won't have access to things you might want or need, so you had better bring everything, and two of many of those things."

The only time that thought process will come true is when you run out of your favorite candy bar and are left with only mud-and-sand health bars and the same old rice-pasta side dish selection.

As you look and parse through your items, remove everything NOT essential (this means comfort items too) and put them in a bounce box. Bounce that box up trail maybe 4 days. See how those days go. If you need something, put it back in your carry kit.

And rest easy! No matter your initial gear selection, you'll change things around as you go. As you start hiking, focus more on your goals--your daily and ultimal goal. Then move from one daily to the next.

Have a good hike.

1st there is nothing "wrong" with your list, you're obviously a well seasoned hiker to get your weight down to this point. But if you want to get the weight lower here's a few suggestions.

Alright . . . still have some odds n' ends to pick up, but what are your thoughts?

* Pack - Gregory Jade 50 (50 oz) Golite jam2 20oz
    * Poles - Black Diamond Ergo Cork (17 oz) Gossamer Gear LT4 8.2oz
    * Bag - GoLite Venture 20 (33 oz) WM Ultralite 25 oz
    * Pad - Big Agnes Insulated Air Core (mummy short) + Z-Lite (chair/xtra buffer against cold ground/buffer against my air mattress inflating) (32 oz) TR Neoair 9oz & 2oz of house wrap to sit on
    * Bag liner - Cocoon Silk (5 oz)
    * Blue running shorts (est. 3 oz)
    * Ivanhoe merino wool baselayer top/bottom (11 oz)
    * Outdoor Research Manifesto wool blend insulating layer (13 oz)
    * Marmot DriClime wind jacket (8 oz)
    * Packa rain gear (small 12 oz)
    * Merino wool/liners (est. 8 oz altogether, maybe an overestimate as no one can tell me how much socks weigh!)
    * Balaclava (3 oz)
    * Wool mittens (3 oz)
    * Boots - Keen Targhee II Mid (30 oz) Trailrunners <1lb
    * Pop can stove (1 oz)
    * Can - MSR Titan Kettle (4 oz)
    * Cutlery - MSR Titan Spoon/Fork (1 oz)
    * Water bottle - Nalgene 1 Liter (.5 oz) I normally carry alot more water capacity, at least 3liters.
    * Water pump - MSR Miniworks EX (16 oz) Steripen 8oz or AquaMira 3oz.
    * Towel - MSR Packtowl Ultralite (3 oz) Bandana?
    * Headlamp - Petzl Tikka XP2 (3 oz)
    * Camera - Panasonic DMC-LZ10 (5 oz w/ batteries) my cellphone has a good 4MP camera
    * Hair ties/pins (1 oz)
    * Burt's Bees chapstick (.15 oz) I found out the hard way my last trip that chapstick is an essential item.

= 306.65 oz

Husband is carrying AquaMira and tent . . .

Images

Quote Originally Posted by flemdawg1 View Post
    1st there is nothing "wrong" with your list, you're obviously a well seasoned hiker to get your weight down to this point. But if you want to get the weight lower here's a few suggestions.
    Thank you - the only GoLite I tried didn't work with my body, though I so wanted it to work! Maybe I'll see if any other stores have more variety I could try before we go, I like my pack and it works well with my body but at 3+ lbs it's heavier than I wanted.

We don't have a cell phone . . . no really, we don't have a cell phone - plus I love photography and if I only do this once I want to record scenes I might otherwise never see again.

Forgot the 1 liter Platypus . . .
    Formerly 'F-Stop'

~ Dolly Parton

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Montana AT05 View Post
    1. No matter what you start with, you'll switch it in and out at least once on your trip. So don't worry about dialing everything in at the start.

2. All you need is the small knife show in a post above. Also, I advise carrying a few safety pins to lance blisters. Unless you're a non-blister person in which case I am giving you an undeserved dirty look!

3. Consider trail runner shoes instead of boots. Footwear is HIGHLY personal--everyone has differently shaped feet, sweat differently, they carry weight on their feet differently, etc, but trail runners are: 1) lighter, 2) easier on the feet, 3) dry faster. I cringe at the heel blisters I see on boot wearers who are out on their first long distance backpacking trip (not sure if this will be your first).

