WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default The Backcountry Boiler by "the boilerwerks"

I came across this cooking system while on another forum yesterday. It is a chimney kettle that Devin Montgomery has been working on for a few months and is now in limited production. It is a pretty lightweight wood burning cooking system, that quite frankly, looks great IMO. I must say that I am impressed and if I knew that I wouldn't get in loads of trouble asking my wife for more money for gear right now I would be all over it!

Anyway, I encourage everyone to take a look at it because I feel like you would be just as impressed as I am. And maybe go ahead and order one, but if yo choose to do so you had better make it quick. He is doing the ordering in batches and right now it is 100. Last tiime I checked he was up to 76 or so sold. Anyway, here is the site:

http://www.theboilerwerks.com/

Images

Any idea why he doesn't make 50 and ship those and go from there? I think dragging his feet is what caused the problems with someone in the UK to copy his kettle.

Maybe he's sourcing them out and has to wait for the 100 quantity to get best price from his source.

There are many chomping at the bit waiting for their kettle to arrive.

Email him and tell him to get off dead center

Springer-->Stony Brook Road VT MedicineMan's Avatar
    Images

Yep I'm one of them chompers of the bit! Actually I realize its fledgling cottage gear-one may never see the boiler but I ordered two to support American ingenuity and his perspicacity. Maybe his delays caused the British copycat..matters not, we know who started it-well those of us who have been following it since the incarnation...and if the reports are true the 'real' Montgomery kettle will weigh substantially less. I'm already calling it the 'Monty' and if you visit his blog you'll see that today pre-orders passed 101.
    Start out slow, then slow down.

Images

I'll get in on the second order. I wanted it for a trip during the first half of next month, but that's not to be. I didn't want to order now and rob anyone of the opportunity to use it in the very near future. I normally don't even bring any sort of cookware, so this is just a way to better stock my gear closet and support the cottage industry....even though there's a chance that I'll never use it on the trail. It does look like a very nice piece of gear for those that do cook.

Images

I just read on Hammockforums.com that he's sourcing them out. All this time I was under the impression he was doing the spinning.

Here is the full info on that project.
    http://www.theboilerwerks.com/about/
    if you click on those red links you can read the 'history" of this kettle.
    Franco

Neat concept. Don't suspect I'd ever want or need a "kettle only" system though.

I have in the past, and still use the "Kelly Kettle" for car camping. The Kelly Kettle is too heavy for backpacking, so this potentially could be something I may use in the future.
    "If we had to pay to walk... we'd all be crazy about it."
    --Edward Payson Weston

I ordered one for several reasons.
    First.. it's a new toy to play with
    Second , it may replace my beloved Caldera Cone (the 550ml mug version) as I think that it can do the same for me (I only boil ..)
    I plan to try an alcohol stove with it, and wood where possible.
    Third , I admire Devin's dedication and stamina and well, I am crap at details so I appreciate when others can do what I am not patient enough to do.
    I wish that I could buy stuff like that here rather than sending money over there all the time though.
    Franco

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Franco View Post
    I wish that I could buy stuff like that here rather than sending money over there all the time though.
    Us Yanks do appreciate you helping to offset the ginormous U.S. trade deficit, however!
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

Hike smarter, not harder.

I've been using extraordinary control to not order one........it's a first for me......
    Con men understand that their job is not to use facts to convince skeptics but to use words to help the gullible to believe what they want to believe - Thomas Sowell

I've been using extraordinary control to not order one, yet

There you have it. I finished the sentence for you. Sleep well.
    Franco

Images

Getting one later may result in further weight savings. A pro for procrastination?

Here is a video of a trial use of the boiler at a recent Florida camping trip.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S1Ztghrhkls
    KK4VKZ -SOTA-SUMMITS ON THE AIR-
    SUPPORT LNT

Images

Default Capacity and stats?

I looked this over, but did not see what the capacity of the boiling water was.

On the trail, I mainly do freezer bag cooking, and very little simmering, so this may be an option for me. I would also be intersted in the weight.

Any good info?

The info is on their web site theboilerwerks.com but I believe the max water is 20 oz and the weight is 8 oz. This unit is sold out currently and he only makes 100 at a time so waiting for one is the key here.
    SUPPORT LNT

Cost? (didn't see on website)

Because of the way the project developed at Backpackinglight (lots of feedback to Devin from the usual suspects...) Devin offered the first batch at cost with the option of adding a tip ...
    The first 100 have not shipped out as yet, once they do he will then consider what to do with the next lot.
    I imagine that after the machine shop made a few prototypes and refined the process it is now easier to replicate.
    (BTW, making those "kettles" is a lot harder than it seems. I challenged an habitual loud mouth at another forum to make one, as usual a lot of talk but no action ...)
    The first batch should be just under 8 oz and it does hold 20oz however you need to leave a bit for boil over so practically you can boil 18 oz in it.
    That is eally the same as my existing Caldera Cone 550ml set up.
    As for price, the heavier (13oz) but otherwise almost identical English copy avaliable at Ti Goat is $82, so I would expect that Devin's version will be around $99....
    Franco

I received an e-mail from Devin today. He states that the next available stoves will be through an online retailer. The anouncement hasn't been made yet but he expects the cost to be about $100.
    SUPPORT LNT

Never heard of Kickstart or kickstarter- a funding site. Pretty cool. It looks like Devin is off and running another order of new and improved boilers. The funding goal has been met and orders are still open. Like $60 bucks for the stripped down bare bones model. I can't see it being that big of a deal to figure out a lifter. Just sayin.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++