WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Golite Pinnacle to Mariposa Plus

I have a Pinnacle and was thinking of buying the Mariposa Plus. Just wondering if there is anyone out there who has experience with both packs and give me the green light whether I should make the change. Thanks

BTW: I am totally happy with my pinnacle just looking to shave some more weight and maybe get a better ride. I never carry more than 25 lbs.

Hike smarter, not harder.

I like both of mine. A guy was telling me the frame on the Mariposa will work in the Pinnacle, but I haven't tried it yet. I use the Pinnacle for high volume, lightweight gear.
    Con men understand that their job is not to use facts to convince skeptics but to use words to help the gullible to believe what they want to believe - Thomas Sowell

I'd be really interested in hearing more about the Mariposa frame or other frames in the Pinnacle bag. I've been thinking of putting in a frame of some kind in my (yet unused) Pinnacle. I was thinking of the types of aluminum tubular frames discussed at
    http://www.backpacking-lite.co.uk/di...-backpack.html

There is a more complex version that they describe in a makeover of the GoLite Jam. (heavier too).

I've carried a Mariposa Plus for quite a few miles, have no experience with Golite packs.
    The newer Mariposa Plus models have, I believe, a different (curved) stay than the ones I'm used to.

Never carrying more than 25 pounds, I expect you'll be fine with the Mariposa Plus. I've since switched to a ULA Circuit, which is a heavier pack but a bit durable and with a couple of features I like --- waist belt pouches, and better adjustment options. Basically two things caused the switch; one is that the Mariposa Plus basically wore out, it's really true that you get maybe a thru-hike out of one of these and that's it. On both the Mariposa Plus models that I've worn out what caused me to move on was in the waist belt area, FWIW, but some definite wear elsewhere too.

So durability was one factor; my hiking partner on the AT this year switched out of his ULA to another ULA commenting that he had about 5000 miles on his old pack, which I kind of liked.

The other was that he observed that my Mariposa Plus was hanging back, tilted back with significant separation between my upper back and the pack, with no way to adjust that. With the ULA pack there is, and I guess it does ride better.
    Gadget
    PCT: 2008 NOBO, AT: 2010 NOBO, CDT: 2011 SOBO, PNT: 2014+2016

Hike smarter, not harder.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocketman View Post
    I'd be really interested in hearing more about the Mariposa frame or other frames in the Pinnacle bag. I've been thinking of putting in a frame of some kind in my (yet unused) Pinnacle.
    Maybe the guy on BPL who told me about using the Mariposa frame in the Pinnacle will post some pics. I'll try to post a link if he does.

Brian mentioned the Mariposa leaning back some; I had mine retrofitted with the curved aluminum stay, it solves that problem. I use my Mariposa more in the mountains. I use my ULA if I'm going to have to carry a lot of water (most of the time), or am hiking somewhere rocky/cactus-y (most of the time).
    Last edited by skinewmexico; 11-14-2010 at 16:58.
    Con men understand that their job is not to use facts to convince skeptics but to use words to help the gullible to believe what they want to believe - Thomas Sowell

i love the curved stay.- have no carry issues with sub 25 lb loads.
    recommended.

Don't take this as intending anything against GoLite or Gossamer Gear. They make some fine gear, IMO. I own and use gear manufactured by both companies. The packs you mention, if they work for you, can certainly be functional and fit your needs. However, if you keep your load at 25 lbs or less, do be aware that you have significantly broadened your possible UL backpack choices!

Default Mariposa

Quote Originally Posted by Bags4266 View Post
    I have a Pinnacle and was thinking of buying the Mariposa Plus. Just wondering if there is anyone out there who has experience with both packs and give me the green light whether I should make the change. Thanks

BTW: I am totally happy with my pinnacle just looking to shave some more weight and maybe get a better ride. I never carry more than 25 lbs.
    I have both packs and definitely prefer the Mariposa. The Pinnacle is definitely a great pack but it's pretty spartan on features (I have the model before they added hip belt pockets). To me, the back pocket isn't very functional because it's too thin. The side pockets are a little tight in my opinion too.

The Mariposa is a lot more practical in organization. The large front mesh pocket is more useful to me (can store more and can be used to carry a wet rain jacket or tent fly). I also really like the 3 different-sized mesh side pockets for easy access to gear on the trail. Probably my favorite feature is that you can use your sleeping pad as padding and also pull it out on the trail if you take a break and need a sitting pad.

I could go on and on about all the features but you get the idea. The Pinnacle is good, but has limited organizational features. The Mariposa is awesome if you like to have different options for organization.

I don't carry more than 25 pounds either and the Mariposa rides very comfortable to me. I have pushed it to over 30 a few times when I needed to haul water and it handled it decently.
    BackpackFlyfishing.com
    Tight lines, light packs!

Gear Talk with Jason Klass
    There is no such thing as having too many sporks!

++ New Posts ++