WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Golite Shangri la

Has anyone used the golite Shangri la? do you rub up against the sides and get condinsation all over your bag? room to sit up? easy to pitch? I am looking for a good one/two person ultralight and this is on my list. any thoughts, please share.

thanks

restlesss

CDT - 2013, PCT - 2009, AT - 1300 miles done burger's Avatar

I have a Shangri-la 1, and I like it. I've never had any trouble with condensation getting on my bag. There's definitely room to sit up if you're not super tall. Once you get the hang of it, the pitching isn't too difficult. Once nice thing is that there aren't long guy lines, so you don't need a huge space.

The Shangri-La is really sturdy and made with heavier sil-nylon than most ultralight tarps/tents. So it should hold up well to nasty weather or even snow. And because of the shape, it's sort of a nice compromise between a tent and a small tarp. But I personally think that unless you're expecting a lot of bad weather, a tarp that's open at the ends is the way to go. The bigger tarps (like the Gossamer Gear SpinnTwinn) are big enough to sit up under with the sides pitched close to the ground. And the open ends mean that you can see what's going on outside and avoid condensation.

We have one and sewed our own tarp for it, made a few other alterations including side clips that pull the sides out and keep the tarp off the screen. . . works great and we had plenty of room. . .

Section Hiking Knucklehead Hooch's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by warraghiyagey View Post
    We have one and sewed our own tarp for it, made a few other alterations including side clips that pull the sides out and keep the tarp off the screen. . . works great and we had plenty of room. . .
    No you didn't.
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

Quote Originally Posted by Hooch View Post
    No you didn't.
    Yes I did you stupidhead. . . .

Quote Originally Posted by warraghiyagey View Post
    Is it the nest that you're referring to?
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

You cant go wrong with Golite shelters. The nest is an inner tent that is just a footprint with noseeum netting sewn to it.

Happy Hikes
    Cabana

Images

I guided with the Shangri-la 5 this summer, and i will say for the first month it was great. But after about a month the inner seam tape started to fray. We got stuck in a downpour and everyone got soaked. we sent it back in for warranty and it was fine. I would suggest the Shangri-la 1 or 2 instead of the 5, there are just too many things that could go wrong.

Images

I love the Shangri la 3. They state that they have hydrostatic threads in the tarp that don't need seam sealing but no, you would need to seam seal it still. Probably not for people much over six foot though.......like most tents it seems.

I have an unused shangri la 1 (green) and the floor piece that I would sell cheap if you decide on this one. good tent, just never got around to using it and don't think I ever will. got too much gear....

juma

Quote Originally Posted by Tinker View Post
    Is it the nest that you're referring to?
    Yupperdoodle. . .

It's decent, I'd say 7.5 out of 10. It's quite roomy for one, fairly easy to pitch, and very weatherproof. I dig the vents, they work well and it sheds wind pretty nicely.

I have two gripes- The same tape sucks on mine, definitely seam seal it yourself. Also, it seems like the zipper carries a lot of tension when it is closed, and I think this is probably going to be the first thing that goes awry on it.

Nice thing is that both these things would probably be covered by Golite if they are problems for you.

Not sure if I could get over that it has no floor.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by jhensley View Post
    heck there are some homes that do not have floors. dont let that bother you..

Images

The problem with tents and sleeping bags when people say "Oh I have lots of room" is that it is subjective based on your size. My wife who is 5 ft 3 is lost in my sleeping bag while it barely fits me (6ft 2+ & 275lbs). Same for our tent, she can almost stand up in it while I crawl around on all fours.

I was researching for a new lite weight tent last year and most of them that I found were too small length and or width for me (many I found only listed square footage, not actual size LxW. Lots of good lite weight tents out there but one persons palace is anothers persons strait jacket.
    Hammock Hanger by choice

Warbonnet BlackBird 1.7 dbl

www.neusioktrail.org

Bears love people, they say we taste just like chicken.

Images

Just think of it as a tarp, not a tent. Your "floor" is the ground sheet that you are probably carrying anyway. Not a big deal.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Default seam sealing

It's a fairly good idea to always seam seal any tent, whether or not the tent is factory taped. Even the best tents often have flaws in the tape, in particular where a velcro or webbing tab exists to attach to a tent pole, the tape will not cover all the entire seam, so it will leak in heavy rain.

Especially with any silnylon product, seam tape IS going to peel at some stage. I don't know why this is, but every single piece of gear I've had involving silnylon and seam tape needs to be replaced after a year or so.

The way I understand it is that seam tape will not stick to silnylon, so they must apply a coating to the silnylon in order for the tape to stick...so I wonder if that coating eventually wears off or something?

A good example is sea to summit roll down silnylon bags, I own about 6 of them, they have ALL been replaced twice since 2008, granted by warranty, but you would think they would hold up better.

Yes, you need some PU coating for tape to stick. But even with that it is almost impossible to get a watertight seal on corners and , as spelled out above, where bits of Velcro/tie outs/hooks hang down.
    If you dig enough inside the FAQ of most tent manufacturers you will find that seam sealing is the standard suggestion when your "taped" tent starts leaking.

Franco

Images

they make a floor that's tubbed that clips to the inside of it...weighs 7oz.'s..

http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___27834

I'm considering this tent as well..at 19 oz.'s plus the 7 oz. floor..not a bad way to Go-Lite...{pun intended}..

Images

to add to that there's a net.."nest" that fits inside of it at 15 oz.'s...don't wanna use it..just use the floor and sleep on the rest of it..

http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___27833

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++