WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default How to write and post trailjournals

I like to keep and post a trailjournal. I have found that for me, the best method has been to hand write notes for my journal each night at camp and at the end of the hike to use those notes to write and edit the journal on Word, copy it and post to trailjournals. I really like my word journals which I print out and place in folders, they make for very enjoyable nostalgic reading for me in later years. My journals so far have been for hikes of 3 to 6 weeks in duration.
    My upcoming AT hike will likely be 6 months so the task of writing the whole thing on Word at the end of the hike would likely be too enormous a task to get done.
    My question: Is there a device on the market which would enable me to type and edit my journal into a word processor while on the hike. Ideally it would be stored on a USB drive which would enable me to easily and quickly post to trailjournals when I reach trail towns and make use of library or hotel computers and also enable me to print my hardcopy when I finish the hike.
    Ideally this device would have a decent size keyboard, low power consumption, run on AA or AAA batteries, be lightweight and robust.
    I am quite behind the times on cell and communication technology, Does such a device exist or does something similar exist.

A lot of hikers use to use a device called Pocketmail but I think it's old (defunct)technology now. I'm sure you'll get some suggestions from other tech savy WhiteBlazer's. The weight of anything other than a smartphone isn't worth it to me.

What I did last year is have a friend act as my transcriber back home. I kept a paper journal and bought a bunch of memory cards for my camera. When I got into town, I'd mail my paper copies and memory card to him. He'd transcribe my daily pages to my online journal, upload pictures, then mail back the memory card(s) to a scheduled maildrop. It worked great, especially since he backed up everything.

The problem with most public library computers is they prohibit connecting external devices.

I'll be interested following this thread to see what options other suggest......

yes there are devices. many types to choose from. for an email to post directly to trail journels from just a fairly good cell phone is conveinient if your posts are short like a thousand or two charicters. and drafts can be saved untill service is available. and they can send automatic whenever their is a signal if you like. without haveing to resend or go in town. for anything more involved a palm pilot will work. that would have shorter batt life i belive. my sprint 400 $ phone, the rant, has two batts and is very durable. the unlimited data pack is 15. gps is 10. all together with all my features i pay a hunit.and i charge solar with a very light charger from blackburn called the flee. i neither make calls hiking or gps or go online or journel. it is just first aid equiptment to me.

This will get you started - http://www.neo-direct.com/default.aspx
    ~
    When Restless Legs thru-hiked the AT this year, he would journal each night and then call me every few days to leave a voice message of his journal entries .. that I used to update his online journal.
    ~
    I would probably just use the computer that I'm typing this on .. a Fujitsu UH900 .. while laying in one of my hammocks.
    Backpacking light, feels so right.

How about using Google Docs? If each night you write down your events, then when you get into town you can transcribe them into Google Docs. From there, you could copy and paste into trailjournals, and print at a later date.

Images

I would think that some smart phones would have a decent word processing application. If you don't already have a smart phone and don't want to waste your money on one, then a Peek Pronto may be good enough. You can edit up until the time you send it. If you get a Peek, I highly recommend you CC yourself that way you have verification that your message was sent.

For the first 100 miles of my hike I carried a Fujitsu U820. It is a full fledged computer that is also a tablet. It has a high resolution screen like you would find on a full size laptop, but squeezed into a 5.6" frame and a body that weighed only about 1.5 pounds. It didn't work as well as I hoped. The first problem was my fault. I couldn't figure out how to install the driver software for the keyboard light, and this made typing my journals at night much more difficult. Also, I never got used to the tiny keyboard. Eventually I had to bounce it from town to town because I switched to a smaller pack that couldn't fit it. If I were to carry a computer again, the only small computer I would consider is the HP Slate 500. It has a touchscreen, so I could thumb text my journal, but it also has an excellent stylus that would make handwriting a nice experience, although I recommend against the hassle of trying to convert handwriting to text because it's much easier to keep the original handwriting until later...maybe have someone at home do that.

As for AA's... There's no direct solution. I used a Powerfilm USB/AA solar charger on my hike. It charges two AA batteries, and when those were full and still under the sun, it would also charger my Peek Pronto. It was used unsuccessfully on my cell phone, although I think that was the fault of my cell phone or the cable I used. It was never tried on the Fujitsu, although that thing easily had 10+ hours of powered-on battery life.

