WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    See you at Springer, Winter 09' Chance09's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mizirlou View Post
    They're hot. They chafe.
    This seems like a very narrow minded opinon seeing as not all gaiters are made of the same material or length.

I wear gaiters every time I hike because it keeps debrie out of my socks and shoes thus preventing more blisters and chaffing. The ones I wear are only ankle high, highly breathable, and not hot at all.

I wore them through the mojave desert on the PCT this year and they didn't bother me at all.

For some reason not too many people on the AT know about Dirty Girl Gaiters. They're super lightweight, no more than 3 ounces for the pair and they come in tons of different colors and patterns. I went with the Giardia style pattern.

I highly recommend giving them a try. They only cost around $15 dollars and each one bundles up to about the size of a squished tissue.

Unlike most gaiters they don't have a string that attaches underneath the shoes and saves you the problem about having to replace that after a few weeks of wear and tear. They attach to your laces in the front and some velcro on the back of your shoe.

I have mine rigged so that I can even wear them with my Vibrams.
    AT - Georgia to Maine '09
    PCT - Mexico to Canada '10
    CDT - Canada to Mexico '11

Think of what soldiers and Marines wore in their amphibious assaults during World War II. They wore canvas gaiters over their boondockers, a medium rise boot with an open top. There were no illusions that the gaiters were waterproof, or would keep water out of a boot. Their purpose was to keep debris and mud out of the boot. Dirty socks and rocks mean blisters, and a soldier or Marine that stopped to dump out the rocks or change socks was at risk of being shot, or holding up his unit. Keeping trouser legs clean was a bonus - dirt means disease in some parts of the world.

Experience on the trail counts for a lot, and there is good gear and not-so good gear. Think about your trail conditions, your footwear, and your attire. If you take gaiters and don't like them, bounce them, send them home, or put them in the hiker box for someone else to use. And do you really care what you look like on a thru-hike?

Images

I never really wore them on the AT but when I was heading to Alaska I bought low ones because people told me how wet everything is up there. I must admit they helped when bushwhacking and stream crossings. On the one hike ya had to cross several streams and a couple of them were deeper than my boot tops. Well my friend switched his shoes at each crossing while I just walked thru the water and believe it or not they kept the water out of my boots. My socks stayed dry and feet stayed happy. Anymore I think I will carry them with me when I am hiking. I would say they are worth the money, for me they were.
    "I drank what?" Socrates

I may wear gators in areas where I will be hiking through a lot of sand/snow. But for normal AT hiking I find them to be completely useless.
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

Journal Entries
    Images

Default Gaiters ?

I had a pr. of gaiters before my thru. It was one of the items I decided to leave home and not take. In early spring going NOBO during rainey days I would wear rain pants. When it got warmer I didn't wear them so I sent them home and got my gaiters. They were nice to have and I would wear them, knee high, in the morning when it was cool and the grass along the trail was wet. I also would wear them when I hiked in the rain. They were Gortex and seemed to help to keep water out of my boots. I am alergic to poison ivy and in several sections of the trail poison ivy was all along the trail so I would wear my gaiters to protect my lower legs.
    I sent them home from Harpers Ferry and didn't use them again. I guess it's up to you to decide if you need them or not.
    Grampie-N->2001

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by ChinMusic View Post
    I may wear gators in areas where I will be hiking through a lot of sand/snow. But for normal AT hiking I find them to be completely useless.
    Didn't they bite?
    "Keep moving: death is very, very still."
    ---Lily Wagner (nee Hennessy)

Quote Originally Posted by mkmangold View Post
    Didn't they bite?
    Mine claw.
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by rsmout View Post
    And do you really care what you look like on a thru-hike?
    No. Well, um, yeah - to some degree.
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

Default Fashionistas

Bling’ed out! Thanx for the fab photo, buzz.

Quote Originally Posted by Chance09 View Post
    This seems like a very narrow minded opinon...they come in tons of different colors and patterns. I went with the Giardia style pattern.
    Jeez now that I know they come in fashionable hues, I’ll reconsider.

13-45 Section Hiker Trash
    Images

Default Love the Dirty Girls

Quote Originally Posted by Chance09 View Post
    For some reason not too many people on the AT know about Dirty Girl Gaiters. They're super lightweight, no more than 3 ounces for the pair and they come in tons of different colors and patterns. I went with the Giardia style pattern.
    I know about them and I love 'em...white skulls with red eyes on black pattern here...get a lot of comments on them. I like the giardia one too...may order a second pair in that pattern.