Also, nothing will keep your feet dry. Nothing. Well, except a car. Don't go there even once or you will go there often! If your feet are prone to pruning in wet conditions, consider the pricey but helpful Hyrdopel cream (body glide, too, if you prefer, it works on thigh chaffing and I carry both).

4. Ditch the pack towel. If the inside of you tent is wet, oh well! Wait for a time to dry it out. A thru hiker gets dirty--I like to minimize that but find pack towels don't really help.

5. For personal hygiene--consider wet wipes. I am a late convert to wet wipes and umm...when I started using them, a certain chaffing in a certain area after a certain daily donation to Mother Gaia, went away. I love me my wet wipes now.

6. Aqua Mira over filter. Filters are volume and weight and effort. I carry an extra mixing cap so I can brew up two loads of purification at the same time.

7. Ditch the nalgene. Gatorade bottles (or your brand of choice) are the way to go.

8. Sleep systems are highly personal too, some folks need more than others. I know this past year I found the AT shelter floors very hard on me whereas five years earlier, I had no problems with them--so my ground padding went UP in weight and volume.

9. Oh--almost forgot: FOOD. Pack less than what you think for the first 3 or 4 days. Almost everyone overpacks food. Your food bag is often the heaviest thing in your pack, don't stuff it full to start. Please please trust me on this one!

Generally speaking, minimize everything you can, not just for weight reasons. The less you take, the less you worry about, the less you keep track of, the less you sort through, the less you unpack and the less you pack back up. It's also less volume which means your pack fits and moves better.

Fight the thought process that says, "You'll be in the woods, you won't have access to things you might want or need, so you had better bring everything, and two of many of those things."

The only time that thought process will come true is when you run out of your favorite candy bar and are left with only mud-and-sand health bars and the same old rice-pasta side dish selection.

As you look and parse through your items, remove everything NOT essential (this means comfort items too) and put them in a bounce box. Bounce that box up trail maybe 4 days. See how those days go. If you need something, put it back in your carry kit.

And rest easy! No matter your initial gear selection, you'll change things around as you go. As you start hiking, focus more on your goals--your daily and ultimal goal. Then move from one daily to the next.

Have a good hike.
    Yeah, we did 25 miles Halloween weekend in the Smokies, I always find it hard to eat when you're hiking, so I'll really have to force myself to eat on the trail.

And yes - I'm not generally a blister person
    Formerly 'F-Stop'

~ Dolly Parton

Images

And yes - I'm not generally a blister person

You will be...you will be.
    Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit, and as vital to our lives as water and good bread.
    -Edward Abbey

Quote Originally Posted by Luddite View Post

You will be...you will be.
    False, I had one blister the entire trail. There are MANY thrus that don't have blister problems.

Luddite, LOL

LMAO!!

I actually sat at my desk and, in my best Yoda voice, read the picture's caption aloud.

I would also say a bladder for camp, and no need for 4 pair of socks. Your feet are going to get wet no matter how many pair you bring.

Yes, to what most others have said.

For March-April in GA-NC you definitely need good warm clothes for camp. Down sweaters are popular. We had merino wool from head to toe for camp/sleeping.

Staying warm is not so important while you are walking, you generate so much heat. But you can absolutely freeze in camp or shelters!

Regarding footwear I only recommend trail runners if you have a light body and a light pack, and even then they are risky. If you (and/or your pack) are big, I think a stouter foundation is a good idea. Maybe not leather boots, but consider a few notches above running shoes. You'll like them better when the water is running down the trail like a streambed as it was the cold, wet day we passed Clingman's Dome. Thru hikers in trail runners were drenched and had to hitch to town (Gatlinburg) to dry out. I remember the look of their wet muddy shoes as they stood their hitching.

We, in bigger shoes, had no problems and continued on.

See you at Springer, Winter 09' Chance09's Avatar

First off quit worrying so much about clothing. You have a warm layer; it's called your sleeping bag.

