WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Car Camp the AT

Default Car Camp the AT

Anyone interested in car camping the entire AT in 2011?

Quote Originally Posted by homeless View Post
    More details????????????????????????????????????????

Journal Entries
    Images

Having given that much thought - and the fact I still have to work - my - A** off...

Yes! What have you planned up to now....?
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

yes! love too. meet you anywhere. but i have no money and am totaly gonna mooch anything you have out of hunger ,. so,....no. but thanks!

I am curious to hear your plan for the car camping the AT.

El Sordo
    Images

you can slack from Springer to Fontana, getting through the Smokies might be a challenge.
    Dyslexics Untie!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by homeless View Post
    Using a car for shelter isn't a bad idea, but I'm wondering how you will carry it down the trail. Plus, the ultra-lighters, not to mention us everything-plus-the-kitchen-sink packers would look down their noses at you.

Maybe one of those one-seater Metro cars?
    Old Hiker
    AT Hike 2012 - 497 Miles of 2184
    AT Thru Hiker - 29 FEB - 03 OCT 2016 2189.1 miles
    Just because my teeth are showing, does NOT mean I'm smiling.
    Hányszor lennél inkább máshol?

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Old Hiker View Post
    Using a car for shelter isn't a bad idea, but I'm wondering how you will carry it down the trail. Plus, the ultra-lighters, not to mention us everything-plus-the-kitchen-sink packers would look down their noses at you.

Maybe one of those one-seater Metro cars?

I wouldn't care about that, its the plan - You have to drop a vehical off at one point and drive to the other. Hike to the first vehical - then drive/pedal back to get to bed. And the Benifit? a very light pack. Disadvantage- the trip back on back roads.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    I wouldn't care about that, its the plan - You have to drop a vehical off at one point and drive to the other. Hike to the first vehical - then drive/pedal back to get to bed. And the Benifit? a very light pack. Disadvantage- the trip back on back roads.

You can use the 'two hikers, one vehicle' method. One guy drives in the morning to get the car farther north on the trail and hikes south, passing off the keys to his northbound companion, who reaches the car in the evening and drives back to pick up the original driver.
    ~Happiness is only real when shared~

Default Plan

Jokers can waste their time & comment all they want; however, this is a serious post

There are many ways to successfully hike the AT via car camp. If interested in hiking the AT & using your vehicle as a base, email [email protected]

Quote Originally Posted by home_less View Post
    Jokers can waste their time & comment all they want; however, this is a serious post

There are many ways to successfully hike the AT via car camp. If interested in hiking the AT & using your vehicle as a base, email [email protected]
    A serious post by a home less guy who may want to use YOUR vehicle as home base for a few months. I don't think anybody was making fun of you personally- just thinking of all the possibilities. And how much you'd be spending on gas as well as food.

You could do a solo pickup/motorcycle hike without a key swap too by driving the truck forward each morniing, hiking back to the bike and riding the bike back to the truck where you could either move both forward or spend a 2nd night at the same site before driving out the next morning.

Warren Doyle has mapped out the start/end road crossing points for each day for his circle hikes. Not sure if this info is still on the web, but could always ask Warren for it if it's not.

For this plan to work, you really need a driver. Two hikers going in opposite directions each day could work, but you'd loose a lot of time. In many areas, it may take only 15-20 miles to connect two roads by trail, but to get from one to the other by car could take 100 miles.

Lets see. In the morning hiker "A" and hiker "B" are at the same place. Hiker "A" drives hiker "B" to the northen road to hike south. Hiker "A" then drives back to the southern starting point to hike north. You just lost at least 2 hours on average there. Then when hiker "B" gets to the car, he drives it back to the northen road crossing, losing another hour.

Now since your driving through towns almost every day, there's the temptation to get breakfist or dinner at a resturant as you pass through. Or go get a motel room every night it rains, cause you have a way to get to one. So, I could see this costing 3-4 times what an average thru hike would cost.

Wasn't there someone trying to put together a car suttle hike like this for 2010? Wonder if it happend and if so, how far they got?
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Warren Doyle has mapped out the start/end road crossing points for each day for his circle hikes.
    If Warren would be willing to share that information, I'd love to see it.

theres big danger in doing what you plan dear dear homey.each year, some of our more enthusiastic hikers choose to hike several long slacks useing rides to facilitate there return to the place they started. its fun to pass my friends hiking on a day there doing this. they all have small day packs. some have a water bottle and a bannana in hand and hike in tee shirts .but as they only do this very seldomly, their is allways a day when a hiker, or a group starts on one of these slacks , and gets tired, hurt or overcome by weather. and though the hikers use great judgement choosing the time and place to do these hikes, their is allways a day,...when hell freezes and you need your gear and or cant make the pick up point or in your case, dont have the energy to drive after hiking. maby you need to eat. maby its so wet and colsd and windy you just have a horrible walk. but in my opinion, doing more than a few dozen of these type days will result in many horrid hikes adding up to a hatetred of hiking. car hiking aint feesable due to saftey and comfrot concerns. period. safty first. then hiking. then carides.
    matthewski

Images

Another way to do this (and I saw a guy doing it) is to let your wife/husband/significant other shop during the day and meet you at the road crossings. Could get expensive if they shop like my wife.
    I'm not really a hiker, I just play one on White Blaze.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Blazer View Post
    Another way to do this (and I saw a guy doing it) is to let your wife/husband/significant other shop during the day and meet you at the road crossings. Could get expensive if they shop like my wife.

I know a couple who were going to do the PCT that way. She would drive their car pulling a travel trailer while he hiked. I would imagine a big component of any of these plans is finding someone you trust who won't bail on you.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

I think the best way is to have a driver who meets you every night or two.
    There will be times when you still will want to camp out because of logistics, driver getting lost or not showing up at the same time/place as you.
    So, you should have some lightweight gear available in case you have to sleep out at all times.
    But, it can work. I have seen others do it and have done it myself.

My advice: Both driver and hiker (or add more for other hikers) each have a GPS with the same coordinates or meeting point put in each day. That way there is no confusion although breakdowns or getting lost still can happen, but at least you won't be waiting 200 meters apart and both thinking you are in the correct spot. That can suck.
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams

Images

I've done that. It is expensive!

Images

I had a person steel my credit card. He charged so much less than my wife, I didn't bother to report it.
    If you find yourself in a fair fight; your tactics suck.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by sheepdog View Post
    I had a person steel my credit card. He charged so much less than my wife, I didn't bother to report it.
    Dam ...
    I'm not really a hiker, I just play one on White Blaze.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++