WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    Images

Since I work with dogs for a living (in a training/boarding facility) my suggestion would be to research the history of a breed and find out what it was bred for initially. Most breeds were bred for working or hunting, and sometimes both. Whether herding, retrieving, or draft animals, dogs were built/bred for stamina and strength. With all that in consideration, there are literally millions of dogs in need of rescue in local shelters and through local rescue groups. And I have yet to meet a dog that disliked the trail. Some might be just better built for long distance.
    -clicker

Images

Haha. Or might be eaten by a shelter mouse if too large -- the mouse not the dog.

Images

I'm partial because I have a rottie mix, but when I first started taking her hiking, I did some research, rotties were orginally a herding dog, then later as a draught dog (used to pull carts). They have a very strong and wide build, which is good for carrying and for handling rough terrain, they are also very intelligent, willing to work, and loyal to their owner. All of these attributes make for a good hiking dog. I've never felt so safe with a dog as with the one I have now, she lets me know if someone is approaching, and I know that I don't have to worry about her attacking anyone/thing until it is attacking me (few years ago an actor friend fake hit me but it looked real and I did a fake response, but coco's response wasn't fake, she went for him)

Though given the breeds reputation in recent years, I suggest being very careful in picking a breeder, it will be harder to find, but well worth getting good rottie that doesn't have uncontrollable aggressiveness.
    Gaiter
    homepage.mac.com/thickredhair
    web.mac.com/thickredhair/AT_Fall_07

I agree with the Rhodesian Ridgeback and the mutts. We have a rescued Rhodesian Ridgeback mix (along with 4 other dogs.) We just took him on our first section hike and he did amazing. He was off leash the whole time. When we encountered other hikers and dogs, he ignored them completely (kept him right next to us just in case.) When we would cook or sit around camp, he would lay on his mat and sleep.

I would not take any of my 4 other dogs. We have an australian shepherd. He is a great dog, but likes to chase things too much. He also LOVES people and runs up to them and tries to lick them to death, or eat their food.

We have a golden retriever. He is older, but I dont think his hips could take it.

We have a rottie mix, she might be ok hiking, but is getting older.

We also have some little short legged mutt (maybe a corgi/terrier mix). He is in good shape, he just doesnt seem built for long hikes.

Good Luck. Pound Puppies get my vote.

A goat... I have seriously considered this, I hear they make great pack animals, and are quite content eating whatever they can find. I wonder if there would be any regulations against hiking with a goat? It's not a dog and it's not a horse.
    http://www.napga.org/album_frame.asp?menuID=14

Quote Originally Posted by SurferNerd View Post
    Surprised that someone hasn't mentioned Shiba Inu yet. They were specifically bred for trekking the mountains of Japan, and love snowy hiking. Small, clean, obedient. Shiba's self clean, and rarely smell or get nasty. Very energetic, warm bodied, and loving, they are the perfect breed for hiking. I'll be getting one here shortly. Actually considered this year getting one, but I'm going to wait until after my thru-hike before I get one.
    Hmm, not so sure about this one. My Shiba was very tough to train and is nervous around strangers. If you're in an area where you won't be around other people, it would be great.

I would go with a lab.

My hiking buddy for 17 years was a Brittany. More like 14 years because I would worry about her endurance later in life. Y'know, when her snout and eyes turned white.

Mine was not too social (atypical for the breed) because of some puppy trauma (parvo). I had to keep an eye on her when she first met somebody. After that she was fine.

Brittany is great because:

1. High endurance. They can go forever.
    2. Good temperament.
    3. Intelligent and motivated to please their pack leader. I never had to yell at Ash.
    4. Small to medium in size.
    5. Mine was bread for field trials so she had a thin, shorter coat that was easy to maintain.
    6. Orange and white. I'm biased though.
    7. Rugged. They hold up well on the trail.
    8. Considered a close-quarters hunting dog. They don't roam too far.
    9. Like all dogs watch them closely on hot days. It was not uncommon for Ash to sit in puddles, rivers, etc. Great reminder to slow down. She was always motivated to move on though.

Images

My baby (Cali) is a mix of husky, german shepherd, border collie, and lab. She loves the trails, she wears a dog pack with her own food and water and still has the enthusiasm to pull me up hills (I hook her harness onto my hip belt while hiking because she's got a pretty strong prey-drive and an independent streak in her). She naps while we cook dinner and set up camp, then takes it upon herself to sit and guard the tent door when we crawl into our bags.

Our other dog (Nikki) we're not so sure about (she was a rescue and we never got to meet her parents), but my money is on some mix of beagle, pit bull, lab. She's a goof and is happy to be along for the ride, and go wherever we go, but she doesn't have the same drive that Cali does. She lets us put a pack on her, but gets confused when there's weight in it and isn't really excited about it so we really don't bother anymore. We keep her leashed at all times too, but she's content to follow at someone's heels.

Cali has a working dog personality, she's always happier and more affectionate once she feels like she's done a good job and had some of her ridiculous energy levels drained off, backpacking is an outlet for her that we can't match at home, even with daily walks/runs and a huge yard. Nikki is more the typical american dog, she just loves being with her family. She enjoys the exercise and the new sights and smells sure, and it's good for her, but she'd probably be just as happy lying around at home too.

Looking at breeds is a good starting point, but it really comes down to personality (in my humble opinion) especially if you're looking for a long-distance hiking partner. Most dogs can handle the typical weekend hiking excursion tho, I've seen little silky terriers make it to the top of some pretty serious day-hikes.

