WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: SLR Tri-pods

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Celeste View Post
    Thanks for all the suggestions, I'm checking out the link now. I am not satisified with a monopod with the type of night shots I'm looking forward to, the shutter will be open way too long and I must have a tripod.
    Can't you effectively make a tripod with a monopod, 2 stakes and guylines? Non-stretch dyneema cord would be best. As the last poster said, this is the ultra-light forum. A big fat tripod in addition to a big fat slr is hardly ultra-light. You should be able to test this out at home. Right now.

Quote Originally Posted by SMSP View Post
    There is no point and shoot digital camera quality that can compare to an SLR.
    The detail you're gonna get will blow any point and shoot away IMO.

SMSP
    http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/kidding.shtml

I agree with you to some degree, but this is still pretty interesting.

Anyway, check out this tripod thread at BPL. Neat stuff:

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-...hread_id=14867

Thanks for this thread - I found this tripod which looks like the one they were using in the BPL thread:
    http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.1309
    For $1.50 I figure I'll make one & see how I like it.

Some of those mini flexible tripods break off easily where the legs are inserted into the top part.
    I would add a good amount of epoxy glue there. (just in case...)
    Do keep in mind that they are meant for compact cameras. That is 10-15 oz max.
    Franco

Images

Does anyone hike with SLR camera gear? Yeah I know, it packs on the pounds, but I'm going to do it and my mind's made up. Done it before, not for 4 months, but I'm going to go for it. It's 50% of my drive on the AT deu to a photography project im working on. Is anyone has, what tri-pod did you find to be the lightest but still sturdy enough to hold up an slr with decent lens weight? Nothing over the top huge...
    I'm torn up about this..I so wanna bring mine but here's no way...I hate that I can't..{read; won't}..way to much weight ..I shoot on a Nikon D2H...but..
    this might help you..since I don't know what you're shotting with??..what lens are you planning on carrying ?? IMO stay away from the mono..I have and use one all the time, I would never try to "rig" my gear to stand up on a mono...something about having a $4k body and $1k lens smashing into the rocks ...

soo ..here goes.. I have a Slik Sprint Pro GM...not sure what I paid for it but it collapses down pretty small and for a tri-pod is very light...it's holds my D2H with 300mm lens.. always use your timer so that any movement will "settle''..especially if you're going to shoot with a low ISO...you can use a small weighted bag hanging on the tri-pod to stabilize it..highly recommended if there's any wind at all ...
    I also have a folding mini tri-pod that works well... but you'd have to find a perfect spot to place..it's great on tables... IMO...and I love the Gorilla-pods..won't hold the weight of a SLR and a fast lens ... FWIW.. I'm bring a Gorilla-pod with my P&S...Damn I'll miss my SLR...
    back to the mono...if you're camera is never going to leave your hands..I use that... if you're going to do some self portraits or timed exposures.. use a tri-pod
    lenses.. again..not sure what you're using but Tamron makes a 70-300 that'll stop down to f1.4--5.6 and is fairly light... this will cover most shooting scenarios...add a 18-55 and you'll have the wide-tele range covered..

here's a link to my website...http://DaringImages.com

can't wait to view your images here ...good luck and hope this long-winded reply helps.. feel free to ask me anything

Images

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by dloome View Post
    http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/kidding.shtml

I agree with you to some degree, but this is still pretty interesting.

Anyway, check out this tripod thread at BPL. Neat stuff:

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-...hread_id=14867
    Awesome Link...

Not committing until I graduate! Sassafras Lass's Avatar
    Images

Does anyone hike with SLR camera gear? Yeah I know, it packs on the pounds, but I'm going to do it and my mind's made up. Done it before, not for 4 months, but I'm going to go for it. It's 50% of my drive on the AT deu to a photography project im working on. Is anyone has, what tri-pod did you find to be the lightest but still sturdy enough to hold up an slr with decent lens weight? Nothing over the top huge...
    I envy you, you're going to have an awesome time! The AT is our priority but whenever I can add that D700 and some great glass to my repetoire I'm getting back in the wilderness and shooting my heart out.
    Formerly 'F-Stop'

If you don't like the road you're walking, start paving another one.

~ Dolly Parton

Not committing until I graduate! Sassafras Lass's Avatar
    Images

Whoops - repertoire.

Meant to add that I just got the Joby Gorilla tripod and I'm in love
    Formerly 'F-Stop'

If you don't like the road you're walking, start paving another one.

~ Dolly Parton

Images

I used to carry a SLR all the time (FM2n with 35-105). Recently it's been P&S. With all the light-weight gear I've invested in the past few years, no reason I shouldn't be able to splurge and carry my D40 and a couple of Nikon's light lenses. It's pretty small and light as dSLRs go and the results are unquestionably better. I have not been satisfied with the photos from the P&S.

