WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Do you star gaze?

For years I have gazed at the stars while I am camped on the trail. I know some of the more common stars and constellations but I find myself looking at a star and wondering what it's name is and what constellation it is in, if any. I recently downloaded Google Sky to my droid and wala.. all I do is point my phone upward and I can identify stars, planets and all sorts of interesting info. I'm wondering if anybody else is using Google Sky and or does any star gazing.
    KK4VKZ -SOTA-SUMMITS ON THE AIR-
    SUPPORT LNT

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Good idea, esp for those out now hiking when it gets dark so early.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

I like printing out the free monthly Sky Maps from http://www.skymaps.com/downloads.html then just put them in a plastic page protector to carry outside. I find them easier to read than most planispheres.

If you scroll down to the bottom of the page they also have a podcast that explains what to look for in the night sky each month!

Journal Entries
    Images

I used to have an app for palm and for 8 years ago it was fair for what I wanted - visible eye astronomy... glad to hear there's a app for that now.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Stargazing really makes a person wonder. Sometimes I carry the little book, "Night Sky" with me to help me remember some of the stars in the Contellations. Makes me
    realize that our little planet is a dot on a dot on a dot.

Images

Jupiter has been interesting the past few months. When it first appeared rising in the east a couple months ago, I thought it was a plane.

Also I'm used to seeing the sky from a light-poluted area, when camping and I look at the night sky, it's difficult to recognize anything immediately because of the zillions more stars you can see. Can't wait for a winter overnighter. I think there are more interesting objects then.
    Simple is good.

Google Sky is fun. There's also an expensive but super iPhone/Touch (Pad?) app at the iTunes store; "SkySafari", previously called "SkyVoyager", which seems to have a couple textbooks worth of info. It'll open up with a picture of what you're looking at once you plug in your location.

FB
    "All persons are born free and have certain inalienable rights. They include the right to a clean and healthful environment..."

Article II, Section 3
    The Constitution of the State of Montana

Default Stargazing

It is a fun activity, but have only done stargazing when night hiking, years ago.

It helps to have others to reinforce the hobby, such as a local club. I attend this one: http://www.was-ct.org/ It's open to all.

Also "The Winter Star Party" in Marathon, Florida, is fun and reasonably-priced, and camping in available. http://www.scas.org/wsp.html

Images

Quote Originally Posted by beartripper View Post
    Stargazing really makes a person wonder. Sometimes I carry the little book, "Night Sky" with me to help me remember some of the stars in the Contellations. Makes me
    realize that our little planet is a dot on a dot on a dot.
    Yep, one day, we will find out we are just living in locker.

SMSP

Images

I love to stargaze. I usually end up making a nature call in the middle fo the night, and will spend a while once out of my tarp enjoying the night sky.

I also love to get up a short while before sunrise and watch the night sky, and eventually the sunrise. I did this two weeks ago at Gravel Springs Hut in SNP. Great Eastern view. I woke up, walked to the spring and made some hot tea (didn't want to disturb those in the shelter), then parked myself on the picnic table and enjoyed the view for about an hour. Really recharged my batteries.

I'm heading out to SNP for 2 1/2 days the weekend after Thanksgiving, and will spend one night at Gravel Springs Hut. I hope to be able to enjoy the same clear view once more.

A great time to be out when the Perseids meteor shower happens in August. Excellent show.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Spokes:
    I printed the evening skymap from skymaps.com for Sept., Oct., and Nov. It's interesting how the star and planets change position from month to month in the evening sky. I only wish that the site had drawings for early morning viewing. When I'm hiking that's when I do most of my star gazing. I can't sleep past about 4:00 am. I especially like the Sky Calendar. Taurid meteor shower peaked last night.
    KK4VKZ -SOTA-SUMMITS ON THE AIR-
    SUPPORT LNT

Images

I love that app on my droid too.

Quote Originally Posted by moytoy View Post
    Spokes:
    I printed the evening skymap from skymaps.com for Sept., Oct., and Nov. It's interesting how the star and planets change position from month to month in the evening sky. I only wish that the site had drawings for early morning viewing. When I'm hiking that's when I do most of my star gazing. I can't sleep past about 4:00 am. I especially like the Sky Calendar. Taurid meteor shower peaked last night.
    Yep, I really like the Sky Calendar. Check out the podcast, it's really cool too.

For all laptop users out there, the best FREE planetarium app I've found is Stellarium. It's a large download but well worth the space. You'll be blown away by all the features.

Be sure to review the wiki for set-up instructions for your particular location.

Enjoy!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by moytoy View Post
    For years I have gazed at the stars while I am camped on the trail. I know some of the more common stars and constellations but I find myself looking at a star and wondering what it's name is and what constellation it is in, if any. I recently downloaded Google Sky to my droid and wala.. all I do is point my phone upward and I can identify stars, planets and all sorts of interesting info. I'm wondering if anybody else is using Google Sky and or does any star gazing.
    I don't know if Titusville/Ocala was hit by those hurricanes years ago, but when everyones power was out and there was no light pollution, I've never seen a better night sky anywhere in the country. I wish there was some national holiday when everyone turns their lights out.
    Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit, and as vital to our lives as water and good bread.
    -Edward Abbey

Quote Originally Posted by Luddite View Post
    I don't know if Titusville/Ocala was hit by those hurricanes years ago, but when everyones power was out and there was no light pollution, I've never seen a better night sky anywhere in the country. I wish there was some national holiday when everyone turns their lights out.
    National Pellet Gun Day?

Registered User Different Socks's Avatar
    Images

Ever since I became an amateur astronomer, I enjoy looking at the stars every night I can, as well as pointing out some of things to others. It is astonishing to hear them realize that they were looking at Andromeda every time they saw Cassiopeia and never knew it was there.
    One night at Marcy Dam in the ADK's, I pointed out a satellite going by and it lit up like a strobe for several seconds. It took some thinking to realize I'd just witnessed my first tumbling satellite.

I can identify the big dipper, little dipper and the satellites circling earth (occasionally a planet or two, but hardly ever their names). I have always craned my neck in order to gaze at the sky, be it star filled or cloudy, ever since I was a young child. The stars (and the moon!) bring me incredible peace and I couldn't care less the names we have given them =)

Images

Right now is the best time to be star gazing. Because it is starting to get cold the sky is more clear. Also I personally see more shooting stars during the fall season. But I love star gazing when i'm out in the woods, you have less light polution and it is quiet. I only know a few constilations, I know how to spot plants and satalights, and have only seen one meteorite falling to earth.

Quote Originally Posted by Different Socks View Post
    .......... It took some thinking to realize I'd just witnessed my first tumbling satellite.
    ....... or an iridium flare perhaps?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++