Default I agree on personality

Not all trails are as lenient as the AT but I'm sure one could find a trail in a book from Falcon or others and take their dog on a short hike to see what he/she does. Dogs, like cats, birds, humans, etc., all have different personalities. A litter of pups of most any breed would probably have some that would like to hike and others that would rather lie by the fire and their human. But about the leash. Aren't you supposed to keep dogs on leashes on the AT?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by jockellis View Post
    But about the leash. Aren't you supposed to keep dogs on leashes on the AT?
    leashes are only required in a few areas, and there are a few areas where dogs aren't even allowed
    but many owners hike with their dogs off leash, I do, but I know my dog is well behaved, unfortunately there are some owners who don't keep control of their dogs, giving a bad rep to all dogs, i didn't understand the hatred that some on this site have for dogs on the trail because all the dogs i had met were good, until i went to traildays and met the dogs who were thru-hiking but weren't well behaved and worse their owners who could care less...
    Gaiter
    homepage.mac.com/thickredhair
    web.mac.com/thickredhair/AT_Fall_07

Somebody has to change the title for this thread. Every time it shows up, my brain reads "Breast feed for hiking".

Yeah, I know, I've got issues .

In Jeff Alt's book A Walk for Sunshine, he hikes briefly with a friend who has a dog which manages to lose her packs several times before her owner gives in and carries them, chases game, and eventually gets sprayed by a skunk, obviously returning to her owner for some comfort and relief, which guarantees him neither.
    The conclusion: Jeff had contemplated buying and training a dog before his hike, and, after hiking with his friend, was glad that he hadn't (and his friend's German Shepherd, Anya, a female, was professionally trained and generally very obedient). BUT:
    Dogs will be dogs..............
    I've often wondered how many wonderful friendships dog owners have missed out on because their dog was misunderstood or had misbehaved.
    People many times talk about how many wonderful friendships have been made because of the dog, but there's always a flip side of a seemingly one-sided point of view.
    Consider carefully before you plan on purchasing a dog for a thruhike. The dog will go along because it loves you. Just make sure that the dog will also love the hike, and be prepared to cut your trip short should your dog get injured and you don't have another person who is willing to look after the dog while it recuperates.
    Lots to think about. I love dogs, but owning one would definitely change not only what I do, but who I am and who I can spend time with.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Both of the Lab mixes I have walked with were/are good at "leave it". Zoe, my deep departed Female Lab/Southwest Ks Cur would not chase much; it did take training (mostly not getting to go with me after chase a rabbit out of the yard for a couple of blocks). She did at about five years old chase a kid (ran with) a kid on a bike which she caught troublr for. Bear my current Lab/Southeast KS Cur did not chase anything after coming to my house (was told he would chase squirrels @his Farm home) I have allowed him to chase squirrles off our porch and he did go after some pond ducks with a retriever dive into the water. At which point he wondered what happened!! He is a leash dog 99% of the time when walking/hiking.

I will also say RESCUE DOG and MIXED BREED manly because pound puppies are need of good homes and well most are mixed breeds.

Default Best breed for hiking?

Try a lil shorty jack Russell!! Mine loves to hike! After a 15 mile day he still got energy. Small but durable. Rescue if possible!!!!!

Images

I've had many dogs over the years and every one of them was a hiking buddy. Different breeds have strengths and weaknesses out in the woods, but I think almost any dog can be trained to be great out there. And most of them love it! I had a coonhound that was very well trained but would still occassionally go after a scent and come back when he was good and ready. We would have to sit and get comfy - he'd always be back in an hour or so. Other than that though, all of my dogs have had no problems out there. I've had all bigger breeds until my current dog who is a rat terrier/chihuahua mix. Never thought he would be a great hiker...but he's turned out to be the best yet! SOOO smart and he listens really well and just loves being out there! So you never know...go give a shelter dog some good lovin and he'll follow you anywhere.

My boyz love the trail and get quite excited when I start packing my pack. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1359597060.702613.jpg

Shocker
    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Shocker

Images

My little jack has completed all the 4000 footers in NH. She had been an unflappable hiking dog for 14 years! Too old to make this years through...this has been a hard part for me. I like the small (10#) size when you need to pick her up but I NEVER have to boost her up anything. She finds her own way.

There are many more breeds that may adjust to hiking just well. Some may just need a little practice and will get soon into the routine. Many times hikers search so much for the ideal hiking breed and then end up finding that a mutt adopted from their local shelter has turned out being the best hiking dog they have ever had.

Adpoted a lab/golden mix from a shelter in NC 3 weeks ago. He is about 4 months and is already being groomed for the trail life. Best decision we made rescuing a pup!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by dereklawler View Post
    There are many more breeds that may adjust to hiking just well. Some may just need a little practice and will get soon into the routine. Many times hikers search so much for the ideal hiking breed and then end up finding that a mutt adopted from their local shelter has turned out being the best hiking dog they have ever had.

...Or is it Hiker Trash? Almost There's Avatar
    Images

My 4 year old Australian Shepherd, Sampson. I echo the working breed family of dogs. When he has his pack on it is time to work. He doesn't chase animals, and he is always within ten feet of me. That being said, train your dog if you intend to take him out on the trail. To me, this is more important than specific breed. At least that, and the dog liking life on the trail...not all do.Sam.jpg
    Walking Dead Bear
    Formerly the Hiker Known as Almost There

Just signed Grayson up for Puppy Kindergarten. Making sure he wont be one of those annoying ass dogs that are so common on the trail

Almost There- beautiful dog. Looks like he is in love with the trail
    Quote Originally Posted by Almost There View Post
    My 4 year old Australian Shepherd, Sampson. I echo the working breed family of dogs. When he has his pack on it is time to work. He doesn't chase animals, and he is always within ten feet of me. That being said, train your dog if you intend to take him out on the trail. To me, this is more important than specific breed. At least that, and the dog liking life on the trail...not all do.Sam.jpg

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
++ New Posts ++