WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Registered User Different Socks's Avatar
    Images

Default Clearing the air?

I don't like to be around smoke from tobacco products, not to mention that it makes it difficult to breath and stinks up my clothes with an odor I could do w/o.
    My question is this: If someone lit up at a shelter on the trail and it bothered you(breathing it, the smell, etc), how would you handle it? Would I have a right to demand that the person doesn't smoke in the shelter and to do it else where?

I would leave if it bothered me.
    I don't think you should demand they don't smoke but asking them politely to step a way from the shelter would seem to be an appropriate thing to do.

Me and a buddy stop at an empty shelter for lunch. Go for water and there's this river guide dude we'd met the previous night chilling out in the shelter all laid back and cool. We eat lunch and talk and at some point guy says, "Mind if I smoke a cigarette? It's harder out in the wind."

Being that we were on the seat/bar area and him on the bunks it was no biggie so we said sure go ahead.

Dude proceeds to pull out a pipe and take a massive hit of marijuana.

Later we caught up to him at Fontana Dam Shelter. Two o'clock in the morning. I hear the ligheter. I hear the big suck in. Then this pot cloud floats over me. He was laying in the same bunk as me about four feet away.

We joked we'd given him a permenant easement to toke up around us. But to answer the question I don't mind a little second hand smoke as long as it's not a group of people puffing up a storm. It's much more annoying hanging around people who smoke in civilization. Constantly going outside to smoke, not as much air circulation, etc.
    No man should go through life without once experiencing healthy even bored solitude in the wilderness, finding himself depending solely on himself and thereby learning his true and hidden strength.

Images

It is open. Not enclosed. Ignore it. I would not make an issue of it.

Images

If he/she didn't ask first if it would bother you (which any polite smoker should), I would think you would be fine in nicely asking them to please finish smoking outside the shelter.
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

smoking weed in front of others isn't cool unless u know everyones completely fine with it. simple as. it makes some people very uncomfortable. at least blow out the fricking open end. i thoroughly dislike show off "stoners" who just wanna look the naughty hippie rebel.

I think it's fine to ask someone to step outside to smoke a cig or at least sit next to the open side and blow the smoke out. any respectful person would do so, even in a massive storm.

i'm a smoker by the way.

Images

Shelters are public places where all kinds of people gather, some of whom can be expected to find second-hand smoke objectionable. I would think the proper thing to do would be to smoke elsewhere.

Images

Default Funny

This thread reminds me of a funny scene on the PCT. I was watching a couple of hikers struggle up a mountain in Washington. Their trekking pole dug in and pushing off with every step. Then just a few yard behing them came a well known Triple Crowner.. L#$T. I will never forget how effortlessly he was hiking up that hill while smoking his pipe (tobacco) and the contrast between his quick stride and the hikers in front of him.
    Maybe this thread has more relevance to busier trails or perhaps due to folks sharing the shelters.
    As far as MJ smokers.. I would say that at least 20% of the folks I met on the PCT smoked it. Besides the dude with the tobacco pipe I only met a couple of hikers that smoked cigarettes on trail.
    It is very easy to get away from the "crowd" on the PCT and you can hike and camp alone anytime you wish.
    I guess I don't understand where the conflict arises. I suppose next March when I begin my thru hike of the AT I will find out the answers.
    Personally if something bothers me about folks I meet I just hike on. I could care less about MJ smokers. Cigarette smoke kinda bugs me though. Personally I would not be comfortable confronting someone about their cigarette smoke. Maybe that makes me a chicken sh$#. I just think there is so much more to experience out on the trail, that wasting my time trying to regulate everyone elses behavior is meaningless.
    Wow, about 350 people thru hike the PCT a year. Maybe 40 people hike the CDT. The AT.. 3500? UH, I might be in for a culture shock!
    Well at any rate some of my favorite characters from the other trails were smokers and it was not a problem for me. Go ahead and Puff away cause I snore like a Bear anyway! This shelter thing is gonna be interesting!
    I have heard there are quite a few of them. That they have three walls. Also that folks crowd into them like sardines when it rains sometimes. This is gonna be trippy! Yeehaa!
    Headed in to town.. You gotta rock the down! -fellow hikers mantra

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    I would not be comfortable confronting someone about their cigarette smoke.
    People shouldn't put others in that position.