Next trip for sure. :-)

In response to OP, I've carried a Gorillapod for the P&S. For the SLR I always just used a log, rock or a small stuff sack with some socks and shirts in it. Worked pretty good.
    Last edited by Lyle; 12-18-2010 at 20:32.

Images

http://thestickpic.com/

Here's a awesome gadget...not SLR worthy... but for us that'll be carrying a P&S...it's pretty kool....Damn I'll miss my Nikon

In 1990 I carried 2 SLR bodies, 1 with B&W and the other with chrome. A 28mm, 50mm, 135mm, a 2x converter (used manly as an extension tube), a small flash, a shutter release cable, 4-5 rolls of film at a time and a small aluminum tripod. The tripod was only 14" while collapsed and carried along the outside of my pack. It would go to about 30" when extended. I used it constantly. In 2002 I used a smal point and shoot with print film. The 1990 gear was alot heavier but those are also the photos that are better quality and I like to look at. I shot 16,000 frames of film on the 1990 trip (13 months long) and only 300 frames of the 2002 trip (6 months). If you want memories take point and shoot. If you are a photographer, take the gear.

geek

I recently had this same dSLR Vs P&S debate:
    http://photography-on-the.net/forum/...d.php?t=980700

In the end I think, for me anyway, practicality wins out. So far I've decided to leave the 5D2 + lenses & accessories home and take the G12 instead (but I still have at least a year to change my mind ).

Images

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Sonno View Post
    I recently had this same dSLR Vs P&S debate:
    http://photography-on-the.net/forum/...d.php?t=980700

In the end I think, for me anyway, practicality wins out. So far I've decided to leave the 5D2 + lenses & accessories home and take the G12 instead (but I still have at least a year to change my mind ).
    That G12 is awesome....and that's coming from a Nikonian....

Images

SMSP

This should:
    http://www.digitalcamerareview.com/d...sp?newsID=4624

This should offer much higher quality than most point and shoot at a much lower price:
    http://www.digitalcamerareview.com/d...sp?newsID=4621

I believe with these cameras, it ultimately comes down to the lens quality. If their lenses suck, then the pictures will suffer, but of course you could also put a low quality lens on an SLR with the same result.

Habitual Hiker
    Journal Entries

I am taking a vivitar tripod it weighs um 1.4 lbs while it is heavy I have figured out a weighh to cut down on the weight dramaticly which reminds me I need to get on that I am going o drill hole through the legs all over I think I can cut by a third like this if not a little more it extends to 56 inches and I got it for free at a yardsale they said the stuff the couldnt sell was going for free I was there neighbor and they gave it to me
    Still Going.... Cancer survivor of 13 years!!!!!!!

SMSP
    I carry an SLR (Canon 5D Mark II) out west, when hiking Yosemite, Glacier, Alaska, and other big time eye candy areas. IMO the AT is just not that photogenic, MOST of the time. If I were doing a thru this year I would just use my cell phone (there are some great Apps making cell phone pics better than you think). Pics from a cell phone are easily shared with others on the fly or sent to the web. On a thru its the people shots that will mean the most to you and you just don't need an SLR for those.

Celeste - If you are set on taking one you will prob want a regular height tripod over a Gorillapod. I find the Gorillapod great out west but you will find ground-level shots on the AT not as common due to the vegetation. A regular size tripod will give you more shots. Yes, the Gorillapod can be wrapped around a tree but in my experience the trees are not often in the right place. If you go too light on a regular-size tripod you will find that it just is not stable in anything but light winds. A monopod just isn't going to gain you much. That is more of a sports item.
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

EC Hiker
    I suspect that you will save very little weight by drilling holes through the legs and risk compromising the strength of it...
    Franco

I'm glad I'm not the only one taking my DSLR! I know it is extra weight and I will scale back other things to compromise this but my thinking is that if I don't take it, it will be what I regret the most.

On the tripod, I have a Gorillapod and don't like it, it isn't meant for the heavier lens. I have another tripod/monopod that folds down small but is not so light that I worry about my gear. I only paid $40 for it at Wolf Camera (or Ritz Camera, same place different name) and while it isn't video production quality smoothness if panning, it is a good trail tripod and didn't break the bank (so I could get better glass, lol).
    It weighs 3.3 and I know that is a lot for this ultralite thread, my camera is important to me, maybe more so than something else I might not need so it is a weight I will deal with.

http://www.wolfcamera.com/product/291660843.htm
    "Why not go out on a limb? Isn't that where the fruit is?"
    - Frank Scully

I finally made one of the tripods, using the $2 mini tripod from dealextreme & some old Easton aluminum tent poles I had. Weighs 9.7 oz & holds my video camera & SLR pretty well. It's not steady enough for long exposures, but that could be remedied by hanging a weight from it. Not sure if I'll actually use it hiking, but it was fun to make & practically free.

I spotted this one in town yesterday :
    http://www.zipshottripod.com/

11 oz,44" H, holds up to 3 lbs
    Franco

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++