WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7

pick a dog with a natural build, and one that isn't known for hip/knee problems. a dog with an easy gait. short haired. a dog that requires very little grooming. a dog with low prey drive, that doesn't bark at every squirrel. not hyper, but plenty of energy. a breed that isn't known for obediance difficulty. and train the dog, obediance school will more than pay for itself.

german short haired pointers, weimeraners, vizslas... all make great trail dogs. so do mutts, chosen well a mutt can make a fine trail dog

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lif6o8iE5cA one of my favorite thru hike vids, with a fantastic vizsla

I have a Blue Heeler (Australian Cattle Dog), and he's quite the hiker. He's a medium sized dog at about 45 pounds and can carry about 12 pounds on his back (multiple days of food). He is a working dog, and VERY loyal. He loves trails, and never runs ahead and comes back - he just stays by my side so he doesn't waste energy on distance that doesn't need to be traveled. Great breed, and with a waterproof coat, they dry off very quickly.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Towhee View Post
    I have a Blue Heeler (Australian Cattle Dog), and he's quite the hiker. He's a medium sized dog at about 45 pounds and can carry about 12 pounds on his back (multiple days of food). He is a working dog, and VERY loyal. He loves trails, and never runs ahead and comes back - he just stays by my side so he doesn't waste energy on distance that doesn't need to be traveled. Great breed, and with a waterproof coat, they dry off very quickly.
    I'm looking into a blue heeler vs a husky . I've raised beagles hunted with them and did field trials,even got my AKC judging lic.to judge small pack beagles and show judge as well. The only thing I'm having a hard time with is a wet dog. I love animals and even had my Kennel with automatic water/feeders. I just can't get over a wet dog being in my tent or laying on my gear wet so pls shine a little light on this for me. I sure would like a hiking buddy. Thanks hs

Australian Cattle Dogs have inexhaustible energy and drive. They are scary smart and bred to withstand harsh extremes of the elements. One of these great dogs lived with me for close to 16 years and she was a great trail dog.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australian_Cattle_Dog

Quote Originally Posted by hikingshoes View Post
    I'm looking into a blue heeler vs a husky . I've raised beagles hunted with them and did field trials,even got my AKC judging lic.to judge small pack beagles and show judge as well. The only thing I'm having a hard time with is a wet dog. I love animals and even had my Kennel with automatic water/feeders. I just can't get over a wet dog being in my tent or laying on my gear wet so pls shine a little light on this for me. I sure would like a hiking buddy. Thanks hs
    Just wondering, Why not a beagle? Nothing against heelers or huskies; though for wet dog I would go heeler or lab over husky but a husky maybe just a water repellent as a heeler or a lab.

Quote Originally Posted by Hill Ape View Post
    . . .one that isn't known for hip/knee problems . . . so do mutts, chosen well a mutt can make a fine trail dog
    A good way to avoid the hip/knee issues is to get a mixed breed/mutt. When breeds mix a lot of the health issues "breed out". A thought I have had which was confirmed by my vet when I said it about my Lab mixes (one currently living at my house and the other awaiting the day we can hike in the here after).

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7
++ New Posts ++