Images

You have the same right as you would sitting outside of a coffee shop/restaurant/whatever. None. It's outside so it's up to the smoker to be considerate and smoke away from others. I can't stand smoking inside a shelter anyway, especially if the wind is blowing into it.
    "A man is a success if he gets up in the morning and gets to bed at night, and in between he does what he wants to do."

-Bob Dylan

"Wow, about 350 people thru hike the PCT a year. Maybe 40 people hike the CDT. The AT.. 3500? UH, I might be in for a culture shock!"
    Hey Iceaxe; after the PCT I had the same thoughts about the AT, but I started on the early side (Feb 25th) this year and just basically kept the pace up such that --- in fact --- I found the AT to be less social than starting the PCT "with the herd" (day after the kickoff).

So start on the early side if you want less of that sort of culture shock.
    Me, I'm looking forward to being in the 40-some set next year ... :-)

O.B. comment about smoking (the actual thread): While on the one hand I'm not a smoking fan, OTOH it just doesn't seem like a big deal, and not too hard to deal with in the rare case that it became one. At the worst I think that it's generally not that hard to pack up and move on in the rare case that for whatever reason the situation at a shelter is unpleasant.
    Gadget
    PCT: 2008 NOBO, AT: 2010 NOBO, CDT: 2011 SOBO, PNT: 2014+2016

Images

I am a smoker...tho I dont really smoke in the shelter. I would not have a problem steppin away if politely asked.
    Keep close to Nature's heart... and break clear away, once in awhile, and climb a mountain or spend a week in the woods. Wash your spirit clean.-John Muir

Focus more on what you enjoy and less on what annoys you... You can't control others, only the way you respond...

And to the MJ comment, give it a rest, study after study has determined alcohol is by far the most damaging drug on the planet to both the user and society, so until that issue gets addressed, lay of the pot!

Quote Originally Posted by Different Socks View Post
    I don't like to be around smoke from tobacco products, not to mention that it makes it difficult to breath and stinks up my clothes with an odor I could do w/o.
    My question is this: If someone lit up at a shelter on the trail and it bothered you(breathing it, the smell, etc), how would you handle it? Would I have a right to demand that the person doesn't smoke in the shelter and to do it else where?
    I smoked away from the shelter on my thru. I have been smoking 2 cigarettes a day for several years. I wouldn't light a cig inside a shelter full of people, but I have smoked in empty shelters during the day at lunch.

Images

don't demand, just ask...to get reasonableness one must act reasonable themselves...i think the dalai lama said that...
    Check out my website: www.serialhiking.com

Registered User Different Socks's Avatar
    Images

Why have several of you opted for leaving the shelter if you do not like the smoke? Why allow yourselves to have to be put out jump b/c someone is smoking?

most smokers are inconsiderate. they don't care about their health so they sure don't care about anyone else's. i gave up dealing with Aholes in shelters years ago. best to avoid shelters. same for hostels

Images

probably because shelters are a public place...the same thing happens every year with thru hikers vs. thru hikers that snore...shelters are for everyone...typically, smokers understand, but you can't make them leave, so if it's so bad that you can't stand it, than you are probably the one that's gonna leave...
    Check out my website: www.serialhiking.com

Quote Originally Posted by Different Socks View Post
    I don't think it is wise to demand anything out on the trail. Big brother ain't there to protect you. You probably need to leave that mindset at the restaraunt before you hit the trail.

Clyde

It would bother me to be in a shelter with people smoking. I would leave. Actually, if I ever do the AT I plan not to stay in shelters if at all possible. It sounds awful. I hated group hotel rooms on the PCT and shelters sound worse.
    Some knew me as Piper, others as just Diane.
    I hiked the PCT: Mexico to Mt. Shasta, 2008. Santa Barbara to Canada, 2009.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++