If you need all of the stuff you have to stay warm while hiking you should either A. be hiking in Antarctica or B. off the trail warm in a shelter. In waist deep snow in the smokies i hiked in my frogg togs rain jacket with a tshirt on underneath and I was sweating. I froze my rear end off when we stopped but I was hot while hiking. If there is ever any situation where you would need all that clothing I would put money on it that you will just hole up somewhere and wait it out. Making miles isn't that important.

Secondly around shelters, it's almost as easy, but obviously not as functional, to socialize from your sleeping bag. Take it out, lean up against a wall and chat away if you're cold. No need to have enough clothes to be warm standing around when you could just hop in your bag. Otherwise whats the point of the bag? If I had enough clothes to be warm all even standing around, why not skip the bag and just sleep in them.

Secondly your feet are going to be wet and they're going to be cold, frequently they'll be wet and cold. More socks won't help. Chances are 5 min after putting on a clean dry pair of socks to hike in they will be wet and cold just like your others. What makes a difference is having a clean dry pair to put on at the end of the day.
    When you get to camp take your wet socks off, sleep in your clean ones. In the morning take the clean ones off and put the wet ones back on. You shouldn't need more than three pairs. One for sleeping, one for walking, and one hanging off the back of your pack to dry.

As far as shoes go, boots are a waste of effort. Rockdoc mentions how hikers had to hitch into town because their shoes got wet? It rained 80 days on my AT thru and my shoes were almost always soaked. I never hitched into town because of it. My trail runners even preformed admirably through the blizzard I mentioned above. You just need the right socks to keep your feet warm while they're wet. When you walk through a stream, boots or not they will get wet, unless you're wearing gaiters of course. If you're worried about ankle support then just take it easy at the start. I had horrible ankles from years of soccer. That's no longer the case. They're quite strong now and actually catch and right themselves like they're supposed too. I haven't had an ankle injury since my thru. knock on wood. Also boots supposedly put more stress on your knees because your ankle aren't as loose and can't flex like they usually would be able to (no idea if this is true, but i think it makes sense).

As far as safety goes, quit worrying about that so much too. If the proverbial **** really hits the fan you can be off the trail 99% of the time within a day. There are roads everywhere, 100 mile wilderness included. I imagine you could be off it much much faster if one simply walked downhill instead of using the trail.

Water capacity doesn't matter too much. It's so easy to change by picking up a soda or Gatorade bottle in town. I carried 2 1-liter bottles most of the time with another 2 liter bladder for camp. Most of the time i didn't use the bladder even in camp.

Things you didn't mention
    -a camera charger
    -extra headlamp batteries (it'll be cold so I’d highly recommend lithium, I would still recommend them even without the cold even though they're pricey)

Things I Would Leave At Home
    -Your expectations. The trail is going to blow your mind (good or bad), be flexible about it. It seems you already have many preconceived notions about what you'll be facing, everyone does so no worries, but don't sweat it so much. You'll notice all things work out on the trail. (Not that i'm saying go in unprepared)

-Your attitude towards food. You mention getting essential enzymes and nutrients? I found i walked my best early morning after 4 to 6 poptarts. That would get me going for 6-10 miles. You'll find your body is the efficient machine that it was meant to be no matter what kind of fuel you give it. I ate 100 times better on the PCT than i did on the AT and didn't notice a tremendous difference in my hiking abilities, just that I was getting tired of poptarts. The most random combination I ever had for dinner was wine, 4 pieces of pizza and 3 raspberry jelly filled donuts. Don't be surprised if you find yourself eating such random combinations of "unhealthy" foods and really enjoying it.

On a side note and I can’t wait for the controversy this brings up , I think your philosophies might be better matched outside of the UL Forum, no offense. A 19+ LB base weight isn't very ultra light and it's not so much the gear differences as the philosophy behind the choices. I guess my point is that you are asking the wrong people. The UL people who don’t mind going without, just going with a little less comfort, or are perfectly comfortable with less might not be the best place to get gear list help.
    AT - Georgia to Maine '09
    PCT - Mexico to Canada '10
    CDT - Canada to Mexico '11

i'm a real believer in enzyme rich real foods. but dont pack anything under 100 calories per ounce. lots of raw and live enzyme foods like goji bars fit this bill.

add in some peanut butter and whole wheat pasta and you can eat a completely balanced nutrition while on the trail easily.

we have a spreadsheet of all the different foods and we use it as we make resupply boxes, say the box is for 5 days, we will get four days in (24,000 calories, 2 ppl) and calculate, then say "oh, we're short protein" or "oh, we're short fiber" and add in foods rich in those to finish off our boxes.

i can send you the XLS if you'd like, it'll make planning a cinch. what i do is, the places we are mailing food, we mail ideal food. the places where we're buying we get by on whatever and don't sweat it. that way we know we will get our nutrition in due time.