To answer the OP, I agree with most others here. "Normal" gaiters are too hot, and will just slow down the process of saturating your shoes or boots in the rain. The Dirty Girl gaiters are made out of a light weight nylon spandex material that breathes well. They are solely for the purpose of keeping debris out of your shoes, which is a huge problem for me (I seem to kick stuff into the opposite shoe each time I take a step). I wear trail runners by the way. If you don't tend to get debris in your shoes then going with no gaiters should be fine.

The one condition where normal gaiters do have a place is in snow. I wear them in snow to keep the snow from filling up my boots (yeah I wear boots in snow...deep snow that is).

Images

Quote Originally Posted by mkmangold View Post
    Didn't they bite?
    I would think so. Thats going a little too far to keep dirt out of your boots.
    Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit, and as vital to our lives as water and good bread.
    -Edward Abbey

I wore the cheap( not Gore-Tex) OR long gaiters on my thru. True, they won't keep rain out of your shoes or boots, but they do help keep your socks and legs clean. Also, I never got bee stings after the yellow jackets went in the ground in the Fall. I will probably wear long gaiters again next year, but mine are now black sweat pants cut off to 18 inches and turned upside down with the stretchy ankle part just below my knees. I don't try to secure them under my shoe. I cut it so that it blouses over my shoe.This is the only item of cotton that I will carry. Just as others have said, some like them and some don't.

litefoot 2000

I think in most cases they're more of a fashion accessory than anything else. I do have a set of waterproof low gaiters, but only find them worth the hassle of strapping them on when I'm wearing shorts (just to keep rocks out of the top of my trail runners).

Images

I more like them than not, I hike in low-top shoes and they do keep the crud out of your shoes, socks - overall more + then -. Have never had blisters, etc. My gaiters are low top and really light. Outdoor Research.

Picture takes my breath away.

winter use only in snow

Images

Take your socks, and fold them on the outside of your trail runner or boots ... Debris problem solved. "Clean socks" ? Seriously? You're thru-hiking ... whats clean?

Quote Originally Posted by Hog On Ice View Post
    winter use only in snow
    I agree.
    In the winter snow I where gators, long undies and shorts. During the summer I only wear shorts.
    Attachment 9451 These are hikers and none of them are wearing gaitors. I rest my case.
    Last edited by superman; 11-20-2010 at 20:10.

Images

Default Em' Gaiters

I done did worn me a pair O' em' gaiters bet part O' 2000 miles back in 09. En back there in 96 I worn a pair too likewise for right bout 900 miles. See, them gaiters is a right like personal thing. I like em' real good and they do me no wrong doin' neither.
    See, they keep mud an dirt off my calve leg parts an in muddy sloggin' conditions (ya know..the AT) they keep my socks from getting more dirtier than need be gettin. Them gaiters cover up a good part of my boots and that keeps them laces from getting all dirt muddy. Mornin dew on them blades o grass don't get my boots and legs all wet and cold yukky and ticks and such varmin critter type critters don't seem much to care for the spray stuff I give a heapin' dose to my gaiters now an again.
    I don't get little rocks an twigs and other junk nasties down inside my booties an I deem them gaiters as a standard piece of my hike walkin' attire. Tarnation sakes, I think them gaiters is a might fine, damn sexxxxy piece of equipment.
    "Going to the woods is going home" - John Muir

"Only by going alone in silence, without baggage, can one truely get into the heart of the wilderness" - John Muir

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Ramble~On View Post
    I done did worn me a pair O' em' gaiters bet part O' 2000 miles back in 09. En back there in 96 I worn a pair too likewise for right bout 900 miles. See, them gaiters is a right like personal thing. I like em' real good and they do me no wrong doin' neither.
    See, they keep mud an dirt off my calve leg parts an in muddy sloggin' conditions (ya know..the AT) they keep my socks from getting more dirtier than need be gettin. Them gaiters cover up a good part of my boots and that keeps them laces from getting all dirt muddy. Mornin dew on them blades o grass don't get my boots and legs all wet and cold yukky and ticks and such varmin critter type critters don't seem much to care for the spray stuff I give a heapin' dose to my gaiters now an again.
    I don't get little rocks an twigs and other junk nasties down inside my booties an I deem them gaiters as a standard piece of my hike walkin' attire. Tarnation sakes, I think them gaiters is a might fine, damn sexxxxy piece of equipment.
    Thought there for a minute i was reading a script from "brother were art tho" .... hike your own hike ... give um a try, like he said its all personal preference ... I don't think anyone looks goofier on the trail than smith in that picture ... but i bet he wouldn't have it any other way ... Cheers, and happy hiking!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++