Yes, a smartphone can be a good way to go, and if like me you really like something akin to a real keyboard, a folding bluetooth (i.e. wireless) keyboard that works for the phone. If your cell phone plan includes internet service, you can upload your journal entries from on-trail.
    This is what I've done on two thru-hikes now, it's worked fine.

I don't suggest a solar charger on the AT; there are lots of places along the AT to recharge batteries, just bring your charging cord and, I suggest, select a phone that has a replaceable battery and carry a spare.

I wrote up some thoughts about selecting a smartphone for long distance trips a couple of years ago; I think most of what I wrote is still plenty relevant, even though the specific technology keeps changing. (for example, I recently switched phones, I'll be bringing a Droid X with me on the CDT next year)
    Gadget
    PCT: 2008 NOBO, AT: 2010 NOBO, CDT: 2011 SOBO, PNT: 2014+2016

Registered User DrRichardCranium's Avatar
    Journal Entries

I kept my blog on postholer.com ( http://postholer.com/tbrann ) which you can update with a simple email and an attached photo. I used a Droid and carried an extra battery.
    "Katahdin barada nikto."

Quote Originally Posted by RichardD View Post
    My question: Is there a device on the market which would enable me to type and edit my journal into a word processor while on the hike.

Ideally this device would have a decent size keyboard, low power consumption, run on AA or AAA batteries, be lightweight and robust.
    Just about any smart phone you get today will cover your requirements. Battery life would be the most important question. Additionally, you may want a larger, portable keyboard, either USB or Bluetooth, depending on your device.

If you're not adamant about using TJ's, check out postholer journals, as DrRichardCranium mentioned. Not only can you send an entry/photo directly into your journal using a simple email, there is a mobile version of the site for easy use with small screen devices.

The site also has integrated google maps with your journal and a whole slew of other features.

-postholer

Images

Default Iphone worked well on the CDT

I got an Iphone for the CDT to serve as both a cell phone, a journal device and an internet link. The Android would work in similar fashion and has the advantage of being available with carriers other than AT&T. IIRC Verizon had much better service than AT&T on the Appalachian Trail. I used the notes function and wrote my journal each evening. By turning the phone sideways, I got a little larger keyboard on the touch screen and was able to use my thumbs to type at a reasonable speed. When I got to town there was usually Wifi available. I used the Iphone's browser to access Trailjournals.com and copied the journal text from the Notes function into the browser.

Until I took a swim in the Gila River, I had a supplemental battery for the Iphone, but found I had enough juice in the built in battery for up to 7 days. I always had the phone in airplane mode while on the trail and had the "location" feature turned off. I also powered the phone down after typing up my journals.
    Handlebar
    GA-ME 06; PCT 08; CDT 10,11,12; ALT 11; MSPA 12; CT 13; Sheltowee 14; AZT 14, 15; LT 15;FT 16;NCT-NY&PA 16; GET 17-18

Woa, Handlbar as a tech guy, challenging to wrap my head around that one ... ;-)

So I've recently taken the plunges to switch to the Verizon network. Do you have any sense for which network is best on the CDT? I'm assuming that Verizon will rule there too, but also speculating that cell service by any provider will be a lot thinner on the ground than it was on the AT or PCT. Perhaps like Maine on the AT, or OR/WA on the PCT ? (i.e., not a lot)

I realize you had AT&T service, but it would be interesting to know if you got actual cell service much, in trail towns or wherever. It's certainly good, however, to see that you usually got wi-fi service, as that's definitely my backup plan, to include using skype mobile to talk if there's no Verizon service.

It would be nice if someone accumulated CDT connection data that way Halfmile has for the PCT. Heck, if you happen to remember which trail towns had wi-fi, and where it was ... (to include perhaps selecting between different cheap motel options)
    Gadget

Quote Originally Posted by BrianLe View Post
    Heck, if you happen to remember which trail towns had wi-fi, and where it was ... (to include perhaps selecting between different cheap motel options)
    Here are a few maps showing nationwide 3G service for different carriers. It's no surprise that Verizon is way ahead.

You'll find many of these types of maps (google even) on the internet, just google them.