^^ abotu what chance had said...

i hurt my ankle and the doctor specifically said the ten inch boots i wore for work CAUSED me to hurt my ankle because the muscles that hold it together had almost atrophied due to the footwear. i've been on running / trail running shoes ever since and am getting a doctors note to work in them.

i would say plan low mile days the first two weeks and don't worry about your ankles. IMHO.

GA-ME 2011
    Images

I carry the Leatherman Squirt, less than 2 oz. and has a good pair of scissors, which I find is the most useful tool on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Chance09 View Post
    ......-Your attitude towards food. You mention getting essential enzymes and nutrients? I found i walked my best early morning after 4 to 6 poptarts. That would get me going for 6-10 miles. You'll find your body is the efficient machine that it was meant to be no matter what kind of fuel you give it. ....
    Had to chuckle after reading what Chance09 wrote about food. He hit the nail head for sure.

By the end of my thru I was eating 2 jars of "JIF Peanut Butter with a Touch Honey" a week. Just spooned it right out the jar- YUM! It wasn't unusual to eat a quick breakfast consisting of Snicker Bars, Honey Buns, and cold oatmeal either. I still lost 27 lbs.

All that said, I think Gheparda will do just fine.

BTW, anyone know how many vegans have been converted after a visit to Whitehouse Landing?

Quote Originally Posted by Spokes View Post
    BTW, anyone know how many vegans have been converted after a visit to Whitehouse Landing?
    hahaha.

your gear list looks good. Had to weigh in on the sox question... i hiked in 09, second wettest year ever. i carried 3 pair the entire way. it was a BLESSING to settle in for the evening with a dry pair of socks in the sleeping bag. Made a lot of wet, rainy, sleety, cold days more liveable. Just commit one pair of socks for "only in camp" and rotate the others. But, yah, your feet will be wet most days if it's raining.

You'll figure out exactly what you need clothing-wise after just a couple of weeks. IMHO it's prudent to make sure you have at least the bare minimum of extra clothing to get completely dry in camp, i.e. one baselayer shirt and pants that stays in your stuff sack all day and then you only sleep in it. i got mild hypothermia in the smokies from hiking fast in an ice storm, sweating a lot, and then cooling down and being wet. it was okay but i would have been in a bad position if all my stuff was wet.

don't let anyone bully you into thinking pumps are stupid. yes, you'll probably be fine 98% of the time without treating at all. yes, aquamira does take care of it and weighs a lot less. aquamira also affects the taste of the water though, which seems counterproductive when most of us go into the woods for the "natural experience" dunno....I just laugh a little but when I hear people brag "I didn't treat my water for the entire trail!" and then later on "it took me seven months to hike....at one point I was curled up for three days on the side of the trail, puking my brains out" you probably won't die, but it sucks to get sick. full disclosure: I hiked with a pump for 1800 miles. I never got sick. I switched to aquamira at the end when i had had my fill of (pumped) pure mountain water and when my knees were giving out and i was desperately trying to shed weight.

you're going to have an incredible time. we're all jealous. that's why we're taking time out of our "busy" days to post extensively on this forum.

See you at Springer, Winter 09' Chance09's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sue_Bird View Post
    i hiked in 09, second wettest year ever.
    Was sue bird your trail name? I counted almost 80 days of rain out of the 155 of my hike. Wet feet should be an expectation for a thru hike in my opinion.

If you really do want to keep them dry though, and i used them on and off, Rocky makes a pair of waterproof socks that actually works, but are as uncomfortable as all hell.

Bout 50 bucks a pop if i remember correctly.
    AT - Georgia to Maine '09
    PCT - Mexico to Canada '10
    CDT - Canada to Mexico '11

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++