WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

[QUOTE=. March 15th is coming up!
    Thanks.[/QUOTE] You're not planning to do the Wonderland Trail in March, I hope. If it's not impossible, it's sure close to it.
    Last edited by Feral Bill; 03-02-2012 at 00:03.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

No. Early August is the plan.

Quote Originally Posted by Anchorsawy View Post
    Okay. This is the lay out of our trip as of now. We are figuring 10 nights on the trail.

Start is at Sunrise.
    Sunrise to Summerland.
    Summerland to Indian Bar.
    Indian Bar to Nickle Creek.
    Nickle Creek to Paradise River.
    Paradise River to Pyramid Creek. (Pick up cache at Longmire).
    Pyramid Creek to Klapatche Park.
    Klapatche Park to Golden Lakes.
    Golden Lakes to South Mowich River.
    South Mowich River to Cataract Valley. (Via Spray Park. Thanks Feral Bill).
    Cataract Valley to Mystic Camp.
    Mystic Camp to Sunrise.

A little info on us. My daughter is graduating from college this spring so this trip was basically her idea as something to do with her Dad although I've know about the trail and wanted to do something like this for years. She is 22 and in great shape, I'll be 57 and am in fair shape,(working on getting in great shape now). We have been accumulating light weight gear and have the majority of it bought. We "think" we have a pretty good idea of what we're in for, physically and mentally. I picked the first 3 camps based on everyones ideas in these forums and people's blogs. One of the concerns I have (among a number, is the Pyramid Creek to Klapatche Park day. Looks like it could be a long and challenging day. We are trying to avoid Devil's Dream and the skeeters. Also, neither one of us is crazy about heights and exposure, (Bette Filley warns about the exposed sections on Emerald Ridge) and my daughter loved reading about that! I think we'll get acclimated to it after a couple of days on the trail. That's also the reason we bypassed camping at Dick Creek. Sounds cool but we wonder how much sleep we'd get on the edge of a cliff.
    Anyway, I realize this is long but I would love to hear everyone's input and suggestions. March 15th is coming up!
    Thanks.
    Great!! You have obviously done your homework. It is a good plan.

All of your camp selections are good. You already know that I would have selected Dick Creek rather than Mystic Lake, but if you are worried about heights you made the right choice. Mystic Lake is a good choice.

The hike from Pyramid Creek to Klapatche will be full day, but I have done it several times. Sunrise at Klapatche Park is an experience you will never forget. The views from Emerald Ridge are great. The exposure there would only be an issue if you were in a thunderstrom. As you pass South Puyallup Camp it is worth the short delay to visit the "devil's pipe organ" which is about 1/3 a mile off the Wonderland Trail on the trail that goes from South Puyallup to the West Side Road.

Shutterbug
    Shutterbug

Your itinerary leaves you enough time to enjoy the constant stream of scenery. Good choice. Do report back.

Thanks for all the help. Really looking forward to it.

Journal Entries

I will be out at Rainier for 16 days.. I have been there before and have done a lot of the better days hikes, so I have extra time this trip... My current plan was a 9 day loop of the wonderland trail followed by some hiking on the PCT.. I keep going back and forth between the 'true' wonderland trail and the route through Spray Park... My question is, would it be worth doing both trails... Day 3 would put me at South Mowich... Day 4 would end at Carbon River or Cataract Valley via the Wonderland Trail.. Then shoot south through Spray Park and back up The Wonderalnd Trail to Ipsut Creek... I realize that I would be doing part of the trail twice, but what the heck, it still beats working.... Opinions?

Quote Originally Posted by 32ozgatorade View Post
    I will be out at Rainier for 16 days.. I have been there before and have done a lot of the better days hikes, so I have extra time this trip... My current plan was a 9 day loop of the wonderland trail followed by some hiking on the PCT.. I keep going back and forth between the 'true' wonderland trail and the route through Spray Park... My question is, would it be worth doing both trails... Day 3 would put me at South Mowich... Day 4 would end at Carbon River or Cataract Valley via the Wonderland Trail.. Then shoot south through Spray Park and back up The Wonderalnd Trail to Ipsut Creek... I realize that I would be doing part of the trail twice, but what the heck, it still beats working.... Opinions?
    Spray Park is worth doing twice. I would take a couple of days more for the whole trail,
    but I like to loaf around camp, gawking at the surroundings.