-postholer

Thanks for the input, I have something to work with now.
    The Neo would be just what I need if it weighed a few ounces instead of 1.75lbs.
    Peep sounds as though it would work admirably, e mail version only, not interested in texting and I think its $14 per month with no contract. There seems to be a problem with service but perhaps this will be resolved before March.
    A PDA likely would also do the job, I need to find one and take a look.

"You'll find many of these types of maps (google even) on the internet, just google them."
    Yup, I did that before picking AT&T for my last phone. The trick is knowing how really accurate those maps are in the backcountry. What's a whole lot better is the list that Halfmile has accumulated of specific places along the trail where folks have reported getting good (or not so good) signal strength, what trail towns have wi-fi, etc.

Certainly Verizon was at least as good as AT&T on the PCT in 2008, and it was clearly better than AT&T on the AT this year, at least south of the Mason-Dixon line and in the most northern parts, i.e. NH and ME.
    Gadget

GA-ME 2011
    Images

So I'll be getting a new phone shortly and one the things I need is a way to post on TJ. Will the Droid or Iphone be better?

"Better" in what way? A Droid on the Verizon network might give more opportunities to connect on the trail than an Iphone on the AT&T network. A droid with a replaceable battery will allow you to carry one or perhaps even two spare batteries.
    I just got a Droid X for these sorts of reasons, but it really boils down to what particular downsides you're concerned about and how exactly you intend to use the device and your priorities for the various functionality. Related are available applications, though the android market is getting pretty robust with apps that match at least a lot of what the iPhone offers, certainly everything that I need.
    Gadget

Use a smart phone, weighs about the same as anything else. No spare battery. Charge in town. (restaurants will let you charge) Turn on ONCE per day (night) to journal via email, if no signal turn on the following day when you hit a mountain peak. (corresponds to a break) If no signal for several days, you'll have a backlog but this only happened twice for me.

System worked great, AND I was completely up to date and was able to get immediate comments from the inevitable group of followers!

" Use a smart phone, weighs about the same as anything else. No spare battery. Charge in town. (restaurants will let you charge) Turn on ONCE per day (night) to journal via email, if no signal turn on the following day when you hit a mountain peak. (corresponds to a break) If no signal for several days, you'll have a backlog but this only happened twice for me."
    I think that a person has to be a bit careful in taking specific advice like this as what works great for one person causes issues for another. One issue is all the different ways in which a smartphone is used --- for me it's my only camera, which sucks up some additional power. I occasionally look for weather reports on-trail, and even very infrequently on the AT, as a GPS. So I preferred having a spare battery.

Simiarly, "journal via email" --- IMO it's better to only turn on the cell phone radio (or wi-fi or whatever) to upload something that's already been typed up ahead of time. Any sort of wireless (cell, wi-fi, blue tooth, GPS) sucks power pretty fast. So however the journal is being uploaded, typing it up ahead of time in some sort of text editor was the better approach for me. Then I could just copy/paste into the proper place on the mobile-friendly version of Postholer's site (postholer offers an email interface as well, I just found it find to plug the text in directly on the site).

Different ways to do this stuff, and of course in some aspects I definitely agree with robconr, for example, when into town just for a restaurant meal, ask to sit at a table that's next to a wall outlet.
    Gadget

I'm waiting for someone to come up with a blank journal book for the Kindle. Since the device has a keyboard which you can add notes to an ebook, it seems like an obvious thing to do. Maybe someone already has that app available. And since it also has Wi-Fi and a browser, up loading to trailsjournal would also seem to be possible, maybe using cut and paste. The Kindle also solves the problem of how to carry 6 months worth of books.

The solution I have been using is a little PDA with Wi-Fi. Having your own pocket PC is nice since a lot of places have open wi-fi and you don't have to get in line to use the computer. And its a lot cheaper in the long run then a smart phone with data service. Unless you alreay have one and all the services.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

I used a Blackberry for my journaling. There is a memo pad feature and I used that to journal in....after I was done I would than open up the internet browser and copy and paste my entry and send it home to my sister....she would than post it to Trail Journals. Because I was not opening the browser when I journaled the battery would last quite a long time....plus I only opened the internet once a day. Plenty of places to plug in along the way to charge it back up. The only drawback to this was the cost and the two year contract....upgrading to the BB was about $30 more per month on my bill.

Hope this helps.

-MEB

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++