WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Gaiters---Yes or No

Planning on leaving Springer--NOBO--in March. Currently have most of my gear and clothing but uncertain on wether or not to take/purchase some Gaiters. Please give me your experience and/or suggestions on if I should purchase this piece of wear and if so which style or kind or best suited for the AT.
    Thanks in advance for the help.

They're hot. They chafe.

Images

If you're not hiking in ankle deep snow,then I don't see a point in the things. Some people like to wear knee-high gaiters with shorts...
    Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit, and as vital to our lives as water and good bread.
    -Edward Abbey

I used a pair of short OR's last year. They helped keep the debris out of your shoes and deflected some of the ticks too. Keep 'em packed if it's too hot.

no need for gaiters

Images

I've been wondering the same thing...Do they help with rain to not soak to your boots when it rains everyday in Maine? Also I will be hiking in a little bit of snow would I need them?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by C Seeker View Post
    I've been wondering the same thing...Do they help with rain to not soak to your boots when it rains everyday in Maine? Also I will be hiking in a little bit of snow would I need them?
    If it is raining every day, there really isn't anything that will keep your boots dry.

Quote Originally Posted by Luddite View Post
    If you're not hiking in ankle deep snow,then I don't see a point in the things.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    no need for gaiters
    I agree with these guys.

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

I wouldn't bother. They contribute to blisters. I sent mine home in '07 at Neels Gap.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

yes in the winter if there is snow. maybe in the summer on sandy beach walks but on the AT I don't bother

Quote Originally Posted by C Seeker View Post
    Mechanically speaking, to keep water out of your boots your gaiters have to be under waterproof pants which have to be under a waterproof parka (shingle effect). Gaiters on bare legs won't keep water from running down your skin and into your socks. They may help a bit on wet grass, but I'm with most of the folks here. Gaiters are for use in snow, with waterproof boots, under waterproof pants, etc. (you get the idea).
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Images

I sectioned through the GSMNP this summer and it is the first time I wished I had gaitors. I like to get hiking early in the a.m. (notice my trail name), and although it was nice sunny day, my feet would get soaked from all the dew. I especially remember my feet getting soaked going over Mt. Buckley early in the morning. The tall grass is really bad. I still probably won't get a pair. I just don't feel like carrying them. In similar terrain (where this is a lot of grass), I'll probably just start later in the morning, allowing the sun to dry things out a little more.
    Soli Deo Gloria

Images

I always hike with my REI Desert gaiters. They are short, light and breathe very well. I have never had any blisters from them. When hiking in wet grass it helps a lot. In drier condishions it helps keep debris out of my boots. I love them and always hike with them.

Images

I will always wear knee high gaiters from now one when I'm using crampons. I prefer to wear them in deep snow like when I'd be wearing snowshoes. I may also wear them when bushwhacking through thorny brush. I don't think they're worth it in the rain. If anything, I'd modify my rain pants with some sort of strap or clasp so it securely covers the top of my footwear.

Like most things, you need to find out for yourself if you like them, but I used to wear them, but not any longer for alot of the reasons already listed here.
    "I told my Ma's and Pa's I was coming to them mountains and they acted as if they was gutshot. Ma, I sez's, them mountains is the marrow of the world and by God, I was right". Del Gue

Quote Originally Posted by double d View Post
    Like most things, you need to find out for yourself if you like them, but I used to wear them, but not any longer for alot of the reasons already listed here.
    This is true. I didn't start out hiking with gaiters, but after 1,000 miles I broke down and bought a pair when I got to harper's ferry. I was just sick of the sweat and dirt making mud in my boots. We all have our handicaps

I wear them for one reason; keep debris (peebles, dirt, twigs...) out of my boots.

The cheap ankle-high gaiters are perfect for me, something like these (they only cost ~$20) http://www.rei.com/product/721674

If you're the type of hiker that does not get debris in your shoes as you hike, then gaiters are useless, but if you're like me, they are essential. For some reason I can't walk without kicking up crap, and it all lands in my boots.

P.S. If you notice in the link above, gaiters have a string that goes under the boot. I can't count how many times I had to replace that string in rocky terrain, i.e. from Pennsylvania north. I stopped replacing the string and the gaiters work just fine.

As for gortex, I've never bought them and wouldn't recommend them since your feet will get wet regardless. I once hiked in gortex hiiking boots, didn't like them, feet still got wet either from rain down the legs or sweat; the same thing will happen with gaiters on -- they're only for keeping out debris.

Garlic
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by double d View Post
    Ditto this.

I really think some people like them because they make you look like a "real" hiker.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

Images

I use them. I have the old OR Flex-Tex Low. They don't make them anymore. You can still get the ones that come up a little higher.

I started using them hiking the Florida Trail, primarily to keep out tics. I wear long nylon hiking pants, tuck them into the gaiters, and spray the gaiters with DEET and Chig-Out to keep the tics and chiggers off my legs.

I noticed right away that they had the added benefit of keeping debris, rocks, and sand out of my shoe. I got so used to them that I now wear them on AT section hikes.

Personally, I don't think they look cool at all. In fact, they make you look downright dorky. They also don't "make you look like a hiker" because almost no one wears them. I use them because they work for what I want them to do.

I recommend trying them at least to see whether you prefer the dorky look to stopping periodically to get the rocks out of your shoe. If you don't like them, send them home. Don't worry, if you do send them home they won't be the only thing in the box. You'll probably have about 5 or 10 pounds of other stuff you find you don't want to carry.

Hike on!

Rainman

Now I see the secret of the making of the best persons,
    It is to grow in the open air and to eat and sleep with the earth.

- Walt Whitman: Leaves of Grass; Song of the Open Road.

I use the Integral Designs eVent Shortie Gaiters. I have had no problems wearing them in warm-hot weather and now when I'm hiking my socks stay nice and clean instead of getting dirt, bark, rocks, etc in them. I find that when I'm hiking in rain my boots are much more likely to pick up debris than when it's dry out. So even though I don't normally wear rain pants the gaiters help with keeping me MUCH more comfortable when hiking.

I use them in the spring. Keeps the pants legs from getting all muddy. Knee high gaiters and a rain skirt work as well as rain pants - maybe better. I use a pair of gaiters made of light wieght nylon.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++