WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Heavy G View Post
    I have a Lab. Don't mean to offend folks, but there is no better breed of dog. Smart, athletic, easy going, friendly and very very trainable.
    labs have always been my favorite dogs
    my dog was a lab/chow mix.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by the goat View Post
    my chocolate lab mix likes to climb ladders on his own.

But how is he on going down them?
    You'll be doing that as well as going up.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by LIhikers View Post
    But how is he on going down them?
    You'll be doing that as well as going up.
    already did the trail with him. he would always backtrack and find his own way down, never took him more than a minute or two.

that's usually how he would go up as well, aside from the ladder he climbed in the whites (to my astonishment).
    "The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions, that I wish it always to be kept alive." -TJ

Images

Does he fix rrrroooofs?

TW
    "Thank God! there is always a Land of Beyond, For us who are true to the trail..." --- Robert Service

Images

Quote Originally Posted by the goat View Post
    already did the trail with him. he would always backtrack and find his own way down, never took him more than a minute or two.

that's usually how he would go up as well, aside from the ladder he climbed in the whites (to my astonishment).
    Glad to hear you two had a successful hike!
    My wife and I bring our shepherd with us when we do section hikes of the AT, and other hiking too. She, the dog, loves being outdoors but we have to keep her on a leash or she'd try to catch every small animal she sees. She wasn't nearly so bold the morning we came across a moose up in NH

't know that there is any one breed that's best. I chose a female lab though and she has been great.

Dogs not to bring would be English Bulldogs and Pugs, they both overheat easily and most have breathing issues.
    Besides that, I feel that any dog can be a great hiking companion. I have 3 mutts (hound mix, terrier mix and the best hiking dog, a Canadian Eskimo mix). All do well, listen, are great off leash, friendly and they have a great time. You have to put the time to properly train them, whichever breed you chose.
    Someone mentioned Bassett Hounds as not being good. I disagree. I've hiked with a Bassett, in all weather, and they are champs. Don't let those lil legs fool you. This one plows through snow like effortlessly.
    Mutts are the way to go. They are generally healthier than a pure bred. Besides, you can save a life, it will show you appreciation, love and loyalty. A friend adopted a 5 year old Border Collie mix that is so amazing. Best desision they ever made. Loyal, happy, friendly, etc.
    When night falls she cloaks the world in impenetrable darkness, A chill rises from the soil and contaminates the air, suddenly....life has new meaning.

Images

I didn't feel like looking all the way through this thread due to time constraints but what are the opinions on dachshunds. I feel like they would be great and if need be you could carry them. Probably a stupid question but i love the breed.
    ...God's Country, and Scotch.

Quote Originally Posted by TallShark View Post
    I didn't feel like looking all the way through this thread due to time constraints but what are the opinions on dachshunds. I feel like they would be great and if need be you could carry them. Probably a stupid question but i love the breed.
    Dachshunds are tough little dogs who love being in the woods. They can be loud and protective so firm training is a must. And, I just wouldn't do to much high mile days with them with those little legs.
    When night falls she cloaks the world in impenetrable darkness, A chill rises from the soil and contaminates the air, suddenly....life has new meaning.

Quote Originally Posted by jtken View Post
    Blue heeler
    If you're talking about Australian Cattle Dogs, yea, love em. Just lost my 16 year old last summer. Great, great, moody, growly dog. Miss him and his attitude. He was great with people, but had to be boss around other dogs. Herding and snapping at them, not to hurt them, just to let them know what he's about. Tennis balls were his best friend. You could throw one as hard and fast as you can at his face from 3 feet away, and he caught it.
    He was originally my fiances, and when she lived at home, she would come home to find her little sister and the 3 cats all in a corner with the dog guarding them and not letting them move. Poor girl was stuck for three hours sometimes crying for someone to get home. He just felt she and the cats were safe there lol. Love and miss that dog.

My cousin has a three legged Siberian Husky that has done several of the Adirondack High Peaks. Its getting older now, but Siberian Huskys are excellent hiking dogs. Especially because they've been bred to go for miles each day and bed down in a new place each night.

Images

The only dog on the trail that I've encountered that didn't jump on me or go crazy and was extremely well behaved without being leashed was the Portuguese water dog (?). I think that was the breed the owner said. It's the same breed President Obama's family decided on. The owner said he was a great hiking partner.
    Happy Lifetime Sectioner!

Hard to say, but working dogs are best. The best I've seen were Border collies, Beagles, Corgis and my current favorite is the wire hair Jack Russell Terrier. Can handle all kinds of weather, Require less weight in food, Small enough to carry but can bound up and over just about anything, and small and cute enough to be non-threatening to the dog-phobic hikers.

Journal Entries

Rhodesian Ridgeback. Extreme stamina, good disposition. Some males are pretty big- if I was looking for one to hike with I might look for a smallish female.

Quote Originally Posted by JybbaGirl View Post
    we have a weimaraner and he is an awesome hiking dog... cranks out tons of miles and is good with wildlife, other dogs, kids, etc... we've had him on the trails since he was a pup and he loves it
    Believe girl!!! SideKick ROCKS!!! But then again, you know that

Images

My Springer Spaniel will walk behind me for most of the time but about every 20 minutes he will turn around and check to make sure my friend is still back there and then I will hear him running back to me to walk behind me. I let him out in front the first 30 minutes to run some and then he is fine staying behind me. I keep him shaved during the summer and he does great. I have hiked him 70 miles in 4 1/2 days and he did great. Plenty of energy on the trail but passed out once we got back to the car and I got him his Chicken McNugget meal on the way home. Great hiking buddy.

As stated above, there are a LOT of dogs that are capable of long distance hikes. My top choices would either a parsons jack russel, or s Rhodesian ridgeback. Just depends on what size companion you are looking for. I like jacks because they are small enough to carry if necessary, and dont eat ridiculous amounts. Ridgebacks are legendary for their stamina and protective abilities.

Not committing until I graduate! Sassafras Lass's Avatar
    Images

Working breeds.

Something with great lung capacity and won't follow it's nose over following you is ideal. Anything that was bred to work WITH humans and not so much independently would be best. Think retreivers, spaniels, etc. Nothing brachiocephalic (
    smushed nose) or weak lungs, nor a breed prone to excessive joint issues or heat exhaustion (screening will help prevent issues, but it's not 100% certain).

If you're going to buy from a breeder, make sure you have everything on paper - its pedigree; its registration with the AKC, Canadian Kennel Club or UKC (
    everything else is a bull***** puppy mill made-up registry, such as ConKC or APRI, ugh!); health scores for sire and dam (we're talking OFA, PennHip, CERF, Optigen - checks for hips, elbows, heart, and eyes minimum).

Of course, you could always adopt a good ol' American mutt that has been temperament tested, get him in for a hip and heart evaluation, and go have a great time!
    Formerly 'F-Stop'

If you don't like the road you're walking, start paving another one.

~ Dolly Parton

Not committing until I graduate! Sassafras Lass's Avatar
    Images

Also, please do not shave your dog. Nature is not faulty - your dog has that coat for a reason - it will help insulate him during cold AND heat, believe it or not. Dogs sweat through their feet and pant to cool off - if you want to help your dog, keep him hydrated constantly and let him take some creek swims. But no shaving that coat!
    Formerly 'F-Stop'

If you don't like the road you're walking, start paving another one.

~ Dolly Parton

http://www.runnersworld.com/article/...3611-0,00.html

I have a Lab and Pointer mix, good mix for the trail but she overheats super quickly (and hogs the space in the tent too)

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
++ New Posts ++