What you are considering is known as "Mother Mountain Loop." You didn't say what time of year you will be hiking. From August and later the hike through Seattle Park and Spray Park is spectacular for wild flowers. Before August the views of the summit are still great, but the wild flowers will still be at lower elevations.

I would also recommend the short detour to Spray Falls. I often see hikers who are doing the Mother Mountain Loop pass right by the falls, which are less than 1/4 mile off the main trail. Spray Falls is one of the most beautiful falls in Mount Rainier National Park. Take the time to do the side trail.

The part of the trail you will be seeing twice is interesting. On a foggy day Ipsuit Pass is spectacular. You will be hiking throught Ipsuit Pass the better direction. The Wonderland Trail between Ipsuit Pass and Ipsuit Creek is pretty steep. I perfer to do it hiking down hill.

If it were my choice, I between the Carbon River Camp and Cataract Valley, I would choose Cataract Valley.

For your PCT portion, I recommend the Goat Rocks Wilderness. (August or later).
    Shutterbug

Journal Entries

Thank you both for the info!!!! I will be out there from Aug 3 to the 19th... Looking to start the Wonderland Trail anytime from the 5th thru the 8th.. depending on what dates they get me will determine what else I can do.. I was thinking about the PCT loop out of Ohanapecosh north to Chinook Pass and then head south past Shriners Peak, but again, I need to get the wonderland permit first.. Thanks again for the info!!!

I'll just add this: 32ozgatorade is capable of some pretty big miles. A slow itinerary may not suit him.
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ChinMusic View Post
    I'll just add this: 32ozgatorade is capable of some pretty big miles. A slow itinerary may not suit him.
    Hey CM.. No, gonna take this one slow.. Gem is hiking this with me, and if I want to still have a girlfriend when I'm done, I need to scale the mileage and speed back... I have already slashed a day off of the promised 10 days (it may have even started off at 11), so with adding miles I need to bump up the days...

Gonna relax and enjoy this one!!!!!

'32oz

Hey CM.. No, gonna take this one slow.. Gem is hiking this with me, and if I want to still have a girlfriend when I'm done, I need to scale the mileage and speed back... I have already slashed a day off of the promised 10 days (it may have even started off at 11), so with adding miles I need to bump up the days...

Gonna relax and enjoy this one!!!!!

'32oz
    Just one more comment. When considering how many miles to hike per day on the Wonderland Trail be sure to take into account the changes in elevation. There are over 20,000 feet of elevation gain. Some miles are a lot harder than others.
    Shutterbug

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Shutterbug View Post
    Just one more comment. When considering how many miles to hike per day on the Wonderland Trail be sure to take into account the changes in elevation. There are over 20,000 feet of elevation gain. Some miles are a lot harder than others.

Thanks shutterbug.. I have a spreadsheet with the disatance and elevation gain between campsites, and have been working off of that. I've done rainier, and summitted Mt Adams in a day, so I at least have some baseline to go off of.. I'm keeping milage and gains fairly low so I can enjoy the views, but I dont want to reduce it too much... Im also trying to take into account side trips to Tolmie Peak Mt Freemont Etc...

Either way, I'm reallly looking forward to getting back out there!!!!

'32oz

Default Daily Average

Thanks shutterbug.. I have a spreadsheet with the disatance and elevation gain between campsites, and have been working off of that. I've done rainier, and summitted Mt Adams in a day, so I at least have some baseline to go off of.. I'm keeping milage and gains fairly low so I can enjoy the views, but I dont want to reduce it too much... Im also trying to take into account side trips to Tolmie Peak Mt Freemont Etc...

Either way, I'm reallly looking forward to getting back out there!!!!

'32oz

You won't have a problem. I usually do the Wonderland in 9 days (8 nights). On most days, I complete the planned hike by early afternoon. Late afternoon is my favorite time for observing the beauty, especially the wild life. Most of the animals I have seen are out in the late afternoon. Here are the best places to watch for animals:

Black Bears -- Kaplachie Park, Summerland and Indian Bar.
    Marmots -- Emerald Ridge, Summerland and Spray Park
    Elk -- around Reflection Lakes and around Summerland
    Black Tailed Deer -- south side and west side.
    Mountain Goats -- Panhandle Gap
    Golden Eagles -- Indian Bar

Other animals that can be seen almost anywhere:
    Pine Martin
    Pica
    Chipmonks (They are in every camp.)
    Porcupine
    Racoons
    Grey Foxes
    Squirrels -- the small red ones
    Bald Eagles
    Stellar's jays
    Grey Jays (known as "camp robbers")
    Shutterbug

Journal Entries

Thanks Shutterbug!!

One last quick question please... I think I am going to spend one extra day on the trail.. I'm thinking of spending one night at Sunrise camp, and resupplying.. the next day I want to do some hikes in that area.. Glacier Basin etc, before moving on... I was looking at camping at White River Campground, but cant figure out how that works... Do I put it on the permit and pay when I get there, do I make reservations, or like the one book says, is it free for hikers doing the Wonderland Trail....

I wont bore you with the rest of the details, but it looks like 11 days, 10 nights with tripsto Tolmie Peak, an out and back through Spray Park and a trip to Mt Freemont included.. Thank you for all of your advice and help!!

'32oz

Thanks Shutterbug!!

One last quick question please... I think I am going to spend one extra day on the trail.. I'm thinking of spending one night at Sunrise camp, and resupplying.. the next day I want to do some hikes in that area.. Glacier Basin etc, before moving on... I was looking at camping at White River Campground, but cant figure out how that works... Do I put it on the permit and pay when I get there, do I make reservations, or like the one book says, is it free for hikers doing the Wonderland Trail....

I wont bore you with the rest of the details, but it looks like 11 days, 10 nights with tripsto Tolmie Peak, an out and back through Spray Park and a trip to Mt Freemont included.. Thank you for all of your advice and help!!

'32oz
    I apologize, but I don't know the answer. I have used the White River Ranger Station for a cache, but I have not camped there. I don't like to camp where everyone else is car camping. At Sunrise, the camp for those hiking the Wonderland Trail is about 1/4 mile away from the cars. At White River, the camping is right next to the road. If I were you, I would just stay at Sunrise for two nights or would go on to Summerland.

My impression is that the Rangers sometimes use the White River Camp to fill out a plan. Summerland and Indian Bar are the first two camps to fill up. When they are full, the rangers will sometimes suggest White River Walk-in and Olallie Creek Camps as alternates.

Have you considered doing the Northern Loop Trail? With the time you are allowing, it could be a good option. I have not done it, but it is one of my son's favorite hikes. He says it is spectacular.
    Shutterbug

Quote Originally Posted by Shutterbug View Post
    I apologize, but I don't know the answer. I have used the White River Ranger Station for a cache, but I have not camped there. I don't like to camp where everyone else is car camping. At Sunrise, the camp for those hiking the Wonderland Trail is about 1/4 mile away from the cars. At White River, the camping is right next to the road. If I were you, I would just stay at Sunrise for two nights or would go on to Summerland.

My impression is that the Rangers sometimes use the White River Camp to fill out a plan. Summerland and Indian Bar are the first two camps to fill up. When they are full, the rangers will sometimes suggest White River Walk-in and Olallie Creek Camps as alternates.

Have you considered doing the Northern Loop Trail? With the time you are allowing, it could be a good option. I have not done it, but it is one of my son's favorite hikes. He says it is spectacular.
    I did not find the Sunrise campground to be especially attractive, but the area looks to have some fine day hikes. Also, there is hot food and cold beer for the buying, which I like after a few days out.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Feral Bill View Post
    I did not find the Sunrise campground to be especially attractive, but the area looks to have some fine day hikes. Also, there is hot food and cold beer for the buying, which I like after a few days out.
    Thanks for the information!! DO you know anything about the Glacier Basin Campground.. Maybe I'll head there for a night...

Thanks again!!!

'32oz

Thanks for the information!! DO you know anything about the Glacier Basin Campground.. Maybe I'll head there for a night...

Thanks again!!!

'32oz
    I have not been to the Glacier Basin Campground, but it should be spectacular. It is at the same elevation as Summerland and has similar views.

Because Summerland is one of my favorite camps, when I hike through that area, I am usually on my way to Summerland. It is probable that you will still have snow at both of those camps in August. Here is a link to my album from last August 11, when I hiked to Summerland -- https://picasaweb.google.com/1129680...eat=directlink As you can see from the pictures, some of the camp sites were bare, but some were still under snow.

The Glacier Basin Camp is by the Emmons Glacier. The NPS website says it is the "largest" glacier in the lower 48. It says the same thing about the Carbon Glacier. A little research reveals that the Carbon Glacier is the thickest, the longest and has the most volume. The Emmons Glacier has the most surface area. I guess they can both be accurately called "largest."
    Shutterbug

Journal Entries

Ah yes, the proverbial busy fax machine....

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
++ New Posts ++