WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by HeartFire View Post
    Shutterbug,

Your information was very helpful for my trip last year.
    I met one guy (near INdian Bar) that was doing a trail run - the entire WT - he sais it would take him 24 - 27 hrs! yikes, I can't imagine doing some of that trail after dark, even though it was a full moon, parts of the trail he would have been on after dark were very sketchy, crumbling off the edge of the cliff.
    On one of my hikes, I met two soldiers who were doing the entire trail in 24 hours. About 20 hours had elapesed when I saw them. I quote, "This is the dumbest thing we have ever done." Both of them said they wanted to return and hike it at a pace where they could enjoy the hike.

I am glad the information I provided was helpful.
    Shutterbug

I have this trail on my list for this fall if everything goes well.
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

I have this trail on my Life List. Someday...once I finish the AT in ~2015.
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

I have done it twice and what a beautiful trail! Could do again for sure

Quote Originally Posted by ChinMusic View Post
    I have this trail on my list for this fall if everything goes well.
    Be sure to get your application in early. The NPS starts taking requests on 3/15 and has a drawing on 4/1. It isn't too early to start making your plans.
    Shutterbug

Garlic
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Shutterbug View Post
    Be sure to get your application in early. The NPS starts taking requests on 3/15 and has a drawing on 4/1. It isn't too early to start making your plans.
    This is always a good idea, but Chin, if you go in fall you probably won't have much trouble getting a walk-in permit. The crowds start thinning down then. I had no problem getting my first choices when I walked in in late September, even a choice spot at Indian Bar. I expressed surprise and the ranger said they always get walk-ins on the mountain. Maybe you don't get your first choice or the prime spots, or you get a longer or shorter day than you want, but they get you out there.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

Quote Originally Posted by garlic08 View Post
    This is always a good idea, but Chin, if you go in fall you probably won't have much trouble getting a walk-in permit. The crowds start thinning down then. I had no problem getting my first choices when I walked in in late September, even a choice spot at Indian Bar. I expressed surprise and the ranger said they always get walk-ins on the mountain. Maybe you don't get your first choice or the prime spots, or you get a longer or shorter day than you want, but they get you out there.
    Garlic08 is right, but if you are going to fly in from Illinois you probably would like to have your plan in place in advance. I often visit Mt. Rainier during the summer and have never failed to get a permit on a walk-in basis. It isn't always the camps I prefer, but the NPS does a good job of finding a way for a person to get in a hike.

I also agree with Garlic08 that Indian Bar is the "choice spot."

The second "choice spot" is Dick Creek. There are only two tent spaces at Dick Creek and only one of those is the "choice spot." You wouldn't want that site if you have a fear of heights, but it has a fantastic view. The site is right on the edge of a cliff that looks down on the Carbon Glacier (the largest glacier in the lower 48).
    Shutterbug

Default Wonderland Trail during the winter

My son was in Mt. Rainier National Park last week (mid-February). He stopped at the view point on the west side and was approached by a group of tourists visiting from Japan. They were dressed in street cloths with only light jackets. The time was already well past noon. The leader of the group said, "We want to visit Indian Henry's Hunting Ground. Can you tell us how to get there?" They were disappointed to learn that the trail leading to Indian Henry's (the Wonderland Trail) is under more than 20 feet of snow at this time. Even in the fall, after the snow has melted, a day hike to Indian Henry's is an all day hike.

My reason for sharing the story is that too many people plan hikes on the Wonderland Trail without taking into account the amount of snow that falls on Mt. Rainier. I got an email from someone last week who is planning to hike th Wonderland Trail in May. The NPS web site says that the Wonderland Trail isn't normally open until late June. Last year there was still a lot of snow on the trail in July. The chart the NPS uses to report on Backcountry Camp Availabilty doesn't even start until June 15.
    Shutterbug

Dang it guys - You are giving me the itch.....
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

+ 1 on Shutterbug's choice spots. The thing with this trail is that it's all fabulous, and almost all up or down hill.6 Big Tree.jpg10 On the West side.jpg39 Indian Bar.jpg
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Does anyone have a guess as to how the snow levels are going to be this year compared to last year. We were at Paradise the first week of August last summer on a family vacation and the snow was still everywhere. My older daughter and myself are planning on hiking the trail in early August this year and the chance of having our plans screwed up by late snow melt are at the top of our worry list..(among many other things) .

Quote Originally Posted by Anchorsawy View Post
    Does anyone have a guess as to how the snow levels are going to be this year compared to last year. We were at Paradise the first week of August last summer on a family vacation and the snow was still everywhere. My older daughter and myself are planning on hiking the trail in early August this year and the chance of having our plans screwed up by late snow melt are at the top of our worry list..(among many other things) .
    The snow season isn't over, but from all reports this year has been more "normal" than last year. On a "normal" year there will still be some snow on the trail in early August, but the route will be well enough marked that route finding won't be a big issue. There will snow over Panhandle Gap. There always is in August. There could still be snow in the Fozen Lakes Area and between Spray Park and Seattle Park on the alternate route.

Enjoy your hike, I may see you there. I usually spend a lot of August on the Wonderland Trail.
    Shutterbug

Thanks Shutterbug. I've been doing a lot of reading while planning of this trip and your posts have helped me a bunch. I'd like to run our itinerary by you when I get it figured out and get your input if you wouldn't mind. Thanks again.

Thanks Shutterbug. I've been doing a lot of reading while planning of this trip and your posts have helped me a bunch. I'd like to run our itinerary by you when I get it figured out and get your input if you wouldn't mind. Thanks again.

I will be pleased to express an opinion. I have camped at every site but one and have inspected it.
    Shutterbug

Just to stick my nose in, The Spray Park alternate route is not to be missed.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Images

Default Indian Henry

IMGP1909.JPGIMGP1910.JPGThis is Indian Henry hunting ground. I felt like I had died and gone to heaven here! We spent our first night at Mosquito Haven (Devils Dream) and hiked out here in the afternoon. I"m so glad we did because the morning when we hiked back through here, the flowers weren't open yet and it didn't look half as beautiful.

I spoke to the rangers at the start of our hike, and they said you can ALWASY get a walk in permit as long as you are flexible in where you start and what direction you go in. It's also possible to get your campsites changed. We switched from Carbon River to Dicks Creek - met a ranger on the trail, she was able to call in and make the change.

Okay. This is the lay out of our trip as of now. We are figuring 10 nights on the trail.

Start is at Sunrise.
    Sunrise to Summerland.
    Summerland to Indian Bar.
    Indian Bar to Nickle Creek.
    Nickle Creek to Paradise River.
    Paradise River to Pyramid Creek. (Pick up cache at Longmire).
    Pyramid Creek to Klapatche Park.
    Klapatche Park to Golden Lakes.
    Golden Lakes to South Mowich River.
    South Mowich River to Cataract Valley. (Via Spray Park. Thanks Feral Bill).
    Cataract Valley to Mystic Camp.
    Mystic Camp to Sunrise.

A little info on us. My daughter is graduating from college this spring so this trip was basically her idea as something to do with her Dad although I've know about the trail and wanted to do something like this for years. She is 22 and in great shape, I'll be 57 and am in fair shape,(working on getting in great shape now). We have been accumulating light weight gear and have the majority of it bought. We "think" we have a pretty good idea of what we're in for, physically and mentally. I picked the first 3 camps based on everyones ideas in these forums and people's blogs. One of the concerns I have (among a number, is the Pyramid Creek to Klapatche Park day. Looks like it could be a long and challenging day. We are trying to avoid Devil's Dream and the skeeters. Also, neither one of us is crazy about heights and exposure, (Bette Filley warns about the exposed sections on Emerald Ridge) and my daughter loved reading about that! I think we'll get acclimated to it after a couple of days on the trail. That's also the reason we bypassed camping at Dick Creek. Sounds cool but we wonder how much sleep we'd get on the edge of a cliff.
    Anyway, I realize this is long but I would love to hear everyone's input and suggestions. March 15th is coming up!
    Thanks.

Images

DSC05221.jpgIMGP1993.jpgIMGP1994.jpgIMGP2025.jpg
    View from Klapache park, Sunset at Golden Lakes and Spray Park - not to be missed.

You can have a food drop at Mowich lake also, that way you only carry about 3 days of food max.

I've been considering that and probably will do it. Have there ever been any issues with mailed caches not being there or is it pretty seamless?

Images

I've been considering that and probably will do it. Have there ever been any issues with mailed caches not being there or is it pretty seamless?
    It was seamless for us - I bought 2 gal plastic paint cans at Lowes, I thought we were going to have a problem at White River (Sunrise was closed for the season) the ranger at the station didn't have a clue about food caches, but when he called in and was told where to find them (In the metal box behind the building) there was our food safe and sound) You and your daughter could share a 5 gal bucket.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
++ New